cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ultimate Oomph-Lied to by a 'Bot'?

Kanga72
Tuning in

Rant alert!

I have been a VM customer for around 15yrs. However, with the rising prices and a very old and temperamental box I phoned up to see if I could get a better deal.

I had seen the Ultimate Oomph offer and understood that it was only for new customers. But it had everything that I wanted/needed.

25th June - Told that no, I couldn't have that package. I wasn't a new customer blah, blah and due to a rather patronising tone of the lady on the phone, I told them to cancel my contract.

Phoned BT and signed up with them with a slimmed down package that did include the sports channels for £25 cheaper.

Phone call from VM confirming that I still wanted to leave. Yep, I did.

28th June I got a call from a very nice man from retentions who said that he didn't understand why i had been told this and yes, I could have the Ultimate Oomph bundle. New 360 box, mini box, voice activated remote, sim card, Fibre 600, sports and movies, the whole shebang!

Fantastic! I was sent the sim card. We had the extra channels, but no 360 box, no mini box, nothing.

8th/9th July - Back on the phone I was told that they will send a V6 box out and I will get it on Tuesday 13th. I enquired about the 360 box and was told that the V6 was the same as the 360. Ok, but will it have the voice activated remote? Yes, it will, I was told. That's ok then but what about the mini box? This is where I really started to wonder what I had got myself in to. 

According to the lady on the phone, I would get the V6 box on the Tuesday and then I would have to call them again and arrange for them to send the mini box. Really?? In what world does that make sense?

I asked what the £35 fee was for and was told that was an activation fee. Not for an engineer, as I am a bit of a technophobe and was told 'No, you'll have to plug it in yourself'

Sitting stewing later that evening i went on the Live Chat and 'spoke' to a bot. I asked again which box I would be getting? A V6. Would it have the voice activated remote?? Yes, it would.

Tuesday/ today a box arrives... I think it's a V6 box ( I wouldn't know one from another) but does it have a voice activated remote??? No, it doesn't!!! Not just lied to by a human but also by a blooming BOT!!!! 

Back on the phone... I can't even remember what was said to me because after being told that even though I had signed up for (and was paying for) Ultimate Oomph, as a previous customer, I  wasn't 'entitled' to a new box with a voice activated remote. And when asking why as part of the package says Fibre 600 was I only getting speeds of 175mbps, 141mbps and 112mbps? He said that as it is wireless then they don't guarantee any download speed. 

My mind is blown! Entitled?? Really?? I was asking for what I had been offered!

Cancelled! Too embarrassed to go back to BT despite them charging me £1.33 for the 2 days service they say I had? Let's see if Sky is any better.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Edit: @Kanga72  because I've moved your post to the account section. Also included a link to pictures of the boxes.

The package change is an entirely separate issue to any voluntary migration from TiVo/V6 > 360.

With that in mind, how many TiVo/V6 did you have before? You can check which box is which, here - the 360 & V6 are identical hardware, just different software.

Additional boxes on the TiVo platform are fully functional with hard drives. Multiroom on 360 are minis without HDD. This alone is an excellent reason to get any multi-room box installed as a V6 and then consider any voluntary migration afterwards, it'll only be a software download.

Broadband speeds are only guaranteed over hard-wired Ethernet devices. Wireless adds variables over which VM have no control.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Edit: @Kanga72  because I've moved your post to the account section. Also included a link to pictures of the boxes.

The package change is an entirely separate issue to any voluntary migration from TiVo/V6 > 360.

With that in mind, how many TiVo/V6 did you have before? You can check which box is which, here - the 360 & V6 are identical hardware, just different software.

Additional boxes on the TiVo platform are fully functional with hard drives. Multiroom on 360 are minis without HDD. This alone is an excellent reason to get any multi-room box installed as a V6 and then consider any voluntary migration afterwards, it'll only be a software download.

Broadband speeds are only guaranteed over hard-wired Ethernet devices. Wireless adds variables over which VM have no control.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Hi Japitts, thank you for your reply. Sorry if I posted my moaning in the wrong place.

I have one box. It looks like a v6 from the link you send. Have had it going on 8ish years I think. But it doesn't work very well. Very slow and clunky. To be honest I didn't care which box or remote  I was sent. It's that I was told 3 times about the remote. 

To  be told that I wasn't entitled hurt. I am the furthest from entitled you can get. To be told I'll be getting X and then getting Y is annoying. 

I'm not too sure what I would have done with a mini box as from reading this forum I'd need to wire it. Not just 'plug it in'. 

Our broadband is fine. But why shout about Fibre 600 and then say I have to be wired to something to get it. There's a big difference between 600 and 150

I just don't understand why loyalty counts for nothing with this company. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Others are more familiar with the broadband side, so I'm going to leave that.

Ref the 360 software, this has been done to death on other threads and I don't want to drag this one down, but please consider a migration to it because you want to. I only say this because it's a one-way trip and the functionality does differ between the TiVo platform (which powers the TiVo & V6) and 360. It's entirely separate from changing your package. V6 boxes aren't known for being slow or clunky, so yours may have a fault. We could help with that if necessary, but from my reading of your first post, I think you've probably already been migrated so this paragraph is potentially irrelevant.

All VM TV boxes need 2 connections to work: A physical co-ax cable carrying your live TV channels, and an internet connection for the OnDemand & streaming. A mulitroom box replicates your existing package on the second box, so has the same functionality but allows you to stream recordings between the boxes. One difference between TiVo/V6 & 360 is that a 360-multiroom box doesn't have a hard-drive so relies on the master box for recording.

As for the loyalty question, again - done to death and I'm not going there. The UO has a standard price of £139, you could probably get a small discount on that in exchange for an 18month contract.

Kanga72
Tuning in

Update of sorts...

Disconnection date scheduled for 12th April.

Phoned yesterday to check I wasn't going to be charged £35 for an activation fee.

Spoke to a lovely, lovely man called Kevin! Told him I didn't want to leave but wanted what I had been promised and was paying for. 

He put me through to a lady called Ann. Was on the phone for and hour and 40 minutes.

According to her I have been sent 2 boxes. I haven't!

And an engineer has been out to fit them for me. He hasn't!

She was unable to resolve it and said she would phone me back today at 1pm. She didn't!

Can someone please help? Times ticking and if I put in a complaint they can take 28 days. I really, really shouldn't be this hard.

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good afternoon @Kanga72 

Welcome to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

I am sorry to hear that you have had some issues with your contrct pricing. 

Did you have a new contract sent though to you when you re-shinged for a new deal? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Hi Zak,

Yes I did. It clearly stated everything as promised but it just hasn't happened. 

The rest has been a debacle. 

Not sure what to do. 

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for coming back to me. 

I am going to pop you over a PM so that I can get some account information and we can go from there. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Hi Zak, technobimbo here... 

Is this the pm that I send my details on?