Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The end is almost in sight......

After joining Virgin Media as a family referral in march this year, i can see the end of my contract in sight and as such am considering just biting the bullet and cancelling my service early. I know that this will incur cancellation charges for an early exit but can anyone give me an indication as to what i should expect?

My current contract is £75/month for all TV, Phone and 350mb Broadband and will be going up to £129/month after my contract ends, however this isn't the main reason for me looking to leave the service. 

Additionally in looking to move to alternate services I have found out that during the process of installing the virgin service the engineer has cut through my BT line meaning that i will have to pay out for a new connection regardless of whichever service I choose to move to.

To me this seems to be something that shouldnt be allowed. Does anyone have any experience with anything similar?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: The end is almost in sight......

Your early exit penalty is likely to be somewhere around £250, so why not wait out the contract?  You say that the price hike isn't the main reason for leaving, so (if you don't mind me asking) what is?  If you have speed, line quality or wifi problems then the combined resources of other customers and VM's friendly and helpful UK based forum staff can resolve the vast majority of issues.  And if your reason is the diabolical quality of telephone support, again, this is the place to come for support issues.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Andruser wrote:

Your early exit penalty is likely to be somewhere around £250, so why not wait out the contract?  You say that the price hike isn't the main reason for leaving, so (if you don't mind me asking) what is?  If you have speed, line quality or wifi problems then the combined resources of other customers and VM's friendly and helpful UK based forum staff can resolve the vast majority of issues.  And if your reason is the diabolical quality of telephone support, again, this is the place to come for support issues.

Thanks for the response Andruser.

The reason for looking to leave is a combination of multiple things really. You've partially hit it on the head with the absolutely abysmal "Customer Service", I do not understand how as a company they get away with it. I know all companies have bad periods, reports, difficulties but the only thing consistent aboutu VM is the shocking service that you receive upon first calling them for anything at all.

Broadband is a service that gets the heaviest use in our house hold and that, when connected, is fine. But there in lies the issue. The wifi outside of the same room is spotty at best and for the most part is just an endless series of "server timed out" notifications. I found out that a booster was available for my package and so i got VM to send me one of these. BRILLIANT for about 2 months then it completely stopped working. Tried multiple times to re-establish the connection and get it working again, Reset, Repair, Transfer Hub settings, etc. etc. etc. all to no avail so that went back which took 2 months because of the comments above. Additionally I'm unable to connect to my employers VPN for network access which then limits my ability to work from home when needed. VM are certain that this isn't down to their equipment, despite not having this issue with any of my previous providers and would only try to correct the issue if i granted them access to my work laptop, which isn't an option not to mention wouldn't solve anything (and they wanted to charge me for this as well!!)

In addition to the above I hate the TV system to the point where I don't believe it is worth what I am currently paying anyway.

As you have said I may as well see it out, but I've been wanting to leave since a month after the installation!

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to hear that collection of woes, although as somebody who hangs around these forums I'm unsurprised by any of them.  

Your post ought to be lasered onto the retinas of VM's clueless senior management (without anaesthetic, obviously). 

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Andruser wrote:

Sorry to hear that collection of woes, although as somebody who hangs around these forums I'm unsurprised by any of them.  

Your post ought to be lasered onto the retinas of VM's clueless senior management (without anaesthetic, obviously). 

Thanks, if only such a thing was possible then maybe something would improve. Especially when you consider that the broadband element of their service could be very good.

Outside of the issues i mentioned, do you have any view on the cutting of my existing BT line on install?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

do you have any view on the cutting of my existing BT line on install?

If it were accidental carelessness, then I would expect VM are liable for the costs of rectifying the damage because under the 2015 Consumer Rights Act, VM's service must be supplied "with reasonable skill and care".  It would seem to me that nobody on earth (other than VM's management) would agree that damaging a rival suppliers equipment was either skillful or careful.  If cutting the BT line were deliberate, then I'd guess that it would be criminal damage.

In terms of how to take this forward, if you want the BT line reinstating and you have to pay for that, then I'd recommend you use VM's Complaints Policy and request that they pay the full cost of the reinstatement.  I'd hope that VM would behave responsibly and pony up the cash, but if not and they refuse, then you can escalate to CISAS, the industry arbitration scheme, but make sure you read and follow the CISAS guidance for consumers.  

Use Kudos to say thanks