cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Username already taken

Anotheruser1
Tuning in

This problem is getting really frustrating now. 

Basically I've held a VM account in the past and now I've placed another order for broadband.

I've completed the order with my normal email address and on this address I received the contract, order confirmation and all other relevant emails.

A few days ago I received a link to register for a VM account. When trying to register, I am asked for surname account number and area ref. I input all of these and my main email pops up as a pre-selected username suggestion. I want to have this email as the username however when I try to register it says :

Sorry, this username is not available. Please enter another username and try again.

I want someone to update my old details with the new ones or at least just remove the old account entirely. I want to use this email as the username. I do not want to use any other email addresses as that will confuse things tenfold.

I've been on the phone with VM support for the third time now and so far no solutions. I've spoken to General Queries, Technical and Moves&Transfers. 

Please help, it should really not be this complicated...

46 REPLIES 46

Hello, I am having the same issue, how do I get some assistance with this ?

Thanks. 

Hello geoffmcguire

Sorry to hear you are experiencing the same issue
I am more than happy to take a look at this for you 
I will need to send you a private message to pass security 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great 
Regards     
Gareth_L

Andymac2k8
Joining in

Hi, I am having the same issue. Can someone help me out freeup my previous username?

Thanks. 

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good morning @Andymac2k8 

Welcome back to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

I will pop you over a PM so that we can get some account information. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

I'm also having the same issue. I'd been a customer until Dec 2020 when I moved house and faced some issues with convincing VM that they could service my new neighbourhood. Fortunately, I finally got it sorted after my neighbour had an engineer out to look at the cable box that was common between our 2 houses.

This seems to be a recurring problem. In my case, you literally have a case where you can see the name, email address, and new street address from my old account match the name, email address and street address on the new account but yet they can't be automatically linked?

Anonymous
Not applicable
if your old account is still active you need VM to do a move and transfer. But if its closed as it should have 90 days after you left you can't register the email address again

Hi adacey, 

If you've held an account with us previously the E-Mail address you used to set up the self-care account will always be connected to that account

This can be moved over but this would not be the address you use to log into the account, and it would also remove any new E-Mail addresses you've set up with us

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

I’m not asking to keep a Virgin email address, I’m asking to use my Gmail address as my sign in for self care. My old account still lets me in so I can’t use that for my new account. I’m asking for that to be switched over.

Hi adacey, 

Thanks for sticking with us on this one and for explaining things further. 

In order to use the third party email address, you would need to remove it from your previous account. If you are still able to sign in then you can update this yourself. Just sign in as normal, go to my profile and then select a new email address. (You can revert it back to the original VM email address if you like. Save the changes. 

Once that is done, you may need to wait around 24 hours however you should then be able to update your new VM account with the third party email address. 

Let us know how you get on. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Bennettkatie
Joining in

I am having this same issue. 
Except that I have only just joined virgin. 
I was given an account number which I signed into. 
The install apparently hit lots of problems so they closed the account (without notifying me!)

The install was then completed and I was given a new account number, however now when I try to sign in on the new account I can’t as it associates my email with the ‘old’ account  

Just spent 45 mins on the phone and they just couldn’t understand the problem??

Please help!