cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yet another returning customer unable to sign-in to account

fruitie86
Tuning in

I've spent the last 6 weeks unable to sign-in or sign up for my Virgin Account. Despite many phone calls to Virgin Media no-one appeared to be aware that this was a known issue, and I've only found out due to coming on this forum.

I'm still unable to sign-up for my account (Sorry you're leaving us) and if I try to register it tells me to use the email address I signed up with. I've also received the DEF01 error at various times. 

I've tried both of the links in the pinned post and neither work. I will not be setting up a new email account just for Virgin Media as frankly it's a ridiculous thing to ask! 

Any pointers for how I can resolve this? I'm on the verge of leaving as Virgin have not fulfilled the contract (and this will include asking for the box on my wall to be removed and the money required the 'make good' the damage!)

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Just an update - Adri seems to have got it fixed. They managed to get the IT department to remove my email address from the old account so it was 'available' again to use on the new one. Did require having to remember my old address and memorable word though!

Very simple fix that took a ridiculous amount of time and effort!

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @fruitie86,

Welcome to our community forum.
Sorry to hear you have been affected by the registering online issue and none of the fixes has worked for you.

From what you mentioned above, I can assume you must have had another (older) account where this email had been used to login online?
The fastest way to register for the new account would be to use another email address that hasn't been linked to any past accounts with us.

As I understand this might not be ideal for you though, I shall be able to help you fix this problem from here.

To enable me to do so, I will PM you.
Please check the top-right corner of our forum and you should see a purple envelope. Click this and you'll see my message.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Paul_LFC
On our wavelength

I can't guarantee this will work, but here's how I resolved this same issue as a returning customer. Does unfortunately require a second email address to begin with, but you won't actually need to use it for the account. Steps below:

- For quickness, use a different browser you haven't tried to register with VM on before. Alternatively, clear your browser cookies and cache.
- Go to the account registration page, and enter the second email address.
- You should see a screen that says something to the effect of "You can use this email address or a different one". Click the pencil icon and change the email address to your main one you actually want to use. It should let you proceed, and may ask you to click verification link in an email (this took over 10 minutes to arrive for me).
- Enter a password and the rest of your information and hopefully, you should now have a working account.

Thanks for the reply - I tried with my work email account (not suitable to use for the account as it's an NHS one) but I got the DEF01 error again. Worth a try!

Just an update - Adri seems to have got it fixed. They managed to get the IT department to remove my email address from the old account so it was 'available' again to use on the new one. Did require having to remember my old address and memorable word though!

Very simple fix that took a ridiculous amount of time and effort!

Hello. I’m also a returning customer with only 1 email address. How can I get this resolved with your virgin media IT? Is there a direct phone number?