Menu
Highlighted
hotwire
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

cannot change my user name on account

had my email hacked and have recovered it and now want to change my username.

I have changed it and received the email confirming that its changed, but its asking me to click on the link which is not present in the confirmation email?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: cannot change my user name on account

Hi hotwire,

Thank you for your post. I'm sorry to hear this. 

Have you received any other emails? 

^Martin

0 Kudos
hotwire
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I'm still getting emails to my old account but when I try to log into new one it says please confirm your new account but I cannot see a link to confirm this and have tried to re send the email and that does not come 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

What device are you accessing these on?

^Martin

0 Kudos
hotwire
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Smart phone and PC 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

On the email confirming the user name has changed is there any links on there? 

^Martin

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I had hoped that I would not have to reply to this thread because what has gone wrong is so completely obvious and forms a regular part of the Forum traffic that a simple search would have thrown up the answer. But I see I will have to intervene.

You cannot change your VM username for another username which is also a VM address, or looks like one. The only way you can change a username is to swap it for a third party e-mail address that you have access to - like an Outlook.com or GMail address. That is when you receive the confirmatory e-mail. And the link would work because it refers to an address that exists externally to the VM single sign on system.

This is particularly relevant if the VM username happens to be your primary e-mail address. That address still subsists after a change to a third party address. All that the change would do is to change the log-in details for web mail and My Virginmedia.  Using an e-mail client the username remains the VM address.

All that the OP can do is log-in to My Virginmedia using the original username and associated password and reverse the change. The OP will be prompted to do that. If the OP doesn't do that their system will become unstable and fail eventually affecting their ability to both use e-mail and My Virginmedia.

If you want a new VM username, or put it another way an e-mail address to replace the one that was hacked,  you will have to create a new VM e-mail address in My Virginmedia and use that instead, reserving the primary e-mail address for logging into My Virginmedia. So that you can manage your VM account in its totality.

VM's help files are consistently awful in explaining this properly which is why we get this question and issue asked about so regularly.

That is how VM's systems are set up and no amount of making enquiries will lead to any other resolution.  The Forum Team might like to ponder this and persuade their colleagues who manage the help file system to get this made clear. God knows the Superusers have tried time and time again to persuade them to do this but they never do.  @Martin_N 

And as for dealing with a hacked e-mail address here is the proper procedure to adopt - straight from VM's own help files, which on this occasion are well written and comprehensive:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked

Not difficult to follow and would have avoided this sorry tale of not understanding what has happened and what to do.

-----------------------

Superuser 18/19.
Use Kudos to say thanks
Tick an answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos