cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin tried scamming me, now seem to be refusing to let me cancel

Surreal
Tuning in

My contract ended and the price doubled. Horrible predetory behaviour but unfortunately the standard across the board, so naturally I found some great deals elsewhere. Got hold of an advisor fairly easily on Friday and after a few messages back and forth, he suprised me with an offer: My current package (M250) for less than what my introductory offer was! Wow. I of course accepted and ended the chat. I was obviously a little surpised when an email arrived on Saturday saying that my brand new M125 package had been set up. Yes, Virgin had signed me up to a package without my consent - (Screenshot of conversation https://ibb.co/kDXycqW)

I spoke to an advisor today who said this wasn't a mistake, the previous advisor had no ability to offer me such a deal so it looks like they intentionally tried to scam me and hope I wouldn't notice! Wonderful. I lodged a complaint and requested to cancel so they transferred me to the retention department and I've now been on hold to them on WhatsApp, Live Chat and the Phone all day (literally from 10am this morning to now - 6:45pm) and I cannot get through at all. Everything is being ignored.

So what on earth do I do now? How do I cancel if no one will talk to me? Is this how Virgin treats their customers? Intentionally scam them and then ignore all communication hoping they will give up and pay for a service they specifically declined and do not want?

Screenshot_20230217-165220.png

8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 s 50 applies here regardless of the excuses from VM.

Raise a formal complaint with a view to escalating to Ombudsman Services. 

Thanks, but the issue is that https://www.ombudsman-services.org/ seem to require you to have waited at least 8 weeks without a satisfactory resolution before raising an issue with them and the Virgin contract cooling off period is 14 days. This just seems like it's going to get really messy unless it's sorted soon.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Or the VM forum team might see the inevitability of the situation and sort it out in a couple of days. 

That's what I'm hoping!

The screenshot clearly shows an offer being made from a VM representative, now what is vitally important here is did you accept that offer at the time? If you were to scroll the message list down, would we see an unequivocal acceptance of the offer on those terms?

Hi @Surreal 

Thanks for posting on our community forum and sorry to hear about the issue with your package

I am going to drop you a private message now to confirm some more details and investigate further, please keep an eye on your inbox

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

@Jem101

Yes, apologies, I should have included that. See below.

Screenshot_20230217-165530~2.png

Hi @Surreal 

Thanks for your response

If you can reply to the private message I have now sent you, I will look at getting the package sorted for you.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs