cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why won't Virgin come to collect my equipment?

DE1987
Joining in

I recently terminated my service with Virgin and was asked to send back their equipment. No problem. Before I receive the packaging I'm sent an e-mail saying Virgin have "key workers" in the area and can collect my equipment. Great. I set the date for the 15th April, the day comes, and goes... nobody shows up. I made 3 calls throughout the evening asking when I should expect the equipment to be picked up and was told increasingly later times - up to 8PM! I live by myself so had stayed in the entire day waiting for a pickup that never happened. 

My pickup was rearranged for today, and guess what? Same thing. Once is bad enough, but twice? I spoke to a customer service rep just now who was sympathetic but seemed powerless to do anything to help and recommended that I just keep the equipment and wait for Virgin to contact me again. I'm a bit concerned that a charge will be put on my file for not returning equipment, though (although Virgin have now had two opportunities to pick said equipment up and not bothered turning up). At this point I'll probably just end up requesting packaging and returning it myself, but I would have done that in the first place had Virgin not told me they'd be coming to collect the equipment and basically restricted me to my house for two separate days. Both times I got an email the day before saying they would be coming to collect, and on the 15th I even got a text in the morning reminding me!

What exactly is going on here? This is absolutely appalling customer service and has pretty much put me off ever returning to Virgin in future. 

21 REPLIES 21

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What kit do you have? Are we talking TV boxes, broadband modems or both? Specifics would be helpful - if you're not sure, check here for modems and here for STBs.

You mention ordering returns packaging, has this arrived?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

It's a TV Box and a Router. I had the original TV Box packaging and was advised that would be fine to be collected in, whilst the Broadband Modem and related wires could go in the bag. I was in the process of moving out so recycled the other cardboard I didn't think I'd be needing. Will likely have to put in a request for another set of packaging.

Returning the items myself would have been much easier at my older place as I was pretty close to a drop off point, and had some time off work. Now not so much. If I'd known the collections were pot-luck events that contained zero communication throughout the day I would have just sent the stuff back myself when it was far more convenient for me to do so. I'm just incredibly disappointed and let down by the whole thing - I'm being pestered repeatedly via email to send the stuff back, despite having dates set up for collection, and then nobody turns up to collect on the agreed dates anyway. I'm not confused by what I need to do in terms of sending anything back, I'm just confused as to why I was twice offered a pick up service and twice left with nothing to show for it other than a partially wasted day.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@DE1987 wrote:
It's a TV Box and a Router.

Which ones? Can you be specific - check the links in my previous post if you're not sure.

The answer could impact on what needs returning and/or process.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Broadband Router Arris Super Hub
Set Top Box Arris TiVo box 1TB

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As per the links in post#2, TiVo boxes aren't usually being returned and are encouraged for recycling. If you've been advised differently, then I suggest following that advice.

You've not said which Superhub you have, so I can't help there.

I'll follow up with Virgin regarding the TiVo box - they sent it to me very recently so I can understand them potentially wanting it back. The router is a Superhub 3.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Returns advice is on https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-return-or-recycle-equipment and the SH3 is currently listed.

Best wait for the VM staff to pick this thread up regarding the TiVo and the missed collections. That may take a day or so - hope you get this sorted one way or another!

Hi there @DE1987 

I'm so sorry this has happened and thank you for posting to our forums. 

As this is a Tivo box and a Superhub you can recycle these instead of returning as we are not currently needing this equipment back. You can read up on how to recycle your kit here

Thank you.

Hi Ash,

Thanks, can you confirm my account will be marked as such so that I am not chased to send back or charged for not doing so? I can share account details over PM if needed.