cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to terminate the contract

SP60
On our wavelength

My VM Broadband contract expires on 31 October 2022, can I apply for cancellation now or do I have to give a month's notice after 31 October 2022?

I think VM bill you in advance, so waiting for the final bill should not be an issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

From previous posts here, VM's systems can accept cancellation notice up to 60 days before the end date, but make sure that if phoning to cancel then (a) you're clear on the date service is to finish, and (b) if open to a new contract offer by the retentions staff, make sure you've got the competitor offers open in front of you when you phone, and (c) be aware that VM's handing of phone cancellations is very poor, so don't be surprised by unhelpful staff, long waits and disconnections.

Cancelling by donkey post, using recorded delivery is often a lot less traumatic than phoning. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

SP60
On our wavelength

My VM Broadband contract expires on 31 October 2022, can I apply for cancellation now or do I have to give a month's notice after 31 October 2022?

I think VM bill you in advance, so waiting for the final bill should not be an issue.

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

From previous posts here, VM's systems can accept cancellation notice up to 60 days before the end date, but make sure that if phoning to cancel then (a) you're clear on the date service is to finish, and (b) if open to a new contract offer by the retentions staff, make sure you've got the competitor offers open in front of you when you phone, and (c) be aware that VM's handing of phone cancellations is very poor, so don't be surprised by unhelpful staff, long waits and disconnections.

Cancelling by donkey post, using recorded delivery is often a lot less traumatic than phoning. 

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @SP60

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post your question on the forums.

You can give a maximum of 60 days notice to cancel your contract, you can give this before your contract end date, it doesn't have to be after the end date of your contract that you call us to start the cancellation process.

Regards,

Steven_L

SP60
On our wavelength

I asked this question here on termination days as I rang VM today and I was told that the notice period is a maximum of 30 days or I will incur penalties!

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

That's simply untrue.  In legal terms, you can serve notice in advance at any time - in business it's common to sign a 3 year service contract with a rollover element, and then to serve notice a day or two after the contract starts.  That's to avoid the contract rolling over.  

With VM, the 60 day limit has no basis in law, but seems to be some hard coded aspect of the decrepit systems VM use.  As I said, if you send a cancellation by post that save a lot of hassle of dealing with imbeciles over the phone.  You're still then reliant on VM to properly process the cancellation in accordance with contract terms, UK law, and Ofcom regulations.  Usually they manage that.  If they did mess it up, then a formal complaint and subsequent escalation to CISAS will sort matters out.

SP60
On our wavelength
I am in contract with VM until end of Dec 22. Happy to see it to the end of this date but intend to move to a FTTP fibre provider by middle of December 2022. From above, I will give VM a 60 day notice by end of October 2022.

The VM person I spoke to was not keen to retain me by at least trying to offer a good deal. Atitude was if you want to go then it is 30 days notice!

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

They never make good offers when a customer is still in contract.  Once the 30 day notice has started they might do better if you phone them then, but the best of all offers are made by the outbound retentions team (ie they phone you).  Unfortunately, whilst outbound retention calls during the notice period are common practice, there's no guarantee they will try, or that you'll be around to take the call.   There's also the peculiarity of how retention agents generally get incentivised - a near minimum wage salary, with big bonus potential for hitting customer retention targets (eg see here), then for a set time period they'll get a fixed amount of discount to give away, and that set amount can itself vary, but how the agent uses it is up to them.  That means different offers on different days, and on the same day from different agents in response to a similar customer situation.   If you're forearmed with the best competitor deals, and tell the agent early on that you're not paying VM more than you would a competitor, they'll know you're not interested in small talk about what a fab offer VM is, and you'll quickly find out if they're going to price match or not.  What you have no knowledge of is how much of the agent's retention budget is left and for what period.  If they've had to dole out generously already, then they're less likely to cut you a good deal, but that's the way of things.  And don't forget if you are negotiating, then no matter what the agent tells you, any deal offered is take it or leave it at that moment - ring off to think about it, and that offer disappears and you'd start again from scratch. 

Personally, if I had an Openreach FTTP option I'd dump VM regardless of what offers they had, because Openreach FTTP is modern technology, unlike the ageing and fault prone DOCSIS tech that VM use: But your needs and preferences may differ from mine. 

SP60
On our wavelength

Thanks for a great response! Last time, I started a process to move to BT and as soon as BT contacted them to move the phone part, their outbound retention guy was on the phone straight away! Offered me less than BT deal, so I stayed. I have decided to move over to FTTP fibre which I now can get. Old habits die hard - I will miss the landline (although, to be frank, not used that much!

VM, I think, are in a tight corner with great completion now with Openreach and other independent isps offering great deals.

Hey @SP60, thanks for reaching out to us.

I'm sorry to hear that you're leaving 😞
Please be aware that once your contract ends, you will receive what is known as the 'Final Bill' which will have on there any credits / adjustments on there.
We hope to see you again one day 🙂

Kind regards.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs