cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Broadband only more expensive than BB+Landline?

WoahWoahUser
Up to speed

I'm looking to remove my tv service soon as the price is increasing to over £100 next month and there is an ongoing FTTP build in our area, which has much cheaper prices. However they plan to build to our area next year so we would like to reduce our price to something similar to the competing price - e.g. ~£30 for 200Mbps -. 

Most of these competitors charge more for landline service, but VM seems to do the opposite making a connection with landline cheaper, why is this?

7 REPLIES 7

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I’m not sure why it’s important to you.

You’re looking for a broadband price which suits your requirements and surely getting a landline as well is a bonus?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

The landline has become a bit of a nuisance in the past couple years, the only calls we get are from sales people, just wondered why they penalise people who don't want it 🤔. Guess you could just leave it unplugged.

I would assume that the logic is that a phone subscriber 'might' run up extra charges for calls outside of their allowance and hence make extra money for VM. I suspect that someone has run some mathematical simulations and concluded that offering the phone provision at a discount, overall makes more money on the grounds that enough users will be temped to use it and the extra revenue outweighs the loss in headline subscription cost.

Of course the best thing here is to take them up on the offer and just never plug a phone into the socket! VM will (or should) be aware that some customers will do just that, but overall the benefits outweigh the costs.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Just plug it in when you need to dial 150 to contact VM.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @WoahWoahUser,

Welcome back, thanks for posting.

I am sorry you're considering removing the TV, is this due to a particular reason?

Relating the landline, you do not have to keep it as we do a variety of broadband only deals, however, depending on the deals available, it maybe cheaper to keep it as a bundle, rather than opting in for a single service.

Give us a call on 150 / 0345 454 1111 or text the team on 07533051809 and we can assist further. Text replies are not instant and are automated at the start to get you through to the right team.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

sorry to add another question to the pile - can I downgrade my package via live chat? I’d like to have proof in words of the contract I was provided just in case something goes wrong on Virgin’s end. Sorry again to add another question - don’t know if it’s against forum rules or not. 

EDIT: just to add id rather not use whatsapp/text as it isn’t instant and I didn’t know if Virgin allow package changes via live chat even though over companies do. 

Hello WoahWoahUser.

Thanks for replying.

You can indeed downgrade your package via our Live Chat Facility

However it is a very popular method of contact ands may be unavailable at certain times of the day.

I know you have mentioned the other messaging options are not to your liking, But they are always an option.

Regards

Gareth_L