cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Media Renewed my contract after I phoned them not to.

johnnycrowe
Tuning in

I've read other instances of this e.g https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Cable/Contract-Renewal-Without-My-Consent...

At the end of an 18-month contract I had a long and difficult conversation with a call centre agent (partly due to her lack of English) in which I said I didn't want my contact renewed. The contact was supposed to end a few weeks ago, I have a new provider, and yet I get an email today from Virgin saying I now have bills with 'late payment fees' for a subscription I no longer use. 

As this is not an isolated incident, and I think these extortionate practices by VM are a terrible way to treat customers, especially during a cost of living crisis. 

It's very difficult to get through to anyone from Virgin on the phone, so I'd appreciate a PM from the Forum Team. 

4 REPLIES 4

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

HI Johnnycrowe, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to our forums 🙂 
I am sorry to hear you have had issues with your contract. Did you advise you did not want to re-contract or you were giving in your notice? 

Did the bill you receive advise if it was your final bill?
Zoie

My contract came to an end on the 9th Sept. I called before that to ask not to renew it. I'm still being charged at twice the rate.

Are you able to DM me?

After waiting another hour on the phone, I eventually got through to customer service agent. I have been informed by a Virgin Media representative from the Cancellations Team that I will need to pay my final bill (which I have agreed) and that the remaining amount will be wiped out, and that my account will finally be cancelled as previously requested. I was told by the virgin media rep that my contract 'wasn't renewed but 'rolled on,' most customers don't understand that.' I'm not surprised!

VM make it purposely impossible to get through to someone on the phone so that it becomes very difficult to make changes or cancel an account. I find it quite shocking and unethical that VM behave in this underhand way to customers, and I've added my experience of being VM survivor along with the thousands of other one-star reviews on TrustPilot. 

All phone calls were recorded and a complaint has been lodged with CISAS as part of CEDR/OFCOM.

Hi johnnycrowe, 

Thanks for coming back to us via the Community on this and for expanding on this. We're glad you've been able to speak to the team to get things sorted. 

If your contract was to just end, this would mean services would also end at that time. Due to this, they don'e and instead they continue on a 30 day rolling basis. The minimum term would end though. 

The increase comes from when you join us as a new customer, you will usually be on a welcome offer. When this offer ends, you'll usually revert to the standard package price for the bundle. The cost of this will be listed on your contract and the end date of the discounts is listed on each bill. We also send out an End Of Contact Notification to you before your contract comes to an end highlighting the new price and also any offers that may be of interest.

I'm sorry you've decided to leave and we wish you the best with your new provider. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs