cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cancellation

Alison8859
Joining in

I have been with Virgin for 5 days. The broadband has been virtually unusable - trying to WFH remoting in to a work computer and internet keeps dropping. I have now been on a whatsapp with an agent for about 4 hours trying to cancel. They want to charge me £35 for set-up plus 2 months rental when I am within the 14 day cooling off - can they do this? They also seem to have put a cancellation order on our landline number (keeping the number was one of the reasons we moved to Virgin as I hae elderly relatives who know and use the number and it would be difficult to switch to a new one) - which means another provider can't pick up the number. They haven't even transferred the number to our Virgin service yet! Any advice on how to get a resolution would be appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Alison8859, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you on board with us in the Community although we are sorry to hear that you're having issues meaning you are wanting to cancel. 

When you are within the first 14 days of your contract, you do have the right to leave penalty free however you will be billed any install or set up costs plus any time you've had the service plus any chargeable calls and/or pay per view services. The services would cancel right away as there is no notice time. 

When porting your number over, if this hasn't been ported to VM yet then you'll need to ensure it's still active with your previous company as the line has to be active in order for it to port. If it is already with Virgin Media, you'll need to request that the landline stay active until it's ported over to your new provider. 

Before leaving, can you expand on the issues you have been having? Can you give us a chance to resolve these?

Let us know. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

usual lies it would seem.

you're liable for the £35 installation/setup fee but no other charges, unless you've made chargeable calls on the landline.

someone here may help more efficiently than that of the call centres who it would seem are extorting you to stay! I'd make a complaint for that alone.

be warned though, a cancellation can go through instantly, ensure you have something in place if required (broadband, phone etc)

I wish you well, my last account (3/3) has now closed and I'm free of the clown show that is VM customer service

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Alison8859, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you on board with us in the Community although we are sorry to hear that you're having issues meaning you are wanting to cancel. 

When you are within the first 14 days of your contract, you do have the right to leave penalty free however you will be billed any install or set up costs plus any time you've had the service plus any chargeable calls and/or pay per view services. The services would cancel right away as there is no notice time. 

When porting your number over, if this hasn't been ported to VM yet then you'll need to ensure it's still active with your previous company as the line has to be active in order for it to port. If it is already with Virgin Media, you'll need to request that the landline stay active until it's ported over to your new provider. 

Before leaving, can you expand on the issues you have been having? Can you give us a chance to resolve these?

Let us know. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Hello Kath,

thanks for your reply. So it looks like I should just be paying for the installation + 5 days or so that I have had the service?

I would have liked to have tried to resolve the issues - an engineer was meant to have been booked for yesterday to come and look at it but they didn't turn up and when I tried to contact customer services they said they couldn't see that one had been booked - the booking came up on my screen when I re-checked the service after waiting for 24 hours from the previous check.

If it is still possible to try and resolve - without me having to sit for hours whatsapping customer service agents who don't seem to be able to help, and we can do it without me being tied into an extended contract if it can't be resolved then I would like to try. Can the no-notice cancellation period be extended to cover a period to try and resolve the service issues?

Hi Alison8859, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one. 

This is certainly something we can help with however we would need some more information from you in terms of the issues you are having. You've mentioned that the internet is intermittent but nothing more on how you are connecting or what's been tried so far etc. 

I've been unable to locate you on our systems using your forum credentials so I will need to confirm some information with you in order for me to proceed with checks and look at this further for you. 

I have sent you a private message regarding this and will investigate further once I receive your reply. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team