cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is it so hard to leave?

Veganfeet
On our wavelength

I've been with Virgin Media for five years and it's been okay until now; My contract is up so the price went through the roof. I chatted online to the retention team and they couldn't offer me a good reason to stay. I also spoke to the retention team and again I made it clear I didn't want to stay and why. I also chatted to the Whatsapp retention team twice and again they can't persuade me to stay. I just want to leave for another provider and have made arrangements with that other provider to do so.

So I want to cancel all my services with Virgin media and here is where the problems begin.

On each occasion of chatting, speaking and Whatsapping to retention I was 'transferred' to the 'Cancellation team' - and left hanging indefinitely. On the online chat I was transferred to Whatsapp - no choice. On whatsapp I waited a total of seven hours and was first connected with ANOTHER retention team, who then transferred me onto no one. Again today the same thing has happened. Call -Put on indefinite hold once it's clear I want to cancel. Online chat - transferred to whatsapp once it's clear I want to cancel. Whatsapp - transferred to no one once it's been established I want to cancel.

I filed a complaint about the process and despite requesting cancellation of all services as a satisfactory resolution have not had that addressed.

I have written to Virgin media at the address in Sunderland - but have my doubts that it will be actioned. It was hard enough to even find an address. Has anyone ever had any success with writing to VM?

So, I've made arrangements with another provider and have a date for their connection. I put this date in writing to VM as the date to end service - it's slightly more than 30 days from now to allow time for them to action it. I'm still trying to be connected with the 'cancellation team' but am starting to doubt they exist. The whole process has been so needlessly frustrating and tiresome - what has happened to VM? It used to be so easy to actually speak to a human being and their customer service in the past has been good. Is it just because I want to leave?

Has anybody on here had any success in arranging to leave VM? If so, what worked for you? Have I taken a wrong step somewhere in the process?

I hope someone on here who took the time to read this has had more success than me.

Why is it so hard to leave?...

48 REPLIES 48

Hi David_Bn,

Alex contacted me, checked my account and said that a disconnection of all services is scheduled for 27th March - that's tomorrow. Beyond her contact there's been no official confirmation that a disconnection is happening. I still got billed a few days ago for a full month of services at the newly inflated out-of-contract rate plus the price rise. Obviously I want the disconnection to go ahead - My new provider is connecting me on the 29th. Can you confirm it is definitely happening tomorrow?

Thanks

I can look into this for you, check out the purple envelope in the top right hand corner for a private message from me

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

This is a common theme with Virgin Media upon notifying them of your intention to leave.
I've been collecting their horrors stories for future reference - they are plentiful.
As well as the deliberate delays in communication they also pretend written letters are "ambiguous" and continue to charge long after you've stopped using their services and have gone with another ISP.
They expect YOU to pay for their long drawn out saga of feigned incompetence long after you've given 31 days notice.
In my case I cut the direct debit after paying for the period covered by my notification. 

If you're still being mucked about contact the Communication and Internet Adjudication Scheme (CISAS) who will be able to help. Call 020 7520 3827 or email cisas@cedr.com

I am in same position can not cancel 

1) I Upgraded package which they have completely messed up and only admiting too after 17 days of backwards and forwards -inc no activation of Netflix 

2)I ask to cancel , they try and upsell.Ask me if I am an o2 customer , well I am now since you sent a SIM ( more on this later ) 

3) Finally agree to cancel only to be told sorry issues with system it can't be done , linked to not being able to upgrade.Please be assured it will be done but if not contact us back in 72 hours and the next agent will do it ..So you can't do it but the next person can .FYI this took 3 hours to get to this stage !

4)o2 evidently the sim disconnection needs to go to o2 so now I'm supposed to contact them 

This is an utter shambles so can anyone here please just disconnect my services !! 

Hello Nabby81

It's really disappointing to hear of the disconnection issues experienced and the delays in arranging this. I can see you have spoken to the team and we aren't able to disconnect accounts via the forums.

If you can give the team a call on 150 from a Virgin Media landline or 0345 454 1111 option 1, option 4 then option 4 this will get you through to the contracts team who will be able to look into this further for you.

We also have these contact methods available https://virg.in/contactvm or you can send your query to 07533016422 and we’ll text you back. We’re here 8am-11pm Monday to Friday, 8am-8pm on Saturday and Sunday. Please keep us up to date with this.

Rob

On to them again, first question .When did I upgrade please explain how Virgin can 1) send a new sim 2) send a new hub but then can't tell me the date the upgrade took place .This is beyond pathetic 

So no cancelation was requested as per instructions and once again they try the we will resolve it ...good thing about using whatsapp is I can screen shot all the lies ...this is by far and away the worse customer service I have ever encountered 

Edit 2 Now cut off as don't want to action the request - again 

Virginlies.JPG

Nabby81_0-1663157072303.png

Hi Nabby81, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this. I'm sorry to see you've had issues with cancelling your services. 

We don't disconnect services via the Community however as you've had issues, I'm happy to take a further look at this on this occasion. I will need to confirm some information with you. 

I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Nabby81, 

Thanks for taking the time to come back to me via private message. 

I'm glad we've been able to get things resolved and sorted for you. 

If there is any further issues or you need anything else, pop back and let us know. 

Many thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I have finally left VM after experiencing a mix of the usual delaying tactics, deliberate 'misunderstandings', undated letters, anonymous staff (all geared towards making it as difficult to maintain dialogue, it appears).
Notification of ongoing inverstigations into my case that simply didn't happen. The usual we've come to expect.
My final bill was bumped up over a package change I didn't ask for (and didn't exist within their portfolio).
I refused to pay until my complaint was investigated. They sent a form letter saying that it was being looked into. A few days later I received a letter from a debt collection agency - whilst my complaint was still being looked into!
I explained the situation to their appointed agent and he had no problem halting proceedings for a month whilst the matter was sorted out. I got the impression that this was something they were quite used to hearing about VM.

Just to be clear, I was fine with paying up the money I owed but not the extra they had tacked on for the 'package change' that never happened (I'd already informed them I was leaving) which bumped up the bill.
I never did hear anything further from Virgin regarding my complaint. I paid the unjustified extra as it was merely a tenner. Yup, VM will ensure you'll never go back to them over a dispute over a lousy £10.
I eventually paid it under sufferance.
Someone well versed in this sort of thing pointed out to me that this was actually a good thing. It means that in the event of a class action against VM some years hence, I'll be entitled to sign up.
Large companies are frequently being brought to task years after the event. The latest you've probably heard of being that against car manufacturers that fudged / falsified their emmision levels.
My advice to people that have been mucked about over their contracts whilst trying to leave is hang on to all your paperwork and emails and tuck them away in a folder. Think of it as a prospective investment..