Menu
boggler
Tuning in
Message 1 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Unable to Return Broadband Router

Hello, 

For obvious reasons, we left Virgin Media recently, but as a final kick in the teeth, they're threatening to charge us for not returning our broadband router. We have asked four times for the packaging to be sent out, and each time we're told "don't be downhearted," and given assurance that the packaging will turn up. But it hasn't. If you're reading this and have ever had the misfortune to have had to speak to Virgin customer service, you'll recognise the pattern. 

Is there anything I can do? 

If I throw the router into the ocean, and it turns up on Necker Island, does that count as having returned it? 

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable to Return Broadband Router

@boggler wrote:

Is there anything I can do?

Speak with Citizens Advice (and with Trading Standard if so advised) or wait for the forum team to reach your post which I have flagged to them (@ModTeam).

0 Kudos
boggler
Tuning in
Message 3 of 30
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hey thanks for your response, I suppose I could go down the Citizens Advice/Trading Standards route, how depressing to have to do that though. 

If anyone unfortunate enough to work for Virgin Media is reading this, could I offer some advice of my own? If you feel that you have the authority to charge £40 for the non-return of a router, perhaps you could consider reconfiguring whatever systems you use so that people can do that. Like, if you say you're going to send packaging to people, then you actually send it to them. In fact, having morbidly spent some time reading posts on this forum, perhaps a broader change in policy might be necessary? Like, what about, if you have as an overarching principle that if you say you're going to do something, you actually do it? "We'll install your broadband on this date," and then it actually happens! Would really help your woeful customer service reputation. 

Anyway, I'll update this thread if anything happens. I hope to reach a stage where, should people mention Virgin to me, I'll be like, "Never heard of them, I don't know what you're talking about? It's a company named after people who have never had intercourse? No I don't remember the "Pammy" cola bottles, or the hot air balloon guy, or Necker Island. The east coast mainline has always been in public ownership, I've never heard Mike Oldfield's 1978 album 'Incantations' - why would I have?" That's something to look forward to. 

Forum Team (Retired) Kaz_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Hi boggler

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

I am sorry to hear that the packaging has not been sent to you yet 😞

I appreciate this has not been the best experience for you and I would like to see what I can do to support.

If you cans end me a PM with the following information I can flag this back to the head of the recovery team for you to get the charges revoked and the packaging resent. Alternatively we can also request an email to be sent with the label on this so if you prefer you can parcel the package yourself and stick the label on if you can print this out.

Pop me a PM with:

• Your name
  • The full address
  • Confirm if you are the account holder.
  • A forwarding address for delivery if this is needed
  • Your preferred email if you want us to email the label.

To PM* me, simply:

• Click on my forum PM link Karen_A

Many thanks

* For other forum users reading this, please only PM me if I have asked you to first.

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Hi boggler

Thanks for your PM over the weekend.

I've popped this over to the head of the returns team for them to assess this and get an email label sent as well as removing the charge for you. Once I have confirmation that has been done I'll pop back and let you know.

Kindest regards.

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Hi boggler

Thanks for allowing me the time to look at sorting this for you.

The head of the equipment returns team has just got back to me and she has said:

The charge cancelled and pre paid label  has been emailed to customer.

keep an eye on your spam and trash folders for the email.

Let me know when this arrives 🙂

Forum Team

0 Kudos
boggler
Tuning in
Message 7 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Hey thanks, I received the email. Now I just need to find a thin black bag that I can put the router in before dropping it heavily into the post box. 

In case you missed it, I suggested upthread that Virgin Media adopts a policy of doing something when they say they're going to - any word on how that's going? Now that I've got the privilege of having the ear of the head of equipment returns, I'd love* to hear what they have to say about it.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 30
Flag for a moderator

I've passed this on too for you already before you even asked.

It's what we do!

😄

Forum Team

0 Kudos
boggler
Tuning in
Message 9 of 30
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If it was, then I wouldn't ever have to have created this thread, but please keep me updated on any progress.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 10 of 30
Flag for a moderator

By 'we' I meant the forum team boggler.

I can't speak for other departments sadly, but I know my team 🙂

Many thanks

Forum Team

0 Kudos