cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM engineer no-show, Billing team refuse to compensate

mathewtaylor
Tuning in

I was having a long running issue with my broadband intermittently disconnecting (in the end it turned out to be a wider VM issue) - I booked the engineer to come and waited in for them and they never arrived.

According to the automatic compensation rules I should be entitled to approx £25 from them. But despite a lengthy conversation with the billing team and evidence of the appointment booking  - they are point-blank refusing to credit me.

VM are all to happy to charge you £25 if you are not present, so why won't they refund me for their no-show?

13 REPLIES 13

@mathewtaylor wrote:

Thankyou both for your advice.

I had to complain forcefully and quote the OFCOM agreement before the advisor finally agreed to pay the full £26.

No apology, no "I got it wrong"  - I think as you stated they are told that the default is to never payout. I suspect this automatic compensation logic is never applied automatically.

Anyway thanks guys, I hope this thread proves useful to anyone else being messed around.

As reported in topics on here, much of VM's MO to avoid payouts relies on fobbing customers off with inaccurate, incomplete or incorrect information. I would imagine, in a majority of cases, the customer gets so fed up they just give up.

Glad to hear you were able to persist and got what you wanted by way of the compensation for the failed visit.

Even if OFCOM  decides in your favour , will they pay you the compensation ? I don't think  so , At least that's what they did with me a year or so ago , No apology no compensation which they were told to pay ... 

@VMbbsucks wrote:

Even if OFCOM  decides in your favour , will they pay you the compensation ? I don't think  so , At least that's what they did with me a year or so ago , No apology no compensation which they were told to pay ... 

Failure to abide by an adjudication issued by CISAS or Ombudsman Services is a clear and direct breach of Ofcom's General Conditions of Entitlement, specifically condition C4.3b. Whilst Ofcom are pretty limp wristed in these matters, a breach of the Conditions is enforceable under the terms of the Telecommunications Act 2003, which give Ofcom draconian powers they really ought to make more use of.  In theory, VM could be stopped from trading for this breach, although the likelihood of that is about the same chance of finding an honest, competent politician.

You should contact CISAS and see if they can help (I suspect not as VM have probably ended their membership of the CISAS scheme).  if they can't, then raise a new complaint with VM demanding they pay up, and add a demand for another £70 for their failure to respect an adjudication.  If VM still won't pay up including the extra compo, then contact Ombudsman Services see what they have to say.  Amusingly, if Ombudsman Services will take this new complaint, then VM will have been charged circa £400 by CISAS, then a similar amount by Ombudsman Services, probably dwarfing the amount at stake!

If VM still won't pony up, and Ombudsman Services won't take the case, then consider using the online small claims process.  As you say you've had the matter considered by a regulator-approved adjudication service and they've found in your favour, then this really ought to be a simple open-and-shut case.

Good Afternoon @VMbbsucks, thanks for your post and I'm sorry to hear the awarding of the compensation has not arrived to you.

If you're able to contact CISAS, they will have a designated member of their team that will liaise with Virgin Media on your behalf to ensure the final adjudication is met and compensation is awarded to you correctly.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn