cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Staff no knowledge of new terms & conditions!

Leffemonster
On our wavelength

So with the price of my package going up by almost 20% I decided to move to the M125 broadband-only deal and ditch the Maxit TV and landline. Most of our viewing is free-to-air anyway so I’m moving to Freesat and we rarely use the landline. Sure, I’ll miss MotoGP but that’s likely to be moving to Discovery+ after the merger with EuroSport anyway. 

The process of changing the services was painless enough thanks to a very helpful UK-based call handler who didn’t give me any hard-sell, but I was informed that my price was fixed for the full 18 months of the new contract. When I explained that this was contrary to the new terms and conditions outlined in the email I’d received, and that my price would rise in line with RPI +3.9% in April 2024, the call handler seemed blissfully unaware that this would be the case! In fact, she also informed me that if it DID rise in April 2024 then I had 30 days from my notification in which to cancel without penalty.

Now, either she was trying to pull the wool over my eyes and give me deliberately misleading information, or Virgin Media seem not to have properly briefed their own call handlers on the new T&Cs.

I’ve been with Virgin since 2008 and am happy to keep their broadband service. In 18 months time I’ll see what the market can offer once I’m out of contract but, until then, I’ll enjoy saving £60 a month.

2 REPLIES 2

unisoft
Well-informed

@Leffemonster wrote:

So with the price of my package going up by almost 20% I decided to move to the M125 broadband-only deal and ditch the Maxit TV and landline. Most of our viewing is free-to-air anyway so I’m moving to Freesat and we rarely use the landline. Sure, I’ll miss MotoGP but that’s likely to be moving to Discovery+ after the merger with EuroSport anyway. 

The process of changing the services was painless enough thanks to a very helpful UK-based call handler who didn’t give me any hard-sell, but I was informed that my price was fixed for the full 18 months of the new contract. When I explained that this was contrary to the new terms and conditions outlined in the email I’d received, and that my price would rise in line with RPI +3.9% in April 2024, the call handler seemed blissfully unaware that this would be the case! In fact, she also informed me that if it DID rise in April 2024 then I had 30 days from my notification in which to cancel without penalty.

Now, either she was trying to pull the wool over my eyes and give me deliberately misleading information, or Virgin Media seem not to have properly briefed their own call handlers on the new T&Cs.

I’ve been with Virgin since 2008 and am happy to keep their broadband service. In 18 months time I’ll see what the market can offer once I’m out of contract but, until then, I’ll enjoy saving £60 a month.

I would be very wary of that advice. I too was told by OUTBOUND retentions (like a level 2) that my contract renewal would be fixed as they were now doing all contracts like that in the current climate.

Fast forward Sept last year to March this year, and a price increase letter of £7 a month received. If your contract says "Discount" on it I have found this to mean its NOT fixed like was said. I had actually asked 2-3 times in my retentions call about future price increases and asking if they were sure I wasn't going to get any for the 18 months.

@unisoft wrote:

I would be very wary of that advice. I too was told by OUTBOUND retentions (like a level 2) that my contract renewal would be fixed as they were now doing all contracts like that in the current climate.

Fast forward Sept last year to March this year, and a price increase letter of £7 a month received. If your contract says "Discount" on it I have found this to mean it’s NOT fixed like was said. I had actually asked 2-3 times in my retentions call about future price increases and asking if they were sure I wasn't going to get any for the 18 months.

Oh, don’t worry. I’m well aware my price will increase in April 2024 - it’s clearly stated in my new contract that “The price of your Virgin Media services may increase during your contract.” I just find it very hard to believe that call centre staff dealing with renegotiations - who must be extremely busy recently - are NOT aware.