cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to notify Virgin about leaving?

andybananas
On our wavelength

My contract is due to expire on 25 July 22.  In fact on my bill it says:

Welcome Offer - 18 Month Saving Ends on 25-JUL-22.

Im leaving VM as they are hopeless, I can never get through on the phone and had a nightmare setup problem.

I cant leave before the end of the contract as I will incur a penalty.  It also says I have to give them 30 days notice before going elsewhere.  I also dont want to pay more when I come off the 'Welcome Offer' which is in 31 days time.

Just wondered when I should tell VM when I want to switch?  I plan to use another provider and get them to do the switch for me - when should I instruct them to avoid stopping the contract early but also avoid paying the extra whaen I come off the Welcome Offer?

Many thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VM have committed to the regulator that leaving will be as easy as joining.  See commitment 5 in the Ofcom Fairness Commitments.  I will leave you to judge why VM do not bother to offer a simple online cancellation process, why there's regular reports of long delays, calls being transferred between staff who won't help, routinely poor communication, and botched disconnections.

A couple of things I'd correct:

You can complain to VM even as a former customer - just do it by post to the address on the complaints page.  Bear in mind that complaints handling is done to the customary Virgin Media standards of excellence, and you should expect a fob-off letter by way of response.  If you aren't happy with that, then you escalate the matter to CISAS, the industry complaints adjudicator, noting that you have to either allow VM eight weeks from your complaint to the company, or before that date you have to reject the "resolution" and demand a deadlock letter.

You can also cancel by post without the misery of calling VM.  That is a specific and legally enforceable requirement from Ofcom, and involves writing to the same address as before (see VM's cancellation page).  Unfortunately as you've found VM handle cancellations outstandingly badly and with a poor grace, meaning that you're more than likely to end up with a formal complaint and a trip to CISAS.

Ultimately, I blame both VM's management and the regulator Ofcom.  VM management run their business on a 1990's business model of cheap offshore and outsourced call centres - that's all they understand, they think that's entirely adequate, and they treat Ofcom's regulations like the Pirate's Code*.  Meanwhile Ofcom make little or no effort to check that their many rules are being adhered to, and they do next to nothing to enforce them, despite having ample powers to do so.  

* "And thirdly, the code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules.  Welcome aboard the Black Pearl, Miss Turner".  I must say there's a certain resonance between Virgin Media and the Black Pearl, that being a chaotic ghost ship crewed by drooling, mumbling zombies, inflicting harm on all who unwittingly come into contact with them. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

20 REPLIES 20

Nathan_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @andybananas, welcome back to our forum and thanks for your post.

I'm sorry to see that you wish to leave us due to the past issues you have had, if you did wish for your contract to end from 25/07/22 then you can give notice 30 days before this date for it to cancel on that date. On any contract we do require 30 days notice to be given which means the earliest time you can give this would be from today.

If you also have had issues getting through to the team over the phone we do have alternative contact methods which can be found here.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

ThomasP2
On our wavelength

This was a great question from the OP and something that i wanted to ask myself. Thanks Nathan for that answer. I find myself in the same kind of circumstances,but i wanted to ask a question in line with the original post. I have the ultimate Oomph package, and wanted to ask, when you give 30 days notice, and want to transfer your mobile number to another provider, can you do this after giving thirty days notice. Like the original poster, i want my contract to end on the day that my bundle offer ends without occuring the new inflated price the following month.

Thanks

Tom

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@andybananas wrote:

Just wondered when I should tell VM when I want to switch?  I plan to use another provider and get them to do the switch for me - when should I instruct them to avoid stopping the contract early but also avoid paying the extra whaen I come off the Welcome Offer?

Many thanks!

Hi @andybananas 

Are you porting your landline telephone number to another provider? If so the VM account needs to be active for this process to complete with your new provider performing the landline switch, it wouldn't cancel any other services you have with VM.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks for the info.  Just to be clear, if I dont give you 30 days notice today, come 26 July, will I have to pay for another full month on the higher rate?

Also, I havent got another provided lined up yet, how do I get the next one to coordinate  with VM to make sure I dont pay for another month at VM?

Interesting that you stated that there other options to contacts VM.  They all eventually end up at the phone number of you get lost in the countless pages of help information.  IS there a chat?

Just one more to add.  If the deal runs out on 25 July, do I ask for it to be terminated on 25 July or 26 July?

I dont want to be charged for terminating early and dont want to be charged for an extra month so this is really important

Leaving Vermin Media is just as painful as joint them, but both are less painful than staying with them.

You must give 30 days notice on all the products you wish to cancel.

However, if you have a landline number, it needs to be live to be ported to your new, and infinitely better service provider. This means you need to order the phone bit first, then the other services cancel afterwards. Otherwise you will incur an additional £19 theft from your bank account from this **bleep**less cable company.

As you can probably guess, we’ve just left Vermin Media. Sick and tired of ZERO customer service. Sick and tired of Constant price hikes. Sick and tired of inaccurate billing. Sick and tired of this criminal company ignoring customer complaints.

BT are lovely.

BT are half the price for same services and better.

BT actually treat customers with respect.

BT can count and produce correct bills.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@andybananas wrote:

I dont want to be charged for terminating early and dont want to be charged for an extra month so this is really important

There's been some varying answers on how "more than 30days notice works" on here recently, but on a basic level you pay for 30days service after your notice being given.

You'll only be charged for an extra month, if you give notice an extra month later. For every later day that you give notice, you add the same day to when your disconnection is.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hey @andybananas, thanks for the post and welcome to the Virgin Media forums.

To make sure you don't get charged when your contract ends, what you need to do is place your notice period 30 days before.
If you wish to take this further, please let us know, we can get this sorted out for you.

Kind regards 🙂

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi there

That would be really useful as I struggle to find the time to wait on the phone.  If you can help with the cancellation it would be much appreciated