cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

URGENT! New contract issued without consent following house move

Alex-vm
Joining in

Hi, 

I'm writing on behalf of my elderly Dad who is severely sight impaired. He is sitting beside me as I write this and has authorised me writing on his behalf. 

We phoned VM on 30/01/23 to arrange for our services to be transferred to our new address on 01/02/23. We spoke to a CS guy from Northern Ireland, who was very pleasant. During this phone call, we emphasised that we did not wish to change the terms of our contract, nor did we want to change our package / service in any way. The CS guy assured us that nothing would change - our contract terms and length would remain the same and that we could simply pack up our old equipment and plug it into the VM socket in the new house (the VM portal was already in the house).

We were slightly concerned when over the next day or so, we received emails making reference to "your new virgin media services" and the delivery of a ''QuickStart box', but assumed this was a glitch in VM's auto-generated email system and had faith that all would be fine as per the CS agent's assurance. We plugged in our OLD equipment (as per the CS instruction), but ran into a signal problem so had to phone CS again. This is when we discovered that VM had issued us a new account number, with a new 18 month minimum term! The signal problem was sorted quickly, but when we complained about the contract, this CS agent became quite snippy and dismissive. He finally said he would get his manager to review the transcript of the conversation with the NI guy (30/01/23), and his manager would phone us on 06/02/23. The manager never phoned. 

I've compared the original contract to the new one, our package hasn't changed - only the acc number and minimum contract length.

Original contract min term: 22/5/2022 - 21/11/2023 
UNAUTHORISED contract min term: 01/02/2023 - 31/7/2024 

We are due to move again in a couple of weeks (the house we moved into in Feb was only temporary), so we need to get this problem sorted out urgently as to not complicate things further when we move house again (we are already dreading that process based on this experience).

Dealing with this issue has been really stressful, especially for my dad due to his limited sight (reading text is a major issue). I have read through this forum thoroughly and understand that this issue has been encountered numerous times by other VM customers. 

Could an agent from here please get in touch today to reinstate the original length terms of our 22/5/2022 - 21/11/2023 contract. Could you also issue us with written confirmation via email, and ensure that the reinstated end date (21/11/23) is manually updated on the VM system.

Thank you.

1 REPLY 1

Nathan_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @Alex-vm 👋 Welcome to our forum and thanks for your post 😊

Sorry to see your dad's contract has been restarted after a house move, I can certainly understand the frustration with this 😔 I'll certainly be happy to take a look at this for you.

I'll send you a PM to confirm your details.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules