cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to close account as moved out! Help needed!!!

d4n13773
Joining in

Hi there, 

I've recently moved house and prior to moving - around November, contacted VM via online chat to enquire about moving broadband only to new address, but got nowhere with them as the bot couldn't seem to process that i didn't want an upgrade or to take TV services with me. I decided it would be easier to cancel and get internet elsewhere!

I moved in to new house on 23rd Dec and contacted them via their webchat to advise of cancellation and to ask about returning kit. I've learned today that this did not go through as I "failed to pass security" (No idea which bit but had spent more than 45 mins on the chat answering questions and waiting!)

I keep getting ongoing bills and threats to damage my credit rating - they tell me i've had services suspended, but i don't know as i don't live there and the kit has been unplugged since 23/12/2022

I've tried on 4 occasions to speak to them by phone, i sometimes pass security - but not always!

I've raised this as an online complaint and got a response telling me the complaint has been resolved (no other information and further bills received!) and also written to them at the Sunderland address to confirm that i wish to terminate my contract and raise a complaint, the letter was signed for on 31 january but am still getting "threatening" emails today.

Finally, today a staff member on the phone agreed that I could in fact cancel and because she could see that I'd contacted them about this in November, I was well out of contract, and said that no further charges would be payable - but that she just needed to "put me through to customer relations" to process this, promising "they won't need to take any more details from you as I'll put it all on your account notes". However - whoever she put me through to spent a further 10 minutes checking security and then told me she couldn't in fact help me and that i needed to speak to the "moving team". Unfortunately I wasn't able to hold again as had to deal with work matters and so had to give up.

I've tried calling back, but got through to "collections" who told me that they couldn't help me until i cleared the "outstanding amount" on my bill (this is for Jan/Feb and after I've moved out). I asked to speak to a manager as they insisted they could not do anything unless i paid. I was told "the manager is on another call, but they can call you back to avoid holding" of course no call back has been recieved.

So, what do I do now! Is there any way I can speak to a real person to cancel and get this bill written off? I've looked in to raising a complaint through the ombudsman but they can't do anything until its been 8 weeks or VM admit we're at deadlock. (& I don't want that, i literally just want to cancel the account)

Thanks for any human input!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey d4n13773, thank you for reaching out and a warm welcome to the community I am sorry to hear your cancellation wasn't put in correctly. 

However on the forums we don't deal with cancellations or house moves sorry, you would need to speak to the moving team on 0345 454 1111.

Without passing security we wouldn't be able to access anything on the account sorry, did the team not send you a reminder in the post? 

Normally what  would happen is you would speak the movers team they would put this request in you would send back all equipment and pay off your final bill.

Anything left as a refund would then be sent back to you via a cheque within 45 days. 

I can also see after this post you did speak the contact centre team, did they manage to help? Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey d4n13773, thank you for reaching out and a warm welcome to the community I am sorry to hear your cancellation wasn't put in correctly. 

However on the forums we don't deal with cancellations or house moves sorry, you would need to speak to the moving team on 0345 454 1111.

Without passing security we wouldn't be able to access anything on the account sorry, did the team not send you a reminder in the post? 

Normally what  would happen is you would speak the movers team they would put this request in you would send back all equipment and pay off your final bill.

Anything left as a refund would then be sent back to you via a cheque within 45 days. 

I can also see after this post you did speak the contact centre team, did they manage to help? Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Thank you, 

I haven't yet managed to sort this as far as I'm aware! (And I think I now have all the necessary security details, but can't seem to get through to the right team)

I've spoken to the contact team (on 4 occasions), and one lady agreed that I could leave after about 20mins of explaining and holding, but she then put me through to Customer relations - who wasted 10 more minutes rechecking security and putting me on hold then told me that they couldn't help, they did offer to put me through to movers team - but I couldn't hold any longer.

I called back as soon as I had time but on that occasion, the person I spoke to refused to help until I'd paid the Jan/Feb bill. I'm still waiting for the call back from her manager.

I do really appreciate your help, how do I get through to the right person on the phone - I think it's compounded by the fact the phone system recognises my phone number as having an overdue bill? I don't have hours to spend on the phone every day?

Thank you for reaching back out. 

If you have an opened complaint and waiting for a complaint back here you can track this here.

Did they give you a time frame when they would call you? 

We do have other ways of cancelling your account.

If you wish to give your 30 days’ notice you can do it  by just sending a text with a description of the cancellation to 07533 051809 this will go into a queue, or you can send a letter to Virgin Media, Sunderland, SR43 4AA. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?