Menu
NibseyUK
Joining in
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Why not move to Sky?

I have been screwed out of £240 by Virgin Media for moving to Sky.

Virgin won't accept that it's possible they my a mistake, so I now owe them £240.

Apparently Virgin only record some phone calls, so I guess it's my word against there's!

So, if you terminate your contract, ask for an email address to put your request in writing.

DON'T LET VIRGIN SCREW YOU TOO!

0 Kudos
NibseyUK
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Why are you screwing me for £240?

VIRGIN MEDIA £240 'SCREW YOU' CHARGE!!

I have been a customer with NTL and then Virgin Media for over 20 years. At the end of July 2018 I renewed my TV, broadband and Telephone package for 12 months. In September 2018 I recieved a letter from Virgin Media regarding an annual increase for 7.5% or £4.

I was unhappy with this, as I had only recently agreed to a fixed term increase for 12 months, so I called can spoke to their customer services.

We spoke about why I was unhappy and the adviser looked at what she could do about the price increase. Her offer was to reduce my package to lessen the impact of the increase. By the end of the conversation I explained i would be paying more for less and that I would consider the offer and call back.

I spoke to BT and Sky regarding their offerings for similar packages.

I called Virgin Media and spoke to the same adviser. I advised I would not be taking her offer, and as per the price increase letter I would terminate my contract with 30 days notice, which I was within my rights, and at no additional charge.

I called Sky back and signed up to their offer.

Today, 3rd November, I received an email from Virgin stating that I owed them a £240 termination fee!

As per my previous letter from Virgin I called to speak to a customer service adviser immediately.

I explained the situation, but was advised that my conversation previously was not recorded with any details of the increase in my bill, so i was therefore being charged £240.

The timing of their letter informing me of the increase in services and my phone calls to Virgin were not a coincedence, as any reasonable person would agree. Accept the line manger of the adviser I spoke to today.

I have requested a transcript of the conversation last month, but not all calls are recorded. This request can take 30 days.

In short, why would I cancel Virgin to save £5 per month with the knowledge I would be charged £240, which is equivalent to four months of service? I obviously terminated with the knowledge, as per the Virgin letter, that I was within my right to give 30 days notice without charge!

WHY ARE YOU SCREWING ME VIRGIN MEDIA????

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why not move to Sky?

if you were in contract you will be charged the early disconnection fee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jamesofmerton
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

'So, if you terminate your contract, ask for an email address to put your request in writing'

there is no email address.
0 Kudos
NibseyUK
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Actually, if they send you a letter advising of an increase in price, it also says you have 30 days in which you can terminate your contract without charge, as long as you give 30 days notice.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

did you tell them when cancelling that it was due to the price rise

0 Kudos
NibseyUK
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Sure did, but apparently this wasn't on the advisers notes... so it never happened!

I asked for a transcript of the recorded conversation, but they only record some, not all conversations. I will know more in a month.

They don't deny I got their letter around the time I called them, just I failed to mention it. 

Because of this I get a £240 cancellation charge... my word vs Virgin Media.

If I refuse to pay Virgin assign me to a debt collection agency.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

have you logged a complaint?

0 Kudos
NibseyUK
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have indeed.

@apcyberax wrote:
have you logged a complaint?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi there NibseyUK, 

Sorry to understand that there has been some confusion regarding your disconnection and the Early Disconnection Fees. 

Did the agent advise you of the fee's at the time of booking your disconnection? 

If you wish to request the transcript of the call, this can be done via a Data Subject Access Request (DSAR) This is totally free of charge and we have 30 days from when it was requested to action. As you have mentioned though, not all calls are recorded and they are only kept for 3 months so this may not be available to you. 

In regard to the complaint you have raised, what resolution have we offered? 

Thanks

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos