cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible Customer Service

Kevbaz
On our wavelength

Ok, so over the weekend whilst visiting my elderly parents they got onto the subject of Virgin and how their monthly bill was now £108! they have been Virgin customers for 20 odd years by their working out and their bill is out of control.

They claimed they were on packages that they never asked for but had no idea of how to get things changed.

I hopped onto a chat with one of your agents to explain everything and to get their costs down by reducing their packages and hoping for a deal, They were on 200mb BB, the top TV package inc Movies and one of the top phone packages.

Asked if there was a deal to be had and of course there were none available to them, I then asked for the movies to be removed (they claim they never added these themselves) and to drop to the basic evening and weekend phone package and reduce the 200mb bb to the 100mb. Agent came back with just a £10 reduction with keeping bb at 200mb and down £20 for going to 100mb!

I am pretty sure the movie package alone should be £20+ a month saving but the agent kept saying these were the only deals available. Reluctantly my parents accepted the reduction to £87 a month and as it was being confirmed the agent came back and said that they see we have an additional box (they had their details on screen this whole time!) and asked if we still needed it. Which they do (my dad is disabled so is often in his room a lot of the time) to which the agent said their monthly cost would be £97 a month!!! Very convenient..

How on earth can removing movies, reducing the phone and bb packages only provide a £10 saving? We are absolutely disgusted and the agent was no help at all.

If someone is able to help us at all that would be fantastic.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

DPA stands for Data Protection Act, and in this case it means that you'd known enough details to pass the relevant data security checks on the account.  Unless you have a power of attorney agreement, or are a named individual on the account, that should also mean that you have the account holder on the phone to confirm that you have authority to negotiate on their behalf.  Bear in mind that because of VM's woeful customer service, any call to change a package could be repeatedly passed round different teams, and each time you should have to go through the ID checks.

Before going any further, get yourself over to USwitch, and see what comparable packages are being offered by Sky and BT, and how much they are.  In negotiating a discount many people don't realise that customer loyalty counts for nothing, value for money counts for nothing, "fairness" counts for nothing, the deals VM offer to new customers count for nothing.  The only leverage a customer has is the threat of leaving + knowledge of better value equivalent deals on offer from competitors.

You need to move fast if any changes have already been made to the bundle or price, then the 14 day cooling off period has started.  Once outside that they're locked in for 18 months.  I'd recommend against either the online chat or the online upgrades - only the "customer retention" team can offer VM's best deals.  Having done your research at Uswitch (or any other price comparison website), phone up selecting options for cancelling the VM service, know before you start of the call what you want the price/bundle outcome to be, and know what you will settle for (have these two boundaries written down in front of you along with the table above).  You need to have these boundary values firmly fixed because you won't usually be able to negotiate a deal and leave it on the table whilst you consider it, that's not how the system works.  The agent you are dealing with will probably be paid a bonus if they can retain you, but won't be paid the bonus if you end the call with "I'd like to think about that".  Even if there's notes on the system, any subsequent agent will probably want to start the whole discussion from scratch.

Explain that the current package is still far too expensive despite the recent discussions, you're invoking your cooling off rights with a view to leaving VM, and you hope they can help because you're seriously considering the offer from Company Z, and that's only £Y a month, and would save you £XXX over 18 months.  See what they say and what discount they can offer.  Usually the first offer is far from the best, and it that applies then say "thanks but that's still not enough, it is nowhere near Company Z's price, starting from the price you just quoted, what does that become if I downgrade my package?"  Ignore any "throw ins" that you don't want such as (perhaps) a free SIM or a channel package you wouldn't have chosen. 

If you're going to accept the VM offer, this will be a new 18 month contract, get the agent to run through all important aspects including speed, any TV bundles (and channels important to you), any landline and landline add ons, so that this should be recorded on VM's systems in case there's any problem later on.  If the BT or Sky alternatives are adequate, and VM's best offer still above your minimum, be prepared to say "no" and walk away and cancel.  Given that it seems the 14 day cooling off period has started, you may need to cancel the changes under cooling off rights, but not cancel the service outright until the new service is installed in order to make sure they are not left without service.  Make it clear that's what you are doing to the agent if it comes to this.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You wont get a good deal unless you cancel and sound as if you are leaving, otherwise they will call your bluff

Anonymous
Not applicable

They will tell you "new customers only"....

20 years loyalty doesn't matter either; choose thinking of leaving us over the phone option 4 I think it is.

Tell them you are leaving and want a better deal.  Give 30 days notice if they won't budge.

You will get a call after about 10 days offering you something.

It sounds like they've recontracted you on standard pricing and if you aren't quick (14 days) they'll be stuck in an 18 month contract.

Standard pricing includes no bundle savings whatsoever. 

That's the only way to explain the value of movies being removed and then eroded in the new price.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Kevbaz 

Bring up your parents most recent bills and/or contract on their "myVM" online account to be sure of which TV/broadband tiers they're on. You've mentioned "top TV package" but that could mean a few different things.

Then have a play with build a bundle to get an idea of current standard pricing for a) The closest equivalent to what they have, b) Whatever package they would like now. Disregard the references to the V360 - that's for new customers and is voluntary for existing users.

You should certainly get a discount on the standard pricing in exchange for a new 18month contract.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good morning @Kevbaz 

Welcome back to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

I am sorry to hear that you have had some issues with your parents bill.

Are you able to pass DPA on behalf of your parents?  

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Kevbaz
On our wavelength

Hi Zak

Not sure what dpa is sorry

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

DPA stands for Data Protection Act, and in this case it means that you'd known enough details to pass the relevant data security checks on the account.  Unless you have a power of attorney agreement, or are a named individual on the account, that should also mean that you have the account holder on the phone to confirm that you have authority to negotiate on their behalf.  Bear in mind that because of VM's woeful customer service, any call to change a package could be repeatedly passed round different teams, and each time you should have to go through the ID checks.

Before going any further, get yourself over to USwitch, and see what comparable packages are being offered by Sky and BT, and how much they are.  In negotiating a discount many people don't realise that customer loyalty counts for nothing, value for money counts for nothing, "fairness" counts for nothing, the deals VM offer to new customers count for nothing.  The only leverage a customer has is the threat of leaving + knowledge of better value equivalent deals on offer from competitors.

You need to move fast if any changes have already been made to the bundle or price, then the 14 day cooling off period has started.  Once outside that they're locked in for 18 months.  I'd recommend against either the online chat or the online upgrades - only the "customer retention" team can offer VM's best deals.  Having done your research at Uswitch (or any other price comparison website), phone up selecting options for cancelling the VM service, know before you start of the call what you want the price/bundle outcome to be, and know what you will settle for (have these two boundaries written down in front of you along with the table above).  You need to have these boundary values firmly fixed because you won't usually be able to negotiate a deal and leave it on the table whilst you consider it, that's not how the system works.  The agent you are dealing with will probably be paid a bonus if they can retain you, but won't be paid the bonus if you end the call with "I'd like to think about that".  Even if there's notes on the system, any subsequent agent will probably want to start the whole discussion from scratch.

Explain that the current package is still far too expensive despite the recent discussions, you're invoking your cooling off rights with a view to leaving VM, and you hope they can help because you're seriously considering the offer from Company Z, and that's only £Y a month, and would save you £XXX over 18 months.  See what they say and what discount they can offer.  Usually the first offer is far from the best, and it that applies then say "thanks but that's still not enough, it is nowhere near Company Z's price, starting from the price you just quoted, what does that become if I downgrade my package?"  Ignore any "throw ins" that you don't want such as (perhaps) a free SIM or a channel package you wouldn't have chosen. 

If you're going to accept the VM offer, this will be a new 18 month contract, get the agent to run through all important aspects including speed, any TV bundles (and channels important to you), any landline and landline add ons, so that this should be recorded on VM's systems in case there's any problem later on.  If the BT or Sky alternatives are adequate, and VM's best offer still above your minimum, be prepared to say "no" and walk away and cancel.  Given that it seems the 14 day cooling off period has started, you may need to cancel the changes under cooling off rights, but not cancel the service outright until the new service is installed in order to make sure they are not left without service.  Make it clear that's what you are doing to the agent if it comes to this.

Thanks for getting back to us @Kevbaz please forgive the jargon.

My colleague was meaning account security.  

Regards

Lee_R

Kevbaz
On our wavelength
Hi Lee

Thank you, and yes i can "pass DPA" for my parents 🙂

Thanks for getting back to me @Kevbaz

As you can pass account security, I would ask that you call our Customer Relations team on 0345 454 1111 or 150 from any Virgin Media SIM or landline.  They will do a review of the account and find the best deal that they can offer your parents.

Regards

Lee