cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin mis-sold me 2nd Contract

jdickson007
On our wavelength

The whole saga highlights Virgin's incompetence, and I have posted details on TrustPilot to make others aware

My question is - how to I cancel the 2nd Contract? I have legal right to do so (14-day cooling off period) but there is no option online.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

you can only cancel by phone or letter

there is something odd/wrong - VM will allow 2 installs accounts at the same premises but afaik it has to be set up in a special way - call centre staff cannot simply add a second account so what you have whilst not impossible is odd t say the least

when they add to an existing package its usually just that - look at the original contract and add/subtract services and end up with what is wanted - i am wondering if whoever set this up has cancelled the original broadband only package and started a new one with what shows as your second package

did they send a new hub and whatever for the tv - if so have you set that up and does it work - if so does the old hub still work

afaik there is no reason you cannot have a business deal but that does not support tv so maybe badly explained from the agent

will ask questions behind the scenes as what you are saying makes no sense - thats not disputing what you are saying - the no sense is aimed at VM

Tony.
Sacked VIP

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

one Business Package only be sold to someone have a Business at that address and they will ask you to provide it and they make it harder for home addreess have Business Package. 

if you own the Business they will only provide Business Package's to working areas only not home address they are very hard to get a Business Package from virgin media becuse you have to send them alot of info about the Business you run. 

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media 350MB

Using Ultimate Volt bundle

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong. If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

Is this a joke response?

Calling Virgin? You never answer. Online chat is probably worse but at least can leave a page open in hope that someone will respond.

Virgin have mis-sold me a 2nd contract - which I intend to cancel (somehow).

Via Yodel, Virgin have sent some kit - but there is no way to cancel this.

Via Yodel, I can say I am holiday and put delivery on Hold but I am unwilling since a requirement is to take Full Responsibility.

Virgin have history losing equipment because of this disconnect between them and Yodel.

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

It's still 1997 in Virgin Media Land, so there's no online cancellation facility.  You phone in and navigate VM's grim telephony, or you can write in by (recorded) post, as per the T&Cs.  The forum staff can't cancel or change contracts, but if there's a resolution short of cancellation they may be able to assist if you want to share some details (nothing personally identifying in public posts though)

They sold 2nd contract (tv & broadband) 4 weeks after selling me 1st contract (broadband only) - i.e. broadband included in both.

In online chat, agreed to Add TV for extra 11 GBP per month (11+28=39) - now have total bill of 90 GBP.  

Either incompetence or dishonesty, or both.

Trying to cancel 2nd but if cannot, will not pay, willing go to court and see who wins.

If you don't pay, it'll mess up your credit history, and although that can be sorted out, it's a lot of hassle, and I'd recommend against that path.  Keep paying, demand compensation and the deal you agreed, use the VM complaints process and escalation to the industry arbitration scheme CISAS if need be,  But before that see what the forum staff can do - I'll flag this for them to advise, and they'll need to contact you through private messaging.

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi jdickson007

Thanks for posting. I am sorry to hear of this allegation but it's not mis-selling. 

What this sounds like from the post and the checks done is your first bill. So your first bill is always double due to the advance billing plus any activation/set up fees. 

If that's been created and you upgrade, then you'll be charged pro rata especially if the upgrade price is higher. Pro rata charges again due to advance billing. 

For more information on the first bill, you can find out more here

Relating the complaint, I am more than happy to assist you with this so I will send you a PM now.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

I disagree

I know have 2 contracts - both include Broadband so being sold & charged for same service twice.

1st bill for 1st contract was larger - as you say (one off charges)

1st bill for 2nd contract will be larger too - for same reasons.

So I have one-off charges twice.

But check transcript of online chat. Agent agreed to add TV for 11 GBP per month

on top of existing 28 GBP per month for Broadband.

So expect monthly bill = 39 - but receive one for 62 (1st month = 100)

How did 39 become 62 ?? Mis-selling.

I notice no-one from Virgin has actually answered the question as to how I cancel a contract

But they will spend time denying my version of events and telling me it is all a mis-understanding on my part.

Before you say "call - it is quicker" - it really is not. But I have called twice to be told Contact Centre staff cannot send emails (confirming cancellation). If only they worked for a communications company that offers email as a service. Perhaps one it can sell twice to same customer.

Both Contracts still show up against my Account

Contact Centre staff did say their calls are recorded so they would not lie and I should trust them.

But it is trusting Virgin staff in the first place that got me into this mess - so I don't.

Read transcript of online chat if you want to know truth - please don't deny my version of events without evidence.

Suspect Agents are paid commission on Sales - and that is all you need to know to figure out what happens at Virgin.

And why does a Contact Centre in India open at 2pm local time ??? A 24-hour service is required.

I tried to switch to Business Package but Virgin would not permit. 

you can only cancel by phone or letter

there is something odd/wrong - VM will allow 2 installs accounts at the same premises but afaik it has to be set up in a special way - call centre staff cannot simply add a second account so what you have whilst not impossible is odd t say the least

when they add to an existing package its usually just that - look at the original contract and add/subtract services and end up with what is wanted - i am wondering if whoever set this up has cancelled the original broadband only package and started a new one with what shows as your second package

did they send a new hub and whatever for the tv - if so have you set that up and does it work - if so does the old hub still work

afaik there is no reason you cannot have a business deal but that does not support tv so maybe badly explained from the agent

will ask questions behind the scenes as what you are saying makes no sense - thats not disputing what you are saying - the no sense is aimed at VM

Tony.
Sacked VIP