cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UHD channel availability & Ultimate Oomph package

Jocko
On our wavelength

Hi.

Not sure what board this should be in - couldn't see a good fit. Feel free to move.

Looking for a bit of clarity and advice if poss.

I'm on the Ultimate Oomph package. I received an email recently about price increases and was invited to call in if I preferred to cancel. So I did.

During the discussion, I mentioned one reason I didn't want to remain in contract (with or without the increase being waived) was that I had asked about UHD Sky sports/movie channels at the time the new contract was taken, and had been told these would be coming soon. Fair enough. But they never arrived and I was under the impression were still not available.

I was therefore surprised to be told that they are available, and have been for some time apparently, but only with a new contract and new product (Ultimate Volt?)! So, can I check please:

1) The person I spoke to was adamant both Sky sports and movies are available as UHD channels and confirmed same with a colleague. However, I can see many others on the forums asking and complaining about this, claiming that Sky movies is now UHD but not Sky Sports. Which is it?

2) I think most reasonable people asking about a feature while weighing up a contract, and being told it was coming soon, would infer it would be made available as and when that time arrived, and not require a new contract, especially if already on the 'top' package. What is the position here? The person I spoke to tried to explain to me I had 'misunderstood what was meant' but at best this is disingenuous.

Last thing. When I asked to cancel I was 'transferred'. This resulted in a wearily predictable automated 'system error' warning and being disconnected. I called back, went through all those menus, again, then spent 15 minutes listening to music, again, and gave up. Is there another way to complete the cancellation without having to go through this again? I can't face it.

Thanks for reading.

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Jocko wrote:

1) The person I spoke to was adamant both Sky sports and movies are available as UHD channels and confirmed same with a colleague. However, I can see many others on the forums asking and complaining about this, claiming that Sky movies is now UHD but not Sky Sports.

VM only have 2 broadcast UHD channels at this time - BT Sport Ultimate, and their in-house "Ultimate UHD channel".

You can have the "Sky Entertainment UHD" add-on which enables access to UHD OnDemand content, but this is not a broadcast channel.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Jocko wrote:

1) The person I spoke to was adamant both Sky sports and movies are available as UHD channels and confirmed same with a colleague. However, I can see many others on the forums asking and complaining about this, claiming that Sky movies is now UHD but not Sky Sports.

VM only have 2 broadcast UHD channels at this time - BT Sport Ultimate, and their in-house "Ultimate UHD channel".

You can have the "Sky Entertainment UHD" add-on which enables access to UHD OnDemand content, but this is not a broadcast channel.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

stoo13
On our wavelength

The person you spoke to was lying, probably to get a tick in their sales column and tie you into a new contract.

Sky Sports UHD channels are 100% not available on Virgin Media.

Hi @Jocko,

Welcome back to our community forums and thank you for your post.

Sorry to hear there has been some confusion on your package and UHD package availability. As mentioned by 

@japitts, we currently have BT Sport Ultimate and the Ultimate UHD channel. You may also find the following useful https://www.virginmedia.com/virgin-tv-edit/tips-and-tricks/watch-sky-box-sets-and-sky-cinema-in-uhd-....

Furthermore, if you wish to cancel services with us, cancellations can only be done by phone 0345 454 1111 or by post to Virgin Media, Sunderland, SR43 4AA.

Is there anything else you need help with? 

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Jocko
On our wavelength

Thanks @japitts - this is exactly what I had understood.

I challenged this repeatedly on the call, but the guy ('Craig') was so adamant and even went on hold to check with an 'expert' for a few minutes to confirm - enough for some doubt to creep in.

It's a pity, the service is otherwise fine. But from reading a bit more about this the UHD (and Sky Atlantic) availability seems to have been a bone of contention for years and always 'coming soon'.

Jocko
On our wavelength

Thanks @stoo13.

I would normally put it down to a mistake, but given that the guy explicitly went on hold to check, I can't rule out that it was deliberate. You live and learn eh?

Jocko
On our wavelength

Thanks for info.

I was able to cancel via phone this morning with minimum hassle.

I do wish given the number of disconnections on calls that the labyrinth of menus you have to negotiate could be bypassed. It really is a perfect storm of customer frustration to have to go through this stuff multiple times.

Thank you for the update and sorry to hear you had issues when trying to process the cancellation.

We will indeed take your feedback on board and pass it on to the relevant teams for improvement.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need any further help.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs