cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What am I actually paying for my broadband?

Bewlaybro
On our wavelength

Okay I know how much I’m paying for my “package” but how do I find out what I’m paying for my broadband alone ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

If you look only at VM's broadband prices they are quite high and, frankly, not good value if all you want is broadband. However, as a Pay TV provider VM wants to hook you into TV (and landline) as well, so the price of the broadband in the bundle will fall. You can think of it as similar to a tour operator's holiday package where the price of the accommodation is a lot less than if purchased on its own. The price of the components of the bundle or package is never disclosed for reasons of commercial confidentiality.

In the end what matters is how much you are paying for everything (broadband, TV, landline and mobile) rather than a single component such as broadband.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

The most you'll get as a breakdown is what's visible under Contract in My Virgin Media.  If you've got a bundle, then there may be no breakdown that exists publicly. 

Obviously there's some back office calculations on what the underlying cost is that will never be public, and there's not-very-prominent public pricing for undiscounted elements where they're sold separately (eg M250 broadband is £53.80, or call add ons), but beyond that you'll struggle.

Think of it from VM's perspective - they put together a bundle that includes things with an aggregate cost to them of say £70, the bundle includes some element eg a channel selection that they don't sell separately, there's some incentives offered eg Volt speed bumps, and then for commercial reasons they offer a 40% discount that won't last outside the 18 month new customer contract - how can you break out the cost of broadband?

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Add to that an Advertising Standards ruling that now prevents providers from quoting Phone Line Rental charges as a seperate item, as they considered it too confusing to customers.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

If you look only at VM's broadband prices they are quite high and, frankly, not good value if all you want is broadband. However, as a Pay TV provider VM wants to hook you into TV (and landline) as well, so the price of the broadband in the bundle will fall. You can think of it as similar to a tour operator's holiday package where the price of the accommodation is a lot less than if purchased on its own. The price of the components of the bundle or package is never disclosed for reasons of commercial confidentiality.

In the end what matters is how much you are paying for everything (broadband, TV, landline and mobile) rather than a single component such as broadband.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

So comparing what you're paying for broadband compared to other providers is not possible then ... crazy

@Bewlaybro wrote:

So comparing what you're paying for broadband compared to other providers is not possible then ... crazy

Correct, except you need to think of it as you are getting a certain overall service 'package', for which you pay £x, it can't be meaningfully split up into individual 'parts'. All you can do is to compare it with a broadly similar overall package from another provider.