Menu
DaniGn
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

VM fraudulent 12 month contract

Tl;dr - VM have unilaterally signed us up on a 12 month contract and breached confidentiality by sending our details to other people.

VM have been nothing but a nightmare recently. 

We moved house and notified them so that we could take our services with us. We never received any email confirmation and on calling up we’re told they seemed to have the wrong email address, which is odd given they always get the right email address when billing us. 

Inevitably the package installed was incorrect and not what we were offered. On calling up today to query this and work out what had happened a lovely gentleman in cancellations told us he could sort the whole thing including assuring me whatever he is doing will not sign us up for a 12 month contract when I explicitly asked before he did anything. Furthermore, he asked me for the email address to send confirmation to. 

I checked again this evening to now find that the previously agreed 30 day contract had been changed to a 12 month contract. I can appreciate a misunderstanding if there had been a grey area regarding this. But I explicitly asked if this would remain a 30 day rolling contract and was assured it would. 

To rub salt in the wound, our information has been sent to someone else instead of our email address. Not a typo, an entirely different email address. 

I have never asked for a deal or upgrades. Only what VM could offer for £25pm and on a rolling 30 day contract. As that was what was important to us. Now we have neither of those things and a breach of confidentiality to boot. 

Been trying to call customer services this evening to only be told they are closed (called at 6pm Saturday, online pages state open until 8pm)

Either this needs to be resolved ASAP or I will be taking this matter further. 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM fraudulent 12 month contract

Not defending in any way shape or form , but I likely can explain...

Taking what you were told aside, if you move your services to another property, and are on a standard contract, that generates a new 12 month contract at the new address.

You would likely have to cancel at the old address, then sign up for 30 day rolling at the new. Hence the upfront set up costs for 30 day rolling.

Again, not defending just giving you what is likely to have happened to give you some information to work with...

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
DaniGn
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

An interesting point, I appreciate your input.

Just to be clear, we were not in contract at the old house and I agree that moving house will usually necessitate signing up for a minimum term contract and incur costs.

As such I made it very clear in every phone call conversation that we were not interested in a 12 month term contract. In fact as VM have a 30 day broadband product I even suggested, in the first instance, cancelling and signing up anew.

I'm not querying the installation costs. The costs quoted above are the regular monthly amounts on the contract/package pages of the online account. 

I appreciate there are often misunderstandings when it comes to 12 month contracts and renewals. I'm not making any inference in to whose fault that is. My point is that I clearly communicated that I was not going to sign up for a 12 month contract and was told that this would not happen. Yet I was signed up for a 12 month contract. In the absence of my consent, and with express dissent for a 12 month contract, I'd say this is negligence at best and fraudulent at worst.

0 Kudos
mbrazier
Just joined
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately, your experience with this is not unique and I am having similar issues.

House move went fine and service activated as expected but my account says I have agreed to a new contract, the contract email was sent to the wrong address and my account says I have a 12 month contract. Called customer service many times and they have told me notes on my account indicate there is no 12 month contract and that when a house move is complete "the system does this". As a consumer I thought I had the right to get a copy of a contract associated with my account but I am told there is no facility to send this out or anything to confirm I am on a 30 day rolling term. The adviser I was speaking to came across quite shirty when I continued to request what my contract and was saying I am within my rights to do this. I find it somewhat disconcerting that a contract is agreed that I have not seen and the fact that whilst on hold automated messages say privacy is taken seriously but then something like this happens.

If it wasn't for the fact Virgin Media had the fastest speeds in my area I would want to leave and go with a company that does actually listen and is able to do, what I consider, are things within my consumer rights.

Matt.

0 Kudos