Menu
ijazdar
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Virgin refusing to give my money back

Just come off the phone to be told Virgin will not give my money back close to £1000.

Everything was fine while I was on a residential account, but moved the same services to a business account. When setting up the business account I was told they will move over the same landline number and broadband services and will cease the residential account. But Virgin media kept taking payments for both the business and residential for the same phone line and same broadband service.

I have only picked up that they have been taking payments twice for the same service, but virgin managers and virgin themselves said your money is lost and cannot be returned. I was also advised if I stopped either direct debit payments then I would have the debt collectors sent, so virgin advised I kept paying any outstanding bills.

I have now got confirmation the residential account has been stopped but I had rung them before about this and apparently the person dealing with this at Virgin didn't fill in the details. So effectively I didn't call them.

I have raised a complaint for what should be a simple issue to resolve. But since their managers have decided they are not going to return my money, I have informed them I will be looking at closing all services with them.

This act is a criminal act as it is my money they have taken/stolen. Had this been the other way round, virgin would want the money they were owed, so why is it different here.

Instead of admitting a mistake and trying to correct it, they have simply turned into bullies and thugs. I would have expected better from them after being a customer with them for over 20 years.

After this experience I will not be recommending Virgin to any of my friends, family or colleagues simply because Virgin can no longer be trusted. Further complaints will be raised with my local MP and councillors regarding the conduct of Virgin Media as a company.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin refusing to give my money back

If you believe it’s a criminal act, are you going to go to the police?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
Shweby
Superfast
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Shafreya wrote:

If you believe it’s a criminal act, are you going to go to the police?

Of course there not. They just want to complain on here in the hope it will magicly get sorted.

TR5
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

So what does the community do, if it doesn't help customers that have problems with VM?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

it helps vm residential customers with technical problems. Not billing ones that have to be sorted with VM directly with a phone call.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@ijazdar, that is troubling and I am surprised common sense did not dictate the impossibility of receiving  both services over the same connection. If your complaint has reached a deadlock with Virgin Media then, as detailed in their complaints process, take it to independent adjudication.

BTW, use the GDPR to request all your data so you can review notes and/or audio recordings made by Virgin Media.

0 Kudos
ijazdar
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I have had a quick look into any similar issues with other customers with Virgin Media, and the findings were overwhelming. It would seem this issue is common, and looks like normal practice, almost deliberate.

There are avenues to recover the money, through direct debit guarantee, Ofcom ADR Schemes CISAS. Reporting to newspapers Miles Brignall (The Guardian), Rebecca Smithers (The Guardian), Anna Tims (The Guardian), Jessica Gorst-Williams (The Telegraph) to name a few who covered such stories.

Links below for anyone in the same situation

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/problems/adr-schemes

https://www.cedr.com/consumer/cisas/make-a-complaint/

https://www.choose.co.uk/guide/broadband-or-mobile-bill-credit-refund.html

The purpose of posting was make people aware of a dark and sinister side to Virgin Media. It seems the direct debit method needs to be addresses and reviewed by the government and banking industry. This is a trust based system where you allow companies to withdraw only what is owed. But here they are withdrawing excess money they are not entitled to with no consequences, deterrents or penalties. Some people don't check their bank accounts constantly and verify every entry on their bank statement, and this is what these companies seem to take advantage of.

I believe a similar penalty should be put into place against the companies, the same as the companies apply to their customers for none payment or late payment. There should be a penalty charge introduced for taking extra money from the customer, then a daily charge applied until they return all the money. These will hopefully help prevent and discourage companies abusing the trust you have given them.

When I realised I had been paying twice, I stopped the second payment going through. I phoned them up to explain this, but the response given was, a penalty had been applied for non payment of a direct debit agreement. Failure to pay the amount owed will lead to involving debt recovery agencies and may also incur a daily charge until the balance is paid.

Hearing this when they owe me money is frustrating to say the least. The final straw was when the managers at Virgin Media made the decision that I was not going to get any money back and which point I made a formal complaint against the company which is ongoing.

For those who think Virgin Media don't do this deliberately, have look at the Ofcom report of how much money (it's Millions) Virgin Media kept from credit owed to customers who left Virgin Media.

I just believe that everyone has the right to know what can happen if Virgin Media take your money.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

“Dark sinister” is an an Edgar Allan Poe tale, probably not an appropriate description of the issue here. Also the article you linked to, Are you owed a broadband or mobile bill credit refund?, described Virgin Media as a “Refund Hero”.

BTW make sure to progress your complaint with Virgin Media through each stages' time frame; do not rely on Virgin Media to do this for you.

0 Kudos