Menu
Lleebb76
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Virgin struggling to connect to my new house, what can I do?

I am moving house and my new house doesn't have a Virgin connection. Initially they booked a day in to come and install a cable but today they called to say that they would have to dig up the road to get a connection to the box and until they have done this they cannot provide us with internet or phone. They didn't say how long this would take as they need to speak to the council. My experience of Streetworks licenses means that this will take at least a couple of months.

They said we won't have to pay until we get connected and in the meantime we should get a dongle to use. We pay Virgin £36 a month for unlimited internet and international calls. Having checked with Virgin we use 80gb data a month. No dongle I can find offers that much data on anything less than a 12 month contract so we can't use that. 

Is there any alternative? We use the internet for watching TV, streaming music and normal browsing. We can't leave Virgin as we are still in contract for 5 months.  But also, they aren't able to provide us with internet. Are we really forced to stay if there is no alternative?

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin struggling to connect to my new house, what can I do?

you're only forced to honour your contract, nothing more, nothing less.
as far as your current contract is concerned it would be you that would be breaking it should you terminate it, therefore you would be liable to early termination fees should you go down that route.

you could probably get a contract mobile internet dongle that could give you similar data allowances, but you'll be paying a bit for that.

your alternative would be to drop your internet usage for the period where you are relying on a temporary connection.
0 Kudos
Lleebb76
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I would consider that leaving us without internet for two months would mean Virgin are not honouring the contract either, if we can't find an alternative that doesn't cost more than we pay now. We are already losing the ability for my wife to call her parents in the USA by not having a phone line.

My wife occasionally works from home and we don't have live telly and, well, it's 2019 so we use the internet a lot. Going without isn't an option either.  

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

well no, because it was you moving that triggered your loss in service.

i didn't suggest going without, simply suggested modifying your useage to allow you to use such dongles until you can get service at your new location.
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Just to expand on chenks answer (which is entirely right in so far as it goes)

Moving house generates a new contract at the new address. As thats technically a continuation (as per VM's TOS) it is LIKELY to be exempt from the 14 day distance selling rules.

HOWEVER

As they are unable to provide the services at the new address without undue delay, IMHO there is no issue with cancelling the NEW contract without any penalty. IF you were still in a minimum term on the old contract at the old address, EDF's may apply.

Thats the upside. On the downside you have no recourse if the contract is void, so its over to you if you want to pay for mobile data, or make alternative arrangements, with a different supplier.

If its any help, I reckon a couple of months to resolve is a gross underestimate.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Lleebb76
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Kippies. It looks like we're a little stuck then - to change provider would cost a lot of money if we have to pay Virgin's early cancellation fees in addition to new line installment costs from somewhere else. 

Have you had experience of this sort of thing before about tinescales for this? If it makes a difference, we are in the middle of Edinburgh (where almost every house apart from our new one seems to have a Virgin or Telewest connection!) rather than in the countryside. The box is only a few yards away. But I can imagine two or three months to get the license to dig up the road, then a month or two to organise it. If it's more than 6 months we may be better off getting another proper broadband and phone provider rather than fudging it with a 4g connection. 

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

does the house have a BT line/socket at the moment?
a possible temp solution would be to use an ISP that offer 30 day rolling contracts - there are a few.
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Lleebb76 wrote:

Thanks Kippies. It looks like we're a little stuck then - to change provider would cost a lot of money if we have to pay Virgin's early cancellation fees in addition to new line installment costs from somewhere else. 

Have you had experience of this sort of thing before about tinescales for this? If it makes a difference, we are in the middle of Edinburgh (where almost every house apart from our new one seems to have a Virgin or Telewest connection!) rather than in the countryside. The box is only a few yards away. But I can imagine two or three months to get the license to dig up the road, then a month or two to organise it. If it's more than 6 months we may be better off getting another proper broadband and phone provider rather than fudging it with a 4g connection. 

Sorry there are few what will likely seem like basic questions I need to ask to get a better understanding of your position.

Were you still within a minimum contract term at the OLD property?

Have you made ANY changes to the contract at the new property (seems unlikely I know, got to ask)

Have you paid any bills at the NEW property?

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Lleebb76
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

We have 5 months left on our contract in our current house (we haven't moved yet). 

Our new contract will be the same as our current one.

We haven't had any new bills yet. 

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I'm surprised that VM's system allowed you to make a booking even though the ducting isn't in place. Can you confirm that there is no pavement Tee opposite your house? Check for similar ones by your neighbours' houses.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos