cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Media did not pay me the full amount for Automatic Compensation of my delayed installation

polar_chung
Tuning in

VM customer service has told me that the rest of my automatic compensation was in the further investigation and asked me to wait for the response from VM within 72 hours. I am very frustrated since no any reply from VM for this complaint over 10 days (720hours)!!

I hope VM forum staff can help to follow my complaint C-0211221011. I am asking VM to pay me back the missed automatic compensation for 58days (only 26days were paid by VM but totally my installation was delayed 84days). VM customer service just played tricks with completely unhelpful answer. Even they arranged an engineer from technical for home visit but he asked me what's wrong with my broadband connection.  Feeling like they were finding someone to kick me out of the complaint and not willing to pay the rest of my automatic compensation!

Anyway, I have filed the same complaint in the system of CISAS and my application of adjudication by CEDR has been already accepted even. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

VM have in some instances claimed that they could not install as they did not have the necessary permissions.  This is a valid excuse if true, but has on occasion been abused by the company.  VM are still liable to pay compensation for delays caused if they didn't promptly apply for any necessary permits, and for delays if they didn't act when they had the permits.  If there's any attempt to play the "council delays" card, then contact your local council's highways team, and ask them if Virgin Media applied for a "Section 50 permit" near to your property, when that was applied for and when it was issued.  Typically the councils are a lot more efficient than urban myth has it, and they'll take a day or two to turn these around, and it's those couple of days that VM might reasonably claim they shouldn't be liable for - in the instances I have in mind the company wilfully tried to misrepresent much longer periods of time of the delays as entirely or largely down to the council.  An example of this is not installing in the first agreed timescale, then somebody goes and has a look when that circa 2 week window has already been missed, and concludes some digging in pavements is needed.  That take a few days to sort out the permit, VM then try and blame the entire delay up to that date on the council, when they should reasonably have known at the outset whether the property was serviceable without the need for digging, and they had two weeks to check anyway.  If this sort of situation applies to you, then there's a good chance that you'll need to take a formal complaint to the industry adjudicator, CISAS, unless the forum staff can wave their magic wand for you

If the delays were caused by wayleave agreements (legal permissions to install in, across or under somebody else's property, eg a landlord or housing association) then that always takes a long time, and the chances of getting compensation is much reduced.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi polar_chung,

Thanks for your post, I'm sorry to hear of the situation.

So I can discuss this further with you I'll need a few more details, I've popped you over a private message (purple envelope, top right hand corner)

Alex_Rm

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

VM have in some instances claimed that they could not install as they did not have the necessary permissions.  This is a valid excuse if true, but has on occasion been abused by the company.  VM are still liable to pay compensation for delays caused if they didn't promptly apply for any necessary permits, and for delays if they didn't act when they had the permits.  If there's any attempt to play the "council delays" card, then contact your local council's highways team, and ask them if Virgin Media applied for a "Section 50 permit" near to your property, when that was applied for and when it was issued.  Typically the councils are a lot more efficient than urban myth has it, and they'll take a day or two to turn these around, and it's those couple of days that VM might reasonably claim they shouldn't be liable for - in the instances I have in mind the company wilfully tried to misrepresent much longer periods of time of the delays as entirely or largely down to the council.  An example of this is not installing in the first agreed timescale, then somebody goes and has a look when that circa 2 week window has already been missed, and concludes some digging in pavements is needed.  That take a few days to sort out the permit, VM then try and blame the entire delay up to that date on the council, when they should reasonably have known at the outset whether the property was serviceable without the need for digging, and they had two weeks to check anyway.  If this sort of situation applies to you, then there's a good chance that you'll need to take a formal complaint to the industry adjudicator, CISAS, unless the forum staff can wave their magic wand for you

If the delays were caused by wayleave agreements (legal permissions to install in, across or under somebody else's property, eg a landlord or housing association) then that always takes a long time, and the chances of getting compensation is much reduced.

Thank you so much for your information. They have many excuses for my request of the rest of the compensation. Their CS staff on phone or messenger are totally unhelpful. They keep wasting my time being frustrated. Even they explained me this is automatic system they cannot adjust the compensation...really unbelivalble.

In my case, I have granted all necessary accesses for Virgin Media to work out my broadband. I booked in the moving in May and the installation date was confirmed in July. Definitely they have plenty of time to make sure everything is working for the connection of my house. They have a big problem in the coordination for the works but the fault is totally not on my side.

I hope the forum staff still can wave their magic wand but actually I feel hopeless.
I have filed my complaint in CISAS and they accepted my application for adjudication. Just looking for the positive outcome for what I have done.

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for joining me over private message polar_chung 🙂

Glad I was able to help!

Alex_Rm

Many thanks Alex. With your help the issue is over, I don't need to be frustrated anymore.