Menu
Highlighted
TrionReid
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Too difficult to contact customer support

I am a new customer, coming from BT. I joined just before using some shared parental leave for an extended holiday. I would like to...

1. Change my billing date so that my direct debt comes out on the 1st of the month

2. Enquire as to how to claim the compensation I was promised when my service was unable to start on the day promised. 

However, I have been away from the UK for the past 6 weeks so I don’t want to call, give the the cost of International calls and the difference in time zone. The live chat is either never an option for account management, or is never available.

How am I supposed to contact customer support otherwise? I have had some luck via twitter but they are unable to help with either 1. Or 2. Virgin Media is an ISP, yet they don’t any email-like option to contact customer service? What is going on?!?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Too difficult to contact customer support

Absolutely.

So you want to email from a random address , with the sending IP originating in a random foreign country. To change your billing details. And VM arent playing ball?

TBF that  doesn't sound like a BAD thing to me....

Have you tried texting?

Get in touch with us by text  on 07533051809

Or wait for staff on here to pick it up.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Morning TrionReid, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to our community forums Smiley Happy

Sorry you've not been able to contact us so far, happy to take a look at things so I've popped you over a private message to get a few more details.

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
TrionReid
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Wow, welcome to Virgin eh? Are all the customers over here so helpful? You have heard of a login and password? Why don't you check what Virgin allow you to do if you login to My Virgin Media - and believe that Internet thing allows you to login from anywhere in the world with all sorts of random, foreign IP addresses. Idiot. And they call you a superuser over here do they...?

If you look at Virgin competitors, you can email once logged in. Not just Virgin competitors, but most banks, deemed some of the most secure operators on the web, and many large online retailers, allow you to do exactly the same. Why not Virgin Media? Much more secure than your idea of texting, where originating phone numbers can be fairly easily spoofed and there is no way to securely identify the sender of the text.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Umm yes.

If your bank allows you to log in from anywhere in the world and doesn't use 2FA, change banks. And TBF banks are deemed the most secure operators on the web by no one with any kind of tech savvy.

If you contact VM by mobile text, and spoof the number, you wont be able to reply to pass DPA as you wont receive a response. Which is essentially 2FA.

Other than that a perfectly well reasoned personal attack. Well done you!

0 Kudos
TrionReid
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

So the private message sent to me from virgin - is that secure? More or less secure than online communications with my bank? Please enlighten me as clearly I am a non-tech savvy user who is parading around the internet in a completely insecure way all of the time. You miss the point, which doesn't surprise me given the your original reply was basically wrong. All kinds of internet operators allow online communications once you have reasonably convinced them of your ID. Even your seemingly beloved Virgin Media is doing it right now with me. I don't think it is unreasonable that this functionality is offered within My Virgin Media, which I am guessing Virgin Media considers secure.

Thanks for the welcome.

0 Kudos