Menu
tw43
Joining in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Virgin overcharged me £216 due to tech fault, not provided refund

Hello,

Over several months in 2018 I was overcharged £216.46 by direct debit by Virgin Media for phone calls to Jamaica. After calling customer support in November and getting a technician's visit, Virgin confirmed that the overcharge was in error (i.e. the calls were from a different address) and Virgin customer service told me that in 2 weeks they would send a cheque.

After 2 weeks the cheque did not arrive so I phoned again and was told the same thing, to wait 2 weeks and a cheque would arrive.

After 2 weeks (you can see the pattern here) I phoned again and was told, the first two people I spoke to were mistaken and Virgin would never send a cheque, but would just credit to my Virgin account. However it was not until my 3rd or 4th phone call on the matter that the money was even credit to my Virgin account (note that this is not where I want the money - I want to have the money back in my bank account, where Virgin should never have taken it in the first place!).

I would like to request that Virgin properly refunds the outstanding money, which is what I initially requested and understood would happen when I first broached the issue with Virgin in November.

How can I proceed? I tried raising a complaint, but after calling back a few days later I was told the complaint was closed because Virgin had refunded the money to my Virgin account.

Now I have closed my contract with Virgin because after about 10 phone calls of more than 1 hour (so I have invested more than an entire working day trying to solve this), I have still not received my money back, and I am being told now that it would only be returned when I return all the equipment at the end of the contract. What I am being told is incorrect, since legally a direct debit taken in error should be refunded when the error is discovered, not credited to a customer account and not refunded only under caveats.

Given the considerable time I have spent trying to fix this, and that I am still not in possession of the overcharged money, I would like to request adequate compensation for the time and hard work I have put into this, *in addition to the original £216.46 that was taken in error*.

Please can somebody from Virgin contact me to resolve this?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin overcharged me £216 due to tech fault, not provided refund

@tw43 wrote:

What I am being told is incorrect, since legally a direct debit taken in error should be refunded when the error is discovered, not credited to a customer account and not refunded only under caveats.

Given the considerable time I have spent trying to fix this, and that I am still not in possession of the overcharged money, I would like to request adequate compensation for the time and hard work I have put into this, *in addition to the original £216.46 that was taken in error*.

Please can somebody from Virgin contact me to resolve this?

Thank you

These are community forums, you will NOT get contact from VM through here in order to resolve your issue. For the record, the legal mechanism you refer to is the direct debit guarantee, and needs to be invoked by the customer, it does not happen automatically. Not trying to be clever just pointing out where the best point of leverage may well be. Smiley Wink

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Beady2001
Joining in
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Have you tryed the live chat. You could try going to there offices in Nottingham. 

0 Kudos
Beady2001
Joining in
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

You could take then to court? 

0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

'I would like to request adequate compensation for the time and hard work I have put into this'

if it went to the ombudsman, which is the logical step for that, you may get something. quite often monies for 'work' is predetermined and you would need a reasonable amount of proof of work.

beady2001 suggests you going to court. obviously it would be the small claims court. i would stick with the ombudsman re the payment for work angle.

kippies is correct that you should contact your bank about the direct debit part. obviously if virgin refunded the £216.46 afterwards you would have to send that back to them.

certainly a mess up and virgin should have sorted this one much more quickly. i wish you well.
0 Kudos
tw43
Joining in
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. Since I raised a complaint in Virgin's internal complaints system on 31 Dec and it was closed on 4 Jan without contacting me, am I OK to go to the Ombudsman already?

By ombudsman do you mean Ofcom? Looking at their website (https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/how-to-report-a-complaint/billing) they say:

Ofcom works to ensure everyone gets the very best from their communications.

Our role is to look at how issues affect UK consumers as a whole.

We cannot handle individual complaints.

anyone got experience taking Virgin Media to the Ombudsman

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired) Kaz_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi tw43

I appreciate you getting in touch with us.

I can see you have also been in touch with our teams over the last few days and there has been some movement on this.

Please continue to keep in touch with that team regarding this so they can support you with any questions about the complaint you may have.

Kindest regards.

Karen

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
tw43
Joining in
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

You are missing my point. I have "been in touch" but I made no progress. There should me more than 10 phone calls logged from me about this issue. The money is still not in my bank account. Hence why I am on this forum. Please address my problem ASAP

0 Kudos
tw43
Joining in
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Also "continue to support me" - that implies that someone was supporting me in the first place!

0 Kudos
tw43
Joining in
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Karen, please can you make sure somebody contacts me with the authority to fix my problem and return the money to me that was charged in error! You can combine it with a PR exercise if you like but please return my money!

0 Kudos