Menu
garywatson
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Transferred account

I moved into a new home and the current tenant asked to transfer the account because Virgin couldn't supply his new area.

01/08/2018 i received this welcome email below

Hello GARY,

Thanks for joining us! We've been busy rolling out our virtual red carpet for you and want to let you know about some of the great things waiting for you online.

If you haven't already explored My Virgin Media, have a look around! You can do all this and more:

• View and pay your bills or set up a Direct Debit
  • Get in-depth info about your account, including a summary of charges since your last bill
  • Sign into your Virgin Media Mail
  • Check out which services you've got and upgrade online whenever you like

Sound good? Just head over to My Virgin Media now.

Enjoy

The Virgin Media team

P.S. We don't pick up emails from this mailbox, so please don't reply to this email address. If you'd like to get in touch, you'll find all the details at virginmedia.com/contact instead. 

11/08/2018 I received this email because when i logged in they transferred the wrong package over and were rectifying there mistake because i phoned up and told them that is not what the transferred package should be and I recieved no contract so far.

Hi Gary,

Thanks for making those changes to your Virgin Media package. The changes made require you to sign a new contract, please take a moment to review and sign.
Quick recap of what you now enjoy: 
Your new package now includes: 
Offer Code - Full House TV (XL) - TiVo Monthly Fee - VIVID 200 Optical Fibre - Telephone Line Rental - Talk Weekends - Premium Rate Barring - Free Voicemail
We've removed: 
No services have been removed

Here's how your changes affect your next bill: 
Your next bill will be generated on 17th August 2018
Your next payment is due on 6th September 2018
Your new monthly bundle cost is: £55.13*. 
Your next bill will be £130.96* which includes £57.67 to cover your changes up until your next bill period. There is also a one-off charge of £18.16 for installation or activation.

Review and sign your contract 
Your contract contains full details of your new package, plus all the details of costs.
Click to review and sign your contract

Any questions along the way? Find the answers fast in My Virgin Media. You can also view your contract any time you like.

Kind regards,

The Virgin Media team
* Just to let you know, this cost doesn’t include any call or Pay per view costs. It doesn’t include any outstanding balance, payment handling or paper bill fees either. Just your basic cost.

Now i have highlight the link within that that says "review and sign contract" because this is the first i have seen of a contract at all. I did not get any contract prior to this by email or post.

15/01/08 The service was cut off because the account went over a credit limit of £130 - 4 days after receiving the contract that has not been filled out or accepted. I had paid the £28.96 or so that it said that the account was over to restore the services because customer care wasn't available as early as i was so i checked the "my account page" and seen that. 

I called that morning asking what was going on and was told i shouldn't have been billed because the first bill is in September as im literally a new customer, got an apology about waiting over 40 mins on the phone. I told them i wasn't happy about this at all and asked when could i back out of the contract if i decided not to keep the services and i was told i have up to the 24th of August to cancel the contract "Again one i haven't agreed to or signed yet".

21/08/2018 The service wasn't available for over 6 hours because of a fault in the area. 

23/08/2018 Today I called to cancel as im within the 14 days of the contract date which is below and which i was told i have up to 14 days (24th August 2018 this would be) by the virgin staff when i spoke to them about the mistake they made with the package.

Phoned 17:18pm 

Call time 18min and got hung up on rather than any one answer the phone

Phoned 18:01

Spoke to Rachell who told me carol would call back within 3 hours and that I couldn’t cancel the contract because it’s the order date not the contract start date which is the 10th of August

Which no correspondence what so ever states this information or has any member of staff told me this.

Told there is no 14 days period when a new contract is in place even though i am in fact a new customer obviously because ive never used them before and they sent out a contract for me to sign.

I was told on the phone by Carol who did ring me back in fairness within the hour that im not within the 14 days and i would have to pay a charge of £240 because im not a new customer????

How am i not a new customer when ive never dealt with Virgin before for anything??

Why wasn't the terms of a transfer explained to me by email from your staff and your staff tell me something completely different about my contract cancellation date? 

I have the contract attached with the contract date clearly stated and clearly stating it hasn't been 14 Days from that contract that was sent to me.

So id love to now legally why id incur any cancellation charge when im clearly within the 14 days period as a new customer of Virgin Media

eContract-(1)-1.jpg

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Transferred account

When did you use the services from?

0 Kudos
garywatson
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The service was in the house from the previous tenant over 13 months apparently and we moved in the start of this month.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

So have you signed a transfer of responsibilties form?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
garywatson
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I filled out an excel transfer form on the 29th July and sent it back to the tenant.

On the form it states  28.07.2018

• A new contract will be posted to the new account holder, this must be signed and returned within 15 days.

I didn't receive the contract to the house or email. The one i received was sent the 11th of August as below 

eContract-(1)-1.jpgI received the contract above on the 11th of August which is the first one ive seen 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

So basically you have been shafted by the previous occupant. Assuming they wanted to transfer the contract to you to avoid EDF's, a transfer of responsibilities pushes that to you. As far as VM are concerned, its a contract thats been in place since the original.

The signing and returning is a red herring,as it always is with service contracts. Use the service, accept the TOS. its the continuation of a contract under the previous TOS due to the transfer of responsibilities that is your issue here. Although to you, new paperwork=new contract , to VM its a continuation. You dig? Thats the legal function of a transfer of responsibilities.

ALL that doesnt help you one bit. Good news is a price rise is incomming, as soon as you recieve notification of that, you can cancel avoiding any EDF's

0 Kudos
garywatson
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It is a joke to say the least, the person i spoke to the 11th told me i had 14 days to pull out of the contract i didn't sign. I should of looked at all the reviews online about Virgin before touching them with a barge poll.

That's the thanks you get for trying to help people out, lesson learned.

I got an email a few minutes ago saying this but just noticed it says "service stop date" - Didnt receive a service stop date either lol its a sham of a company

Hello,

We're really sorry that you've decided to go and when it comes to your services, we understand that there are lots of companies to choose from. If things don't work out, you're always welcome to come straight back to us.

In the meantime, we'll do all we can to make sure your disconnection goes smoothly.

Your disconnection date

Your services will stop on the date you were advised.

Returning your equipment
It's quick and easy to return your Virgin Media bits and pieces - and it won't even cost you a penny. Once your services are disconnected, we'll send you a free postal returns kit.

Just pop the equipment into the packaging provided - including any cables, remotes and smartcards - and drop it off at your local Collect+ store. You can find your nearest store at collectplus.co.uk.

The reason we ask you to return your equipment is that, while you're with us, you rent your equipment, rather than own it. So if you don't return your equipment, within 30 days of your service disconnection, we'll have to charge you for it.

Your final bill

• If you pay by Direct Debit, this will be drawn after your disconnection on your normal date from the bank. The Direct Debit will be cancelled once you have paid your final bill in full
  • If you don't pay by Direct Debit, the quickest way to make a payment is with a credit or debit card - simply sign in to your account at virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia
  • If your account is in credit, this will appear on your final bill and we'll send a cheque to your registered address - this can take up to 45 days from your disconnection completing
  • If you've been charged an early disconnection fee, this will appear on your final bill.
  • If your next bill looks the same as usual, don't worry - your final bill from us will arrive after your disconnection date
  • As we bill in advance, your next bill will show charges billed beyond your disconnection date  

You can watch a short video on how your final bill will work here. It's a good idea to keep hold of this email until your final bill arrives to help with any questions.

Your telephone number

If you've arranged to take your telephone number to a new provider, they'll be able to answer any queries you have about the switch. 

Your email account
If you're disconnecting your Virgin Broadband, your email account with us will close 90 days after your disconnection date. When this happens, you won't be able to use that email address to sign into your My Virgin Media account and you won't be able to access your email folders anymore. If you've got anything important stored there, don't forget to save it on your computer !

Your Netflix account

If you're disconnecting your Virgin TV service and you subscribe to Netflix, you won't be able to watch it through your TiVo® box anymore. You'll still be able to watch it on your other devices and you'll continue to be charged by Netflix directly.

F-Secure SAFE - You'll continue to enjoy your F-Secure SAFE free trial and benefit from Virgin Media's discounted rate (£25 per year). If you're already paying for the service you'll continue to be billed directly through F-Secure.

If you have any other questions, just head to virginmedia.com/help

Kind regards,

The Virgin Media team

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Okay so that may well be your issue resolved. But if they want any EDF's. cancel the cancellation (if that makes sense) and wait for the price rise letter/email.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Kath_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi garywatson, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community. I'm sorry to hear that you've been having an issue since you joined. 

Your 14 days cooling off period starts as soon as your services are active on an account in your name. Sometimes this will differ to your contract date since this is usually sent out beforehand. 

If you have any further questions surrounding the disconnection, come back to us here and we'll do our best to help. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos