cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to cancel at end of contract

PeterFlower
Tuning in

I want to disconnect from Virgin media because my contract has come to an end and I no longer need a connection. I tried phoning  3 times yesterday, each time it took around 45 minutes and I talked to Greg, Mohamed and Jay who said they couldn't arrange disconnection. They transfered me but after waiting on hold another 30 minutes the line rang then went dead.

I haven't got hours to wait listening to mindless hold music and adverts for virgin media. Is there any other way to get disconnected? I don't care when it is disconnected and I can return the kit whenever VM want.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You can write in to give your 30 days' notice to

Virgin Media, Sunderland, SR43 4AA

if you just want to leave without any further discussion/negotiation with VM.

Use a signed-for delivery service to get proof that the letter arrived on a specific date.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You can write in to give your 30 days' notice to

Virgin Media, Sunderland, SR43 4AA

if you just want to leave without any further discussion/negotiation with VM.

Use a signed-for delivery service to get proof that the letter arrived on a specific date.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey there @PeterFlower, thanks for reaching out to us.

I'm sorry to hear the struggle you've had trying to disconnect.
Please try out our messenger WhatsApp service on +447305 327 112, send them a message and they'll be able to disconnect your services.
Let us know how it goes, if you still need assistance, reply to us on here and we'll help.

Kind regards.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

After 5 hours of trying on whats app, I still haven't communicated with a human.

Yesterday I spent 3 hours on the phone and spoke to three humans - none of whom could 'process' my request.

I can't waste that amount of time. How long does it take to tell VM that I want to move and don't need their services any more?

I'll write a letter and cancel the direct debit. I tried to jump through thier hoops but I am now very unhappy.

@PeterFlower wrote:

After 5 hours of trying on whats app, I still haven't communicated with a human.

Yesterday I spent 3 hours on the phone and spoke to three humans - none of whom could 'process' my request.

I can't waste that amount of time. How long does it take to tell VM that I want to move and don't need their services any more?

I'll write a letter and cancel the direct debit. I tried to jump through thier hoops but I am now very unhappy.

Your frustration is understandable but the usual advice on here is not to cancel a DD with VM until all dealings on the account are done and your 'final bill' is paid off (or confirms you are due a credit refund). VM will continue to bill you as normal during the last 30 days.

There are a huge number of past topics on here where a cancelled DD has led to missed payments which VM has then simply referred on to debt collectors and credit reference agencies causing some big finance-related problems for the former-VM-customer later down the line.

Irritating though it is, send off the signed-for cancellation letter including all the necessary account info etc. etc. for them to identify you correctly. Once you have got the signed-for letter delivery receipt, post back on here and get the VM forum team to check and confirm the cancellation is underway.

My apologies that you've still not been able to give your 30 day disconnection notice yet @PeterFlower.

Once we have received your written request to Virgin Media, Sunderland, SR43 4AA, we'll arrange your disconnection for 30 days time. Please let us know if you are having any further issues or have any questions at all. We'll be here to help on the community forums if needed :). 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

@PeterFlower wrote:

While you are about writing the cancellation letter, you could also submit a short-form report to OFCOM about your experience of trying to leave VM.

https://ofcomforms.secure.force.com/formentry/SitesFormCCTMonitoring

This won't help you individually, nor open any kind of investigation for you, (so don't go into huge detail) but will contribute to a pool of information collected about VM's business practices.

Make reference to OFCOM's fairness commitments

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/media/media-releases/2019/broadband-and-phone-firms-put-...

and specifically points 5 and 6

5. Customers can sign up to, change and leave their services quickly and smoothly. Providers ensure that customers who are leaving do not face additional barriers or hassle compared to those who are signing up to new services;

6. Customers can be confident that fair treatment is a central part of their provider’s culture. Companies can demonstrate that they have the right procedures in place to ensure customers are treated well. They keep these effective and up-to-date.

Thanks for all of your help.

I have written to confirm the end of my contract. I hope this brings the whole sorry story to an end.

As a loyal customer of Virgin Media, and thier predecessors for 25 years I hoped for better treatment when I wanted to move.

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @PeterFlower,

Thanks for coming back to us with an update. I'm really sorry to hear that you had a poor experience when contacting us to cancel. We take all of our feedback into account, and I will ensure this is passed on so we can improve the service we provide in the future.

We wish you all the best with your new provider.

Regards,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

Sugggestion- online should provide better automated services.

The problems highlighted with contract termination could surely be easily solved if the web site account page had a section to terminate or change services and give 30 days notice-or is that to simple. They do offer a section to upgrade package, this should be used to change/terminate services

It seems that VM prefer to this by telephone which is almost impossible at times with long waits or dead connections.

To have to send a recorded letter simply to cancel services seems to be an old fashioned method.

Perhaps VM should make things easy for customers to make any changes, with such a poor customer service VM do not encourage customers to stay and that is a shame as the the product is good.

The VM community is the jewel  in the crown for providing help, but  VM should have a good 150 phone service also and enough staff to answer within a short time.

With the wide choice of broadband services and mobile 5g becoming available, VM need to look after their customers better to remain competitive and retain customers or even provide a reliable help phone line for customers.

How great it would be if you could change your package or terminate  "online" without having to phone sales every time, and this will become an increasing event with the high cost of living implications at present.

I note there have been may posts recently where customers find it almost impossible to cancel services without writing to sunderland, still in the dark ages.

I have noted the Sunderland address, in case I do at some stage make changes in the future.

VM poor customer services were highlighted on a TV news channel recently with many complaints of poor VM customer service reported by the public, so perhaps something does need improving or shaking up.