Menu
bluetulisa
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media Reneging On Contract

Please can someone help me with this - been on hold on the phone line and I don't have all day.

Really annoyed at Virgin for wasting time like this. Here is a quick timeline as to what happened:

28/8 - Get an email entitled 'keep getting the good stuff' which promises to extend my contract for another 12 months at current price (£33). 

31/8 - I agree to this using the link in the email. Two confirmation emails follow.

1/9 - On checking the detail, I see the contract is trying to charge me £56 a month, which is not the £33 I agreed to. 

1/9 - I go onto the Live Chat and ask why this is. The chat representative told me to forward him the promotional email, which I did. He then amended my bill to £33, but told me I had to return on the 27th Sept to contact them again to apply the discount to the rest of my account. I told him I was on holiday at that time, and would be back for the 30th Sept, and he said he would make a note on my account of that.

1/10 - Go on to Live Chat today to request the discount applies to the rest of my contract. Chat representative says they have no record of me being eligible for any discount, and is not interested to see the email, or check the notes on my account. The Direct Debit says £56 a month which is obviously not what I signed up for. Ring up Customer services but after queuing for 20 minutes I am forced to give up.

Is there any representatives here that can help me? I feel utterly misled over the whole shambles. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Ben_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media Reneging On Contract

Hi bluetulisa,

Really sorry to hear about the issues you've had so far getting this issue resolved. 

Have the team on 0345 454 1111 been able to get this resolved since you made this post? 

Thanks

Ben_N

0 Kudos
bluetulisa
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Nope.

In fact they simply backed up what the chat agent said - that the offer didn't exist on my account and was for new customers. This was despite me having a copy of the email in front of me which indisputably offers me the chance to renew my current deal for an extra 12 months. 

I offered to forward the email (like I did to the first chat agent) but they were not interested.

So we had a deadlock. I said either honour the deal I was emailed, or I will have to terminate the deal - no way am I paying £56 a month for something I was offered at £33. The agent then put into action the disconnection, which happens next month.

I have a complaint outstanding with Resolver and I fully intend to escalate it to Cisas, even though I won't be a Virgin Media customer by that time, a shame because apart from a small blip a few months ago where speeds were slow, I have had zero problems with the service.

I find it absolutely scandalous that a company can email a customer an offer, yet tries to bill the customer more when they accept it, and when queried have no idea what communications were sent to the customer. There must have been several people who don't check their direct debits and have been tricked into a price increase.

0 Kudos
bluetulisa
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Just a quick update on this.

I took this case to CISAS and Virgin settled my demand for cash compensation without the need for it to go to arbitration. The process was pretty efficient although you will need to scan your deadlock letter and state your case clearly.

If the same thing has happened to you, the previous guidelines for a similar case is £100 (plus any excess charges you incurred while put onto a wrong tariff). 

Because Virgin wouldn't move me to the original contract I was offered, I had to leave. Their executive complaints department conceded that they were in the wrong, but they wouldn't match the deal I got with Sky Digital - hardly an unreasonable request, as I was actually saving money. 

So for the sake of c.£100, they have lost a customer for life.