cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 Box Freezing on Playback & BAD REQUEST error message

JesterCoolCat
Joining in

I am, currently, having two problems with Virgin Media.

1) Recordings are freezing, pixelated and jumping/skipping on playback, making it impossible to watch anything recorded.  This is also happening when playing back paused live TV, although live TV itself is fine. I have tried rebooting the V6 box, rebooting the router, disconnecting and reconnecting  the cables.

Until recently we have managed to work around this problem, but getting increasingly annoyed that we cannot record anything, especially considering the amount we pay each month for a service we are not getting.  I thought I’d log into my Virgin Media account and see about changing/upgrading my package and get the V6 box replaced at the same time.  Which brings me nicely onto the second problem I am having with Virgin Media.

2) I cannot log into my Virgin Media account, I keep getting the error message, “Bad Request. Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand. Size of a request header field exceeds server limit”.  This is happening on every page of the Virgin Media website. Strangely it’s not happening on any other website.

I cannot even browse the Virgin Media website as I get the same error messages.

This has been ongoing for several weeks now.  I notice that it seems to be a common problem with lots of Virgin Media customers.  I have tried clearing cookies, but still get the same message.  I have tried using a different browser and get a different message, “Somethings gone wrong, we’re sorry this isn’t the page you wanted. It’s something at our end and we are working as fast as we can to fix it”. Well, that work is not happing very fast, as this has also been ongoing for several weeks.  This message is on every page of the Virgin Media website using this browser, but doesn’t happen on any other website on the internet.  This is also happening in private mode and on other laptops, both Mac and Windows.

As I am currently out of contract, it may be time to browse other providers whose websites do work.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi JesterCoolCat, 

Thank you for joining me on private message. 

I am very happy to hear our technician has been able to repair the issue. 

If you require any further assistance in the future, please get in touch 🙂 

Thank, 

Nat

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @JesterCoolCat 

Your hard drive is failing as confirmed by you having the same issues when pausing and playing back live TV and seeing the same symptons.

The box will need replacing.

As to the errors on the VM website pages, you've done the right thing again by trying different browsers, clearing cookies/cache and trying different browsers.

VM and Chronium based browsers don't appear to play nicely together. 

I kept getting the same issues on my last computer, mainly using Chrome but was able to browse the pages in incognito mode. Uninstalling and reinstalling Chome, and performing Reset and data cleanup only temporarily halted these errors. 

I did find the following worked after uninstalling Chrome so it may be useful to try yourself

Go into C:\Users\YOUNAME\AppData\Local\Google\

C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\   and delete that "Chrome" folder (for both locations, if there is a Chrome folder)

Strangely I now have a new AIO computer and have had no issues using any of the browsers on the new device.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @JesterCoolCat,

Welcome to our Community Forums! Thank you for your first post and I'm sorry to hear that you're having some issues with your TV picture as well as some issues with accessing your online account. I can understand how frustrating this can be.

Can you please take a look at our TV Faults page to see if this can help with your ongoing TV picture issue? Is this issue only impacting your On Demand services, or does this impact Live TV as well?

I have checked our systems and there are no local outages impacting your services at the moment. 

Have you been able to follow @newapollo 's advice about your Chrome web browser? Are you able to sign into your online account via the Virgin Media App? Is it just this browser that's having issues?

Please let us know so we can help further.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Pauline_Z

Thank you for your reply.  I cannot look at the TV Faults page, I get the same error Bad Request.

Looking through the recordings, they are all ok up until 27/8/22, most recordings from 28/8/22 are having the freezing, skipping, pixelated problem, it’s on all recorded programmes across most channels. The TV channels play fine, it’s just recordings that are affected, including paused then played live TV.

Strangely enough the latest bill has just hit my inbox.  Clicking on the link to see my bill works fine, but clink the link that says see your upgrades and offers gives me the ‘bad request’ error, in fact click any link from the bill gives me ‘bad request’.

I do not have the virgin media app, I don’t have internet on my phone, all internet tasks are performed on my MacBook or iPad and they both having the same problem.  I have also tried to browse the virgin media website on my husbands windows laptop.  I have tried on several web browsers, safari, chrome, Firefox all with the same problem.

Thank you for your reply.

I mainly use safari on MacBook or iPad, I use chrome as a back up as not everything works on safari. I get the 'bad request' error on safari, on chrome I get “Somethings gone wrong, we’re sorry this isn’t the page you wanted. It’s something at our end and we are working as fast as we can to fix it”, on every page. Kind of a variation on a theme error! Again, I get the 'bad request' error on Firefox on my husbands windows laptop, as Firefox won't run on my MacBook.

It's very frustrating!

Hi JesterCoolCat, 

Thank you for your reply. 

We are aware of an issue with some of our web pages and our team are currently working to get this resolved. 

Due to the issues you are facing, we would like to take a look a things from our side so I am going to pop you over a private message to confirm a few details. 

This will be available via the purple envelope on the top right of this page. 

Speak soon, 

Nat

JesterCoolCat
Joining in

Message for Virgin Media Team

I have had a text message, on Wednesday 12th October, stating the engineer appointment is booked for the 17th October and if I am not in then a £25 charge will be added to my account.

I had already advised Natalie that I would not be available on 17th October, but would be in on 24th and was advised that the engineer was booked for the 24th. 

Please can you make sure that it isn't booked for 17th and is indeed booked for the 24th as advised. I do not want a £25 charge.

I have private messaged this to Natalie on Thursday 13th October, but had no response.

Many thanks

Hi JesterCoolCat,

Thanks for posting. 

I have responded to your private message now. 

Thanks, 

Nat

Hi JesterCoolCat, 

Thank you for joining me on private message. 

I am very happy to hear our technician has been able to repair the issue. 

If you require any further assistance in the future, please get in touch 🙂 

Thank, 

Nat

Thank you for your help. It only took the engineer a few minutes to sort the problem out. I'm hoping it stays this way.

Regards

Vicki