cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volt/ O2 package - O2 data speeds unacceptable

wjk45
On our wavelength

I changed from the ultimate Oomph bundle to the Volt package last week and the VM part is working fine but the O2 SIM is little more than useless. Almost every location from where I have tried to access data this week, speeds have been so slow that I have  been unable to access most web sites. I had no trouble with my  previous VM SIM. Even when my signal shows 4 bars and 4G web pages just do not load, what's the point of having unlimited data if you can't access it?

I am within my 14 day cooling off period but I guess the O2 SIM is linked with my VM contract in some way so what happens to that if I cancel my O2 SIM?

Whatever happens I cannot continue with such poor data speeds on O2 and I need to do something in the next few days. 

All input welcome. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

wjk45
On our wavelength
15 REPLIES 15

Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Wjk45, 

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue with your O2 mobile service looked into, I am sorry if this has been causing some frustration. I would be more than happy to explain things for you.

As the SIM is part of the Volt bundle it may affect some of your Volt benefits on your Media side if you were to cancel the SIM. 

If you're still thinking about cancelling it I would give the retentions team a call on 0345 454 1111 option 1, 4 then 4 just to ask them what might change on your Media package if you cancel the SIM aspect. 

Have you spoken to O2 about the issues with coverage? I have O2's Coverage Checker if you want to take a look at that?

Thanks,

Megan_L

wjk45
On our wavelength

Hi Megan

Thanks for taking the time to respond. The issue is not with O2 at home so the postcode checker is not relevant, it's the data performance when out and about which is extremely poor when compared to both EE and Vodafone of which I have experience. 

I will speak to the retentions team to discuss. 

I have had the exact same problem since switching to O2 a couple of months ago as part of Volt. My phone becomes a brick anywhere in my town as soon as I leave the house as the 4G flat out doesn’t work.

I raised a formal complaint with O2 and they told me their network gets busy and to try using wifi hotspots instead. Their coverage checker reports very good 4G coverage indoors and out, and apparently they are allowed to sell their services by telling this lie because of a line in their T&Cs. Jokers.

In response to my complaint they’ve offered me a paltry 1-month discount, or offered to cancel the contract penalty free. I have no idea how this will affect my Virgin contract, and no faith that it wouldn’t cause issues even if they tell me it won’t. I’m also worried I’ll lose my number.

Anyway just a warning to anyone thinking of switching their main mobile to the Volt sim - check O2’s data coverage with a phone, not their website. Complete joke that this is the service they offer in a large county town in 2022 where every other provider’s service is flawless (and 5G!!).

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi wjk45, thanks for this reply and for the information shared.

Sorry to hear of the poor coverage on the O2 network, our retentions will help out as Megan_L advised above.
Please, keep us here posted once you have an update from the team so we know it's being looked into.
Cheers,

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

wjk45
On our wavelength

I will not be able to speak to retentions until Monday due to other commitments. It is getting close to my 14 day cooling off period so I have instigated a chat with O2 to inform them I wish to exit my contract due to poor service, I am awaiting a reply. 

However it may affect my VM contract I cannot continue with a very poor mobile service so it has to go in any case. 

I just hope that I do not get penalised by VM by rejecting a sub-standard product, it would be a shame if this merger with O2 ends up with me being terminated by VM after a fairly successfully 20 year plus relationship. 

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the reply, wjk45.

We're sorry to hear you did not have time to discuss this further with our retentions team, since you contacted O2 to cancel with them our systems will update too soon with this change and any discounts applied as per the Volt bundle will be removed.
Please, let us know if you can get in touch with our retentions team to discuss further options as this change will have an impact to your bundle and price therefore we will need to go over this and make sure you have an agreement you're happy with at all times.
We would not terminate your VM services due to this issue though, just to assure you of this not being the case.

Please, keep us here posted and let us know of any updates in regard to this process.
Glad to best advise or assist where needed.

Adri
Forum Team

wjk45
On our wavelength

Hi Adri

Many thanks for your reply, I felt I needed to contact O2 Immediately so as not to exceed the cooling off period. 

I will of course speak to retentions as soon as I  have time to devote to the phonecall. I hope I can reach an agreement that suits me and VM as I have been a happy customer for over 20 years and would hate the poor O2 service to ruin that. 

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for getting back to us about this, wjk45.

Glad to hear you will take some time to go over your package with VM soon as this may need to be revised now, of course we'd hate to see you go due to this problem with the O2 signal.

Please keep us posted and pop us a message in case you face any issues with your services. happy to help.

Adri
Forum Team

wjk45
On our wavelength

Spoke to VM this morning and informed them I was cancelling my O2 SIM as the service was not fit for purpose, I was informed that when the cancellation was invoked my £25 O2 discount would be removed and the £25 added to my VM bill but my VM services would remain in situ, I did expect this to happen and came as no surprise. They said I would receive an email to confirm this.

I have the PAC code from O2 and have passed it onto a new mobile provider, which should activate on Tuesday and automatically close my account inside the 14 day cooling off period. I rang O2 to confirm this and they did. 

Very disappointing that the O2 service is so poor when my original VM SIM was excellent.