cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to cancel/close my Vigin my account

tahminaajmal
Tuning in

Hi, I was on virgin contract for £27.99/m that ended on 22nd June, since then I am trying to close my account, but it is still active, and I keep getting extravagant bills of £54.28/m.

I tried to contact Virgin Media Team for quite sometime and after spending hours online and being passed from one team to another, finally on the 21st June, I managed to speak to an agent called Adam and I asked him to end my contract and he offered me a deal of £21/m and also gave me his personal mobile number for future. He assured me that each time my contract is about to expire, I need to just ring him.

Few hours later, I received pre-contract documents that was for around £31/m  - there was no mention of any action for me, and there was no change on my account which was still showing £54.28. As this amount was different to what Adam has promised so I rang him immediately, Adam said he will take off the phone line rental so my bill would be £21/m. That didn’t seem right, but I didn’t have any other option. I received the bill for £54.28 and this was deducted from my account by direct debit on 9th July. So, I rang Adam again, he immediately responded with a text asking my identity. So, I explained this to him, and he replied with a text message telling me that £21 contract would start from next month and my account would be adjusted to account for this extra payment, he assured me, I will not need to pay anything next month and he will look into my account. Well, still nothing happened. 

On 22nd July, I received the next bill again for £54.28, and I immediately rang Adam - there was no response this time. I then send him a text message, asking him to close my account. There was no response

Then on 26th July, I lodged a complaint with Virgin Media(VM), informing them about everything. They could confirm that I have spoken to agent Adam but nothing more - no other support or solution was offered. Their advice was to contact virgin media (again!) - can I trust another agent? I have since, spoken with a couple of other agents but each of them is still trying to get me into a new contract. When I mention, I need to leave -they respond that will be another team. This process of ringing virgin media is very tiring and there is no other way of contacting VM.

Finally, I started a new contract with Sky and stopped using Virgin services from 15th August and cancelled the VM direct debit. But I am still getting overdue bills - although I have stopped using their services.

During this period, I have been so stressed and now mounting virgin bills make me feel very harassed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi there @tahminaajmal, welcome to our forum and thanks for your post.

I'm sorry to see that you have been having issues with trying to cancel your account after the package being incorrect. I will be happy to have a look at this further for you.

To do this I am going to send you a PM to confirm your details.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

Aaron2
Well-informed

Call 0345 454 1111 then options 1,1,4,5 and it'll take you to Retentions, you can explain the situation to them and they should be able to try resolve it and either cancel or actually find a deal for you.

** I work for VirginMedia but all opinions posted here are my own.

Hi, Thanks, I have tried ringing several times and chosen the option to close/cancel my account but still it is a retention team member that I speak with (after listening to music for 30 minutes), after explaining the story they say OK for closing your account you will need to speak to another team. This is another wait and the line usually disconnects in the meantime. I got through once and spoke with Adam mentioned in my  post below.

Regards

Tahmina

@tahminaajmal wrote:

Hi, Thanks, I have tried ringing several times and chosen the option to close/cancel my account but still it is a retention team member that I speak with (after listening to music for 30 minutes), after explaining the story they say OK for closing your account you will need to speak to another team. This is another wait and the line usually disconnects in the meantime. I got through once and spoke with Adam mentioned in my  post below.

Regards

Tahmina

VM's failings in customer service are not replicated when it comes to debt recovery, at which they seem very efficient and persistent.

In plenty of past topics on here, where VM thinks it is still owed money, former customers' details have been referred on to the credit reference agencies and even debt collectors causing those customers significant problems down the line in financial matters.

I don't think VM will allow you to close an account with monies still owing on it. There is a formal process to go through to close an account which involves giving VM 30 days' notice to leave. During that time they bill you as normal so they expect the DD to still be in place. At they end of the 30 days they issue you with a final bill for either a credit or debit on the account. You pay that off for a final debit or VM send you a cheque if you are in credit.

(The involvement of 'Adam' in your current predicament is not insignificant and should be factored in when you discuss this with VM to try to resolve the situation.)

I think you will need the VM forum team to look at your account and advise what its current status is. They will do that via PM and they should reply here within a few days.

Hi, many thanks for your response. The problem that I had is that no- one in VM that I have spoken to is ready to accept my notice 😞 

@tahminaajmal wrote:

Hi, many thanks for your response. The problem that I had is that no- one in VM that I have spoken to is ready to accept my notice 😞 

It is a common problem that is regularly reported on here. So much so that many are driven to write in using snail mail and a recorded delivery service for proof of delivery to the Sunderland address here

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/cancel-virgin-media

I think you need the VM forum team to advise you of the status of your account though and the work out the best/next course of action to allow you to leave VM without damaging your credit history. Someone from the VM forum team should reply here within a few days to advise.

Hi there @tahminaajmal, welcome to our forum and thanks for your post.

I'm sorry to see that you have been having issues with trying to cancel your account after the package being incorrect. I will be happy to have a look at this further for you.

To do this I am going to send you a PM to confirm your details.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Hi Nathan,

Thanks for your prompt response. However, it appears that you have gone quite after confirming my account details. I hope you are not another Adam. My account is spooky!

Here are facts again:
My contract was ending on 22nd June, and I contacted VM before this, first on 17th June (but couldn’t get through) and then on 21st June (nearly all day wasted). On 21st June, after various attempts (10.42 and then 15.48) and long waits, I managed to speak to Adam and I expresed my desire to leave VM, but he offered a deal (which was bogus). I am sure you can access the recording of my conversation with VM agents on 21st June at 15.48 to confirm this. In addition, I also started chat messages with bot and then with a couple of VM agents. These are recorded in WhatsApp and in each message, I have expressed the desire to leave VM and requested that my account be closed.
But I understand that I need to give one months’ notice so it should be till 22nd July and I have already paid high cost of £54 for that. However, after this there is no reason to continue to charge me this high cost because I never agreed to. So, it is completely wrong to keep sending me harassing emails and threatening to pass my details to debt recovery etc. Finally, I have stopped using VM wef 15th August (although till this time, I was continuously in discussion with VM complaints team ref: C-260722423) and spoken to a couple of other agents but all in retain team. Finally, I stopped my DD, with the cost of living already so high and we all are struggling over that I don’t want internet services which cost me £54/m - I am happy to live without it and focus on the essentials. According to my account, my services are suspended but my bill still keeps on piling up (and so is my blood pressure)
Please close my account and I am happy to collect a suitable bill till 15th August but if you can waive this against all the inconvenience than you will find a happy customer.

Regards

Tahmina

Indeed that seems a good strategy. However, I have WhatsApp messages as a proof, but who is asking the proof??

Thanks Nathan for solving the issue.

Regards

Tahmina