cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming switch to DIgital Voice & Landline

MartJ
Rising star

With the migration away from PSTN to Digital Voice will VirginMedia allow the landline to be dropped from the package without any subsequent increase in cost for the customer. It does seem unfair to force customers to continue with a landline they no longer use in order to keep costs down. Most people call us on out mobiles and most calls are made on said mobiles, the vast majority landline calls we get are from scammers and they don’t get through due to Call Guardian intervention. 

Martin
9 REPLIES 9

Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi MartJ,

Thank you for your post. 

We already have packages in place that are Tv & Broadband Only. 

^Martin

So if I call VM to remove my landline from package I will see a fall in cost equal to my Landline rental? 

Martin

If you contact into the Retention's team they can certainly look at available Tv & Broadband Only packages for you and advise what price the packages are.

^Martin

It’s not a hard question, would dropping my landline reduce the cost of my existing package when it comes to end of my current contract. A yes or no is all I am asking

Martin

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@MartJ wrote:

It’s not a hard question, would dropping my landline reduce the cost of my existing package when it comes to end of my current contract. A yes or no is all I am asking

Past history on previous topics like this has been that the TV/broadband combo is sometimes offered (usually hidden away at the bottom of a web page) but it is usually price so disadvantageously compared to a phone/TV/broadband package that no one would consider it.

https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/broadband-and-tv

That said, some past topics from existing customers have shown that they managed to renegotiate a bespoke package at an acceptable price.

Unfortunately the outcome depends on the lottery of VM's system in who you talk on on any given day and what permissions/authority they have to negotiate with you.

In my own case, I wanted to remove phone and have BB only but got nowhere on the phone to VM with this. As a result am now a customer of BT with BB only FTTP.

If you are looking for BB only, do have a look around at other providers whilst also talking to VM. You would get new customer pricing with a new provider if VM can't/won't come up with a suitable package for you.

While I do appreciate you would like a Yes or No answer, it isn't that simple. If you currently have a discount on the account that is only available because you have a Landline and you then remove the landline. This would make the discount void and would be removed, meaning that the price would increase. 

The best way to check for prices would be to speak directly with the Retention's team via 150/0345 454 1111 so they can view what bundles are available to offer and their prices. 

^Martin

I asked Retentions the question a few years ago, a contract without landline was more expensive than with, I doubt much has changed. I think with the DV migration this question will be asked a lot as I don’t and probably many others don’t want to move phone away from current location, in my case the hall, into the living room where the router is situated. 

Martin

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@MartJ wrote:

I asked Retentions the question a few years ago, a contract without landline was more expensive than with, I doubt much has changed. I think with the DV migration this question will be asked a lot as I don’t and probably many others don’t want to move phone away from current location, in my case the hall, into the living room where the router is situated. 

If the matter of phone extension sockets is part of the equation/consideration, then I posted this

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Upcoming-fibrephone-switchover-sounds-impossible/m-p...

yesterday which may help/inform on options. VM's position on this subject keeps changing regularly.

@goslow wrote:

@MartJ wrote:

If the matter of phone extension sockets is part of the equation/consideration, then I posted this

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Upcoming-fibrephone-switchover-sounds-impossible/m-p...

yesterday which may help/inform on options. VM's position on this subject keeps changing regularly.

It does seem to me that with the responses so far that VM Seem to pushing the response towards Retentions rather than dealing with the issue this migration has raised. 

Our phone line comes from the same box as the broadband/tv, as this is a forced changed on customers the suppliers should be providing solutions to these issues, not making life more difficult for their customers. 

Martin