Menu
ricleeds
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Terrible Customer Service

It’s a saga. 

After intermittent but regular broadband problems I called to discuss leaving. I pay £111/month. I was offered a paltry tenner discount. I said no. I was offered a deal for 99 quid with faster broadband, extra box, sky cinema added and free SIM card with unlimited data, calls and texts. I said yes. We were told it would take 48 hrs to go through.

A few days later I got a bill for £111 and no service change. I called to complain and you were too busy to take calls. I called again the following night and was on the phone including holding for around an hour. I was told there was an IT problem causing a hold up - the broadband and mobile accounts could not be linked. Until that was solved the £99 offer could not be honoured. There was no indication of when it would be solved.

I asked them to make further enquiries, the supervisor said I should ring the next day. I said you call me and he said ok. The next day he did call and said he was putting me through to the relevant department. I was then on hold for 40 minutes - after you called me. 

Eventually a guy called a Keith answered who didn’t know who I was and even asked why I had been put through to him. I explained, he investigated and said the computer problem was still there but he could offer me a discount on my current service to pay £86 per month. I said I would think about. 

The next day I rang to find out whether the £86 offer was a discount on the current contract or necessitated a new 12 month contract. I was on hold for ages and spoke to a chap for a while. Then we were cut off. So I rang again and was put on hold again for ages. Eventually someone called Angel answered. 

At first she seemed to say the £99 offer had been revoked completely then explained it was still pending - waiting for computer issues to be resolved. I asked about the £86 offer and whether it was a new contract. She went to her manager to find out and then came back to say the £86 offer had been withdrawn but would I accept £96.

I obviously said no could I speak to the manager. She then came back and said £86 offer had been reinstated and it wasn’t a new contract. This morning I got an email to say thanks for changing your service your new amount will be £113 ie a £2 increase. 

I rang Virgin who eventually said there has been a delay getting system updated and I will receive an email shortly detailing the new amount. 

I simply don’t believe this will happen until it happens. I don’t see why I should have had to spend hours of my time trying to resolve this. Nor do I see why the original offer is being delayed by a computer glitch that a technology company can’t fix or find a way round manually. 

A similar thing happened re Virgin Mobile to us re a computer problem stopping us getting a new phone which is why we are no longer Virgin Mobile customers. 

This is all against the backdrop of regular broadband problems which have seen me with my third hub in 6 months and regular breaks in service - and I often work from home - which I was promised a while ago would take 2 days to fix and are still causing problems. It is all beyond pathetic.

When I rang yesterday re BB cost I originally asked to be put through to faults and was promptly cut off. So I rang again. Message said I would wait up to 5 minutes. I waited 20. Nothing dealing with Virgin is easy. Nothing.

And I’ve just looked at our account online and it says we started a new contract on 28 June 2019 - when I was explicitly told and made the operator confirm we weren’t starting a new contract. Tell me please how any of this is acceptable. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Terrible Customer Service

Hi ricleeds, thanks for getting in touch.

Sorry to hear about the problems you've had with your contract. I appreciate it will be frustrating spending so much time trying to get this resolved. When we make changes on our system it can sometimes take some time for the changes to reflect on your account.

I understand we advised that you will shortly receive an email confirming the correct amount. Have you received that yet?

Tom_F

0 Kudos
ricleeds
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Nope - All I have is an email telling me thank you for changing your services, that my new monthly amount is £113 - more than we were paying before I complained - and that the new contract start date is 28 June despite being assured there was no new contract.  And no mention of the original better offer with extra box etc. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Tom_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi ricleeds,

If you've been advised there is an issue with the original order that is preventing it from going ahead you wouldn't have received an email for the deal as it wouldn't have completed, which triggers the email.

Does the contract on your online account match the details that have been sent to you via email?

As you'd called regarding the cost what was the reason you requested to speak to faults? As it would be customer services who would provide assistance when disputing the price of a package you'd been set up on.

Thanks,

Tom_S

0 Kudos
ricleeds
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I asked to be put through to faults because as well as the contract issue there was also a broadband fault at that moment. A fault I had been promised a few days earlier would have been fixed. The ongoing fault that had promoted me to call in the first place as I felt £111 a month for a poor service was taking the Mick.  So I thought rather than go through security etc again I could shortcut things by getting put straight through. Sadly I was wrong. The system or the person was incapable.

Looking at it again the email doesn’t have a contract start date it gives the revised sum, the change date and says this is a promotional price.  The online account is identical in terms of amount, that it’s a promotion, when the promotion ends - apart from the new contract start date has been added to the online account.

Lots of things puzzle me. Why I am always on hold for so long, why the original offer is being stopped by a computer glitch - a similar glitch saw us ditch our Virgin mobile account because we were caught in the middle of a computer system problem - why the £86 offer was made, withdrawn and reinstated and why the only way I got any info on any of this was because I chased things. No-one rang me to tell me the original offer - which I was told would take 48 hours to go through - had hit the buffers, nor the £86 offer would be available as a replacement, nor it had been withdrawn, nor that we apparently have a new contract having been told we explicitly don’t.

Instead I have to spend literally hours on the phone or ages writing emails and messages. I have researched deals. I can sort out an acceptable alternative to all this for a much lower cost - not quite as good but it’ll do. My TV does a lot of things I used to use Virgin for. That and a Sky Sports mobile account plus Now TV for Sky Atlantic which you don’t offer will do. My wife would prefer it as the main tv won’t be clogged up by sport. That was one of the attractions of the £99 offer with the second box. I can sort broadband elsewhere with people with good customer service and a reliable signal.  

I like the convenience and speed of Virgin but I am right at the end of my patience. If the £86 offer doesn’t materialise I will cancel the contract within the 14 day cooling off period for this new contract. If indeed it is a new contract - even for £86 - I will cancel it anyway. That’s because of how this has been dealt with and because I am yet to be convinced that the broadband problems which started all this will be fixed as promised.  

The only new contract we will accept is the £99 offer which is stranded in some computer hell that an IT company can’t fix or override - or don’t want to because they don’t want to honour the offer.

Hopefully this can be resolved but there comes a time when enough is enough.

@Tom_S wrote:

Hi ricleeds,

If you've been advised there is an issue with the original order that is preventing it from going ahead you wouldn't have received an email for the deal as it wouldn't have completed, which triggers the email.

Does the contract on your online account match the details that have been sent to you via email?

As you'd called regarding the cost what was the reason you requested to speak to faults? As it would be customer services who would provide assistance when disputing the price of a package you'd been set up on.

Thanks,

Tom_S

start date has been added for 28 June 2019. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for that information. 

What I will do is private message to see if I can provide some more information on this. 

^Martin

0 Kudos