cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

change email password "You can't use that password. Please choose another. "

SophieMorell
Joining in

I have had the same email account with Virgin for more than 30 years (yes, thirty years) so not a new subscriber. Yesterday I couldn't sign in because my email was "not available at the moment." After 10 hours waiting, I tried to change my password as suggested by the automated help instructions. Whatever password I invent,  I only get the message "You can't use that password. Please choose another." Sadly, I have to tell you that my whole life depends on my email account. Everyone I know, every item I've bought, every bit of essential information I need, every website I've used, everything, comes through my Virgin email address. My life is in pieces. I had to create another Virgin email account with a pseudonym in order to post here because I can't get into my own original, antique, vintage 30 year-old email account to find out the password for my original community account. Someone from Virgin, please sort this for me. I had my 70th birthday last June and waiting for days or weeks is really not an option. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@SophieMorell, I had no issue applying the password (WXfjiazwAFdZP2t) so it is likely an underlying system issue causing all passwords to be rejected for the account. Good to read the forum team have responded and hopefully will resolve the issue soon.

Once you regain control of the email account then as a matter of urgency you should:

• confirm all your accounts have their My Virgin Media | Virgin Media > Account settings > Account details > Password recovery question set and recorded somewhere in case a password reset is required
  • create new email accounts elsewhere and migrate over to them ASAP
  • update any services using the Virgin Media email addresses to your new email addresses
  • once migration is complete consider posting here to ask the forum team to delete the email addresses to avoid their possible exploitation by some miscreant in future

FYI: use of Virgin Media's email service has always been tied to having their internet service and 90 days after its termination all email addresses linked to the account should have been permanently deleted. Alas Virgin Media have been less than diligent in:

• informing customers of this when they leave
  • the deletion of email accounts after 90 days
  • informing users of email accounts that have continued to exist beyond 90 days of their pending / imminent deletion

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Issue has been flagged to the forum team who are best placed to help further; be aware it can take them a few hours / days to respond, though it is usually the former.

Whilst waiting consider post a rejected password that:

• is not used elsewhere
  • will not be used in future

so that I can confirm its rejection is due to something other than the password itself.

FYI: if the email account is not linked to an active broadband with Virgin Media (or more that 90 days have passed since it was terminated) then it is at risk of being deleted without notice.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Thank you for your reply, very insightful person. I have tried several/many different passwords, all of which met the necessary criteria and had never been used elsewhere. Firefox generated one for me, WXfjiazwAFdZP2t, which was also rejected. I have been through the process using both Chrome and Firefox. I have cleared cookies and cache, and disabled pop-up and advert blockers. I am very alarmed that you suggest the account can be cancelled without notice if I no longer have broadband from Virgin. I have been in my new home for two years and Virgin's network does not cover my post code, but it has not been a problem up to now.  I await news from the forum team with some trepidation.

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums @SophieMorell, and I'm sorry to hear of the distress this has caused you.

Check out the purple envelope in the top right hand corner and I'll do all I can to have this resolved for you.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@SophieMorell, I had no issue applying the password (WXfjiazwAFdZP2t) so it is likely an underlying system issue causing all passwords to be rejected for the account. Good to read the forum team have responded and hopefully will resolve the issue soon.

Once you regain control of the email account then as a matter of urgency you should:

• confirm all your accounts have their My Virgin Media | Virgin Media > Account settings > Account details > Password recovery question set and recorded somewhere in case a password reset is required
  • create new email accounts elsewhere and migrate over to them ASAP
  • update any services using the Virgin Media email addresses to your new email addresses
  • once migration is complete consider posting here to ask the forum team to delete the email addresses to avoid their possible exploitation by some miscreant in future

FYI: use of Virgin Media's email service has always been tied to having their internet service and 90 days after its termination all email addresses linked to the account should have been permanently deleted. Alas Virgin Media have been less than diligent in:

• informing customers of this when they leave
  • the deletion of email accounts after 90 days
  • informing users of email accounts that have continued to exist beyond 90 days of their pending / imminent deletion

Thanks again, very insightful person. It will take me some time to absorb, understand and implement your advice. I shall no doubt be needing the assistance of the forum again. I am hoping against hope that Virgin will allow me to continue to use my old email account, it's been the longest, most faithful partner I've ever had ...