Menu
ramirez
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

What are my rights for aggressive selling tactics, lies, and breach of agreement by VM?

I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience.  I'm not sure what my rights are, would be useful to understand.

Virgin have lied to me and used aggressive selling tactics to force me to change from Sky.  They promised me several "freebies" subject to me purchasing their most expensive "VIP" contract, then refused to honour the agreement after I had entered into contract.  One of the items I was promised was a set of wifi boosters so that all areas of my house was covered.

After I joined Virgin, they refused to give me the boosters.  I rang customer services as soon as I entered the contract, but they refused to honour the agreement.

I have now waited over 9 months, and Virgin have not made any attempt to honour their part of the agreement (i.e. the boosters).

When I recently complained (on 9 June 2019), they tried to bribe me by offering the boosters (over 9 months late) in return for not complaining.  They refused to allow me to complain if I accepted the boosters.  Surely, if they are so prompt in offering the boosters now, they could have sent these to me without waiting for me to complain again?  This also shows that they have done this to other customers!

I have been unable to use the broadband throughout my house, as promised by Virgin when they utilised strong arm tactics to force me to switch from Sky.

I have also been forced into an expensive 12 month "VIP" contract, and Virgin have completely ignored their part of the agreement.

What I would like to understand is, what are my rights?  Am I entitled to a refund, as I've clearly not received the service which was promised to me?

0 Kudos
wez
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: What are my rights for aggressive selling tactics, lies, and breach of agreement by VM?

No-one forced you to do anything, they may have convinced you to join - but unless you are very weak willed you were not forced into anything.

You mention several freebees? But then only mention the booster - was there anymore.

You've made a complaint, they offered you a resolution - if you don't accept it to close the complaint they wouldn't give you what they've offered - you can then go to arbitration.

0 Kudos
ramirez
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: What are my rights for aggressive selling tactics, lies, and breach of agreement by VM?

Hiya, thanks for your response. They also offered me discounted rates, which haven't been applied - I've still got email and SMS records.

Just to clarify, the first time I complained (as soon as I entered contract), they just plain refused to give the boosters. Second time I complained, they offered the resolution.

My question is - what are my rights? Is it even worth going to arbitration, or just not bother? Will the arbitrators see it as Virgin have offered resolution (albeit 9 months late), so case closed?
0 Kudos
wez
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

How have you complained so far? Did you send the sms and emails in?

What were the discounted rates?

If you have that information and a record of bringing up the complaint early on I don't see how they can deny your case. If they don't then I'd definitely go down the arbitration route.

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@ramirez wrote:

My question is - what are my rights? Is it even worth going to arbitration, or just not bother? Will the arbitrators see it as Virgin have offered resolution (albeit 9 months late), so case closed?

Consider discussing the matter further with Citizens Advice to better understand the rights you have.

The independent adjudicator will likely see the resolution offer made by Virgin Media but it will not result in a premature decision; see Making a complaint and read the Complaints Code of Practice.