cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Media lie

laf
Tuning in

We've been loyal customers with VM for many many years spending far more than we needed but due to communication difficulties and huge wait times we've just let things slide. One example was fighting to get a new remote control when ours stopped working - really!

Back in April I made the effort to make changes to reduce the price of my package. I made it clear that I was reluctant to take out a new contract as it was possible we would be moving abroad. I was reassured this would not be a problem as we could be released from our contract if we provided proof of our house sale and evidence of leaving the country.  Reassured I signed up. 

We are now moving abroad in November, quicker than I anticipated.  I spent a large part of two days attempting to phone or robot chat with VM. I was close to tears with the frustration of this being virtually impossible by any of the means they offer. Choose the correct option and they refuse to pick up. Choose a new customer option and get straight through only to be transferred back to the hour-plus long wait time and then be cut off. Finally got involved in her WhatsApp method again taking forever to reach the next level of assistance. What a complete charade. 

Surprise surprise they denied there was any dispensation for leaving the country and I will be liable for hundreds of £ for disconnection and early termination, referring me to their T&Cs. I stupidly believed the call handler. "Calls are recorded" so will they be checking mine to confirm the lie I was told or is this evidence only used when it's to benefit VM?

I've made a formal complaint but no doubt they'll just quote their T&Cs and not address the information I was given.

We have to take all our bulky, heavy, equipment away with us, wait 10 days for packing and post it back to them. Really who on earth wants all this old stuff and what the hell would we do if we were leaving the country immediately. 

I was even asked to refer our house buyer and provide his phone number so they could sign him up to VM - unbelievable. I will warn him. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Well, since you're moving outside of VM's service area, they'll have to let you leave without penalty.  As per the company's own press guff.  The way VM have implemented this is particularly cack-handed, but it's one option.  Due to the way it has been implemented it will be a pain to do if moving outside the country, and you've probably got to deal with the clueless telephone or Whatsapp agents again.  And in passing, if the forum staff read this, is anybody at VM Towers aware that six months after the company announced that change on off-network movers, the online T&Cs that are supposed to be the definitive and most current version have still not been updated for this policy?  I'm not suggesting the entire web site is a dysfunctional, tumbleweed-strewn wasteland of out of date content, broken links and unhelpful help (other than to the extent that it is).   There's also a first line agent training issue they may want to refer on.

Obviously if the company still say "computer says no", then it's time get heavy.  If when you agreed the latest deal you mentioned that you were possibly fleeing this be-nighted land, and either (a) the agent said no early release fee would apply, or if (b) they failed to draw your attention to the fact that it would apply, then you've got an excellent case against the company.  There's a web form to request all your personal data from VM as a Subject Access Request, search that out, ask for everything VM have on you, and then review the recordings.  Although all calls are recorded and retained for at least six months, the regular telephone agents do not have access to call recordings, all they can see is notes on the system.  This can take up to 30 days, but it may be necessary.

If (a) applies, then no fee is payable because anything you relied upon when entering the new contract becomes a substantive part of the new contract, and that's a black and white requirement of UK statute law within the Consumer Rights Act 2015, S50.  If (b) is the case, then you have a first class argument that the agent was negligent in knowingly selling a contract that would not meet your needs, which is mis-selling by omission and is covered by the Unfair Trading Regulations 2008, Regulation 6 (you could also contact Citizens Advice and ask them to refer to Trading Standards who have to enforce the 2008 rules).  In both of these cases, regardless of what VM's T&C say, statute and contract law trump VM's own terms if the two differ.

I've noticed the helpful forum staff being far more proactive in the past couple of months to resolve problems before they get referred to the industry complaints adjudicator, so, let's hope the they can pick this up and sort it promptly, because if they can't then your route forward is a formal complaint to VM, using the web form in My Virgin Media, that will inevitably get you a fob-off resolution in a day or two, and you respond by rejecting the resolution and asking for a deadlock letter, when you get that you raise the matter with CISAS.  

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Well, since you're moving outside of VM's service area, they'll have to let you leave without penalty.  As per the company's own press guff.  The way VM have implemented this is particularly cack-handed, but it's one option.  Due to the way it has been implemented it will be a pain to do if moving outside the country, and you've probably got to deal with the clueless telephone or Whatsapp agents again.  And in passing, if the forum staff read this, is anybody at VM Towers aware that six months after the company announced that change on off-network movers, the online T&Cs that are supposed to be the definitive and most current version have still not been updated for this policy?  I'm not suggesting the entire web site is a dysfunctional, tumbleweed-strewn wasteland of out of date content, broken links and unhelpful help (other than to the extent that it is).   There's also a first line agent training issue they may want to refer on.

Obviously if the company still say "computer says no", then it's time get heavy.  If when you agreed the latest deal you mentioned that you were possibly fleeing this be-nighted land, and either (a) the agent said no early release fee would apply, or if (b) they failed to draw your attention to the fact that it would apply, then you've got an excellent case against the company.  There's a web form to request all your personal data from VM as a Subject Access Request, search that out, ask for everything VM have on you, and then review the recordings.  Although all calls are recorded and retained for at least six months, the regular telephone agents do not have access to call recordings, all they can see is notes on the system.  This can take up to 30 days, but it may be necessary.

If (a) applies, then no fee is payable because anything you relied upon when entering the new contract becomes a substantive part of the new contract, and that's a black and white requirement of UK statute law within the Consumer Rights Act 2015, S50.  If (b) is the case, then you have a first class argument that the agent was negligent in knowingly selling a contract that would not meet your needs, which is mis-selling by omission and is covered by the Unfair Trading Regulations 2008, Regulation 6 (you could also contact Citizens Advice and ask them to refer to Trading Standards who have to enforce the 2008 rules).  In both of these cases, regardless of what VM's T&C say, statute and contract law trump VM's own terms if the two differ.

I've noticed the helpful forum staff being far more proactive in the past couple of months to resolve problems before they get referred to the industry complaints adjudicator, so, let's hope the they can pick this up and sort it promptly, because if they can't then your route forward is a formal complaint to VM, using the web form in My Virgin Media, that will inevitably get you a fob-off resolution in a day or two, and you respond by rejecting the resolution and asking for a deadlock letter, when you get that you raise the matter with CISAS.  

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi laf

Thanks for posting and welcome back to the community. I am sorry to hear of the dispute with the contract.

I shall send you a PM now to assist further.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @laf

Thanks for your message. If you check the 'good folk to know' section, you'll see all my details and that I work for Virgin Media 🙂

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Thank you so much for your advice Andrew and to John and Gareth for resolving my issue.

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @laf,

Thank you for the update on this. I'm glad to hear that you've been able to get this resolved with John, and Gareth. If you need anything else, feel free to create a new post and one of our team will be happy to lend a hand.

Cheers,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ