Menu
JWilliams1
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Timer for internet access

I would like to be able to set up a timer for our internet so that it automatically goes off at midnight and on again at 6 am. This is to prevent my teenage son from playing online games throughout the night while we are sleeping. We do not have a Hub 3.0, which I understands allows users to program a timer for certain devices, our package is a VIVID 100 optical fiber only. Previously we were with BT and I could change settings for our internet access and turn the internet off and on with a timer. I can't find this option under my settings. Can anyone help with this?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Timer for internet access

What hub do you have?, could use You can setup timed access rules to limit access. A rule per device. Some things to keep in mind about the timed access option: A) if you want a block between say 9PM to 8AM you would need to setup 2 rules. From from 9AM to 11.59 and another from 00:00 to 8AM. And that would just be for one device. B) The range options are weekdays, weekends or select a specific date. You can check out those options by browsing to http://192.168.0.1 and signing into the hub -> Advanced Settings -> Security -> MAC Filtering. The Timed Access option is in there.

However, if you have quite a few children and they have many devices, the timed access option will be insufficient (due to the 7 rule amount limit) and you'd be looking at putting the Superhub into modem mode and getting yourself a 3rd party WiFi router to connect to it which will support more extensive parental controls and allow way more rules to be specified.
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Tudor
Superstar
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Don’t forget that some technically competent offspring have been know to pin-hole-reset the Hub back to default settings to get internet access.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal
0 Kudos
JWilliams1
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi thanks for your reply. I just checked and we do have a hub 3.0 but when I try to log in with the password on the sticker on the base of the hub itself, as it tells me to on the link you sent, it doesn't accept the password. I've never logged in here before so don't know how to proceed......Can you help?

0 Kudos
JWilliams1
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that tip. My offspring definitely more technically competent than me....in fact he could probably solve this issue for me if I asked him but that would defeat the purpose of the whole exercise.....and yes he probably will find a 'work around'....*sigh
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

your using the settings password, and there is ways around the time limits. on hub setup is bit different-> http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Switched-On-Families/Set-internet-time-limit-for-child/td-p/3138...
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
JWilliams1
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks so much for your help! I have now worked out how to log in to my Hub - never knew this option existed before! I have now set up the required timer for my son's internet access: this will change our life - and his!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Until they work around it.

Next step is timer plugs and checking they don’t get tampered with Smiley Tongue kill the net completely overnight with them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I was under the impression that timed access on the Hub 3 was broken, but worked on earlier hubs, did it get fixed?

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
pbarrett
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It seems it is still broken. I seem to be able to set the timers and macs, but sometimes the wrong macs show in the selected mac field, usually two rows out and then once set, they are not stored after a reboot, even when backed up and restored in a router configuration file, meaning you have to enter them all again, all twenty of them 😡 Great software......not.
0 Kudos