cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will new users be able to register?

Busta999
On our wavelength

I have been trying to register with Virgin Media for the last 90 minutes.

I get to Choose a password and every time it fails with error message:

'You can't use that password. Please choose another'

I am using 1Password to create the password form 16- 64 characters that it reports 

'All requirements met'

TALL Passwords are rejectedALL Passwords are rejectedScreenshot 2022-05-17 at 18.41.02.pngScreenshot 2022-05-17 at 18.36.44.pnghen when both passwords are complete and press confirm I get the error message above.

ALL PASSWORDS are rejected AND VALID

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgin Media's account password policy is:

• alphanumeric characters only
  • with length of between 8 to 10 characters
  • and first character must be an alphabetical character

If you limit your password to that criteria does the issue still occur?

NB: yes, it is an antiquated password policy that Virgin Media have shown no appetite to tackle and feel there “other security measures” adequately address concerns ― ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Busta999,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm very sorry to hear you've been having some trouble setting up a My Virgin Media online account. Have you tried clearing your cache and cookies to see if that helps at all?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Busta999
On our wavelength

Good idea

no I have not, but I have tried multiple browsers on multiple devices, iPhone, iPad, 2 different computers on Safari and Chrome.

I could be a cookie issue but unlikely especially as this is my first encounter with Virgin Media.

I tried again for a couple of hours this morning getting same errors.

all attempts to contact support required you to complete registration.

I did eventually find an 0800 number and called them.

According to VM CS my account does not have an email address in it. 

which is odd, because I have received emails from VM with the link to register my account AND when Go through registration it prefills my email address so if feels like the left hand of VM is not talking to the left hand of VM!!

Anyway they have re-entered my email address again I should try registering in 24 hrs.

The broadband box arrives soon so as long as I don’t have to register my VM account, I should get broadband working.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgin Media's account password policy is:

• alphanumeric characters only
  • with length of between 8 to 10 characters
  • and first character must be an alphabetical character

If you limit your password to that criteria does the issue still occur?

NB: yes, it is an antiquated password policy that Virgin Media have shown no appetite to tackle and feel there “other security measures” adequately address concerns ― ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Aha 

The password was being reported by VM as 

FE4CF497-B23A-43B6-B35C-099860937002.png

 so that was not the issue.

after a few hours back and forth to VM ‘ You can’t use that passwords ‘ actually means “you cannot register with VM until your account is live” 

So apparently the password issue will resolve itself on Friday when the account goes live.

Earlier today VM said the reason the password did not work was because there was no email address on the account.

But VM were emailing with account information and asking me to go to my account and register so I could track the delivery etc.

Every time I call they come back with another lame excuse.

So will hold off until Friday, if it still won’t let me register I’ll cancel and find a broadband provider who can, well provide.

Makes me extremely nervous entering an 18 month contract with these comedians.

Ha you were right

VM demands a strong password 8-64 characters long and validates a strong password 

BUT 

rejects ALL strong passwords and ONLY accepts weak passwords !

Amazing they demand strong passwords but only accepts weak ones….

BIZARRE 

I am now stuck in the forever email validation loop.

they send an email - take 10 minutes to send it and when you click on the link it reports the link has timed out.

The validation expired BEFORE they sent it!!

wow these guys are bad, really bad, is it they just don’t care?

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Sorry about this Busta999 - have you been able to complete this since? 

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

Busta999
On our wavelength

Well sort of....

Thanks for your help.

On the Apple App I can login but the not the website - before I even get to a login I either get 'Oops, looks like something's gone wrong on our side. Please try again'

Or sometimes I get ' we are fixing things'

Are these outages normal/common?

I must admit my first impression of Virgin Media is really really bad and feels like the keystone cops are running the show.

Busta999
On our wavelength
It appears that the Virginmedia site does not like Safari - it keeps reporting 'Oops, looks like something's gone wrong on our side. Please try again'
But when I tried Chrome I got "my.virginmedia.com says Script error."
Then it required me to enter my favorite food, I don't know what a favorite is.
Could they mean favourite? and when they introduced script errors the including spelling mistakes too?
Would explain the script errors

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Busta999,

Thanks for your responses regarding this, our website was facing a few issues today, just to touch on the prior question were you able to register?

Cheers,

Kain