cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

They make it VERY hard to leave

Papabrown
Joining in

We have been long standing VM broadband customers and had an offer to extend our contract for a year at a new rate.  We agreed over the phone.

Having then thought about it and looked around the market place we wish to exercise our 14 day cooling off period and revert back to our rolling (long standing) deal, which we will then cancel.

However getting through to Virgin media to do this is frankly a joke.

We spent many pounds on your phone lines and got no where. We are now many hours into being passed around your webchat system.

The cynic in me wonders if you just make it so hard so people give up and stay with you.  We are approaching our 14 days cooling off period and I am not confident you will discuss this with us by then and we will be stuck in a contract we have tried FOR HOURS to cancel.

Any ideas anyone?????

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Papabrown,

I'm very sorry that this has been your experience so far when wanting to cancel your services with us.

I understand that you have tried getting in touch through our WhatsApp messaging service. As my colleague, advised, this service is not instant and our team will aim to get back to you as soon as possible. I do apologise about the delay.

You can also give us a call on 150/ 03454541111 between 8am-10am to avoid the long call queues. Our team will be more than happy to assist with your request. I am sorry that you'll be leaving us and I do apologise that you've had some issues getting through to discuss this. 

Keep us updated and let us know how you're getting on.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

robputt
On our wavelength
Send them a letter, recorded delivery, and keep the proof that you sent it with the intention of it arriving with them before the 14 days are up. Just don't use Royal Mail due to the strikes, next day DPD or something like this :-). Obviously keep a copy of said letter for your own reference. I think by doing this you have fully informed Virgin and have reasonable proof of your wishes to cancel in writing before the 14 days expires as described in their contract...
My Broadband Ping - Rob's VM Connection

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Papabrown, 

Thank you for reaching out to us here on the Community. 

I am very sorry to hear you longer wish to go ahead with the new deal and would like to arrange the cancellation. 

Unfortunately, package changes and cancellations are not something we process here on the Forum and would need to completed by our dedicated teams. 

I appreciate you have mentioned you have attempted to contact the team over the phone and via web chat so we would recommend sending them a message on WhatsApp. You can do this on 07305327112.

The WhatsApp messenger service is automated at first so please do only reply with the choices offered to ensure you are passed to the correct department as quickly as possible. 

Thank you, 

Nat

Spent nearly an hour on what's app yesterday. Got nowhere just the robot replies.

Ots 2022 and virgin are a tv/communications company and I am going to have to write to them. Unbelievable 

Anyone know the address?

It's a joke isn't it? 

In 2022 you have to write to them to leave.

I'm on day 3 of trying to cancel via the WhatsApp messaging option and losing the will to live!

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Our apologies for any delays on WhatsApp Papabrown. 

Information on how to cancel and the address to write to can be found here.

Thank you, 

Nat

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

I'd suggest you at least do an online complaint to Ofcom, because the experience you report is sadly common, and in breach of Ofcom rules.   

Its pathetic.

We have spent HOURS and DAYS  on this.

Be warned people, the cooling off period isnt quite what you expect - well it wasnt what I expected and it wassnt what they described.

We had a long standing VM contract, years old, which suddenly went up. Fine. 

Contacted them to see what we could do and they recommended a different package, mid price point between our old and new rates. Fine.

We went for that and reading the info that came it was for another 18 months tie in - which we didnt feel had been properly explained.  No problem we will just exercise the 14 day cooling off period for the new contract. (should be) fine.

They cant do that.  Sure we can get out of the new contract within the 14 days but we cant revert back to our existing deal.  All they can say is we have to have a new 18 month tie in contract - or leave VM.

So be warned.  the 14 day cooling off period will let you get out of the new deal but they have also (with ZERO ADVISE BEFOREHAND) closed our old contract.

As it happens Vodafone are now providing cable round here, far faster download (and FAR faster upload) and half the price (probably to get their ball rolling in this area but I can live with that)

I read a few negative comments about waiting hours for Vodafone support but I would take the several hours over the several DAYS that its taken me to understand the mess we are in with VM.

Bye VM, it was a pleasure but you soured it big time.

Sure we can get out of the new contract within the 14 days but we cant revert back to our existing deal.  All they can say is we have to have a new 18 month tie in contract - or leave VM.

Legally VM can't refuse to put you back on the previous deal - the 14 day cooling off period applies to the new contract, and if that is annulled then the original terms apply.  There's no question about that.  You could complain to VM, get fobbed off and take the matter to CISAS (who would uphold the complaint) but why keep fighting with a company that treats you like this, and regards established UK consumer law and regulation as entirely optional? 

Not so sure I'd recommend jumping to Vodafone given their equally awful customer service, but it's your call.  Can't you get a Zen Internet connection?  They're considerably better for customer service than any of the big players, although they will be more expensive than the heavily discounted deals from the big players.  

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Papabrown,

I'm very sorry that this has been your experience so far when wanting to cancel your services with us.

I understand that you have tried getting in touch through our WhatsApp messaging service. As my colleague, advised, this service is not instant and our team will aim to get back to you as soon as possible. I do apologise about the delay.

You can also give us a call on 150/ 03454541111 between 8am-10am to avoid the long call queues. Our team will be more than happy to assist with your request. I am sorry that you'll be leaving us and I do apologise that you've had some issues getting through to discuss this. 

Keep us updated and let us know how you're getting on.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs