cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taking Virgin Media to Court

benedictxvii
Joining in

Hi,

CISAS on CEDR ruled in my favour against VM and obliged compensation. VM have said three times a cheque was on its way, each time not arriving within the time they said it would, and even now has yet to arrive.  It even going past the CEDR deadline that was set. CISAS have marked the obligation as fulfilled since VM say the cheque is on its way. However I have zero faith it will arrive at all. I now plan to take them to small claims court as I believe that is the next step.

Has anyone had any experience of this? How did you go about it?

Thanks in advance,

B

6 REPLIES 6

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Process detailed here:

https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money

Given Virgin Media say they have sent a cheque on several occasions, are you sure they have your correct address?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Mobile/Virgin-media-cisas/m-p/5036326/hig...

An alternative to taking VM to court would be to initiate a complaint to CISAS about their performance.  As per link above, CISAS do not have formal enforcement teeth, but they can certainly threaten to suspend VM's membership, and that would be a huge problem because VM can't operate without membership of an approved adjudication scheme.  Phone up CISAS, ask about their complaint procedure for complaints about CISAS failure to take actions within its powers to force VM to comply (ie, you're complaining about CISAS not VM). 

However, before any court or further complaint actions, follow @Ernie_C 's excellent advice to make sure that VM have the correct address for you.

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @benedictxvii,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm sorry to hear that you're waiting on a cheque refund. A cheque refund can take up to 30 days to be produced, though normally is much quicker than that.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Thanks very much.

Yes they definitely have the address.

Them saying they've sent it multiple times has been them saying they've sent it, then them saying 'whoops no we didn't, we've now sent it' — twice! And now CISAS have closed the case and that was our only channel of communication. It now has failed to show up the third time they said.

The timeline is:

29/4/22

CISAS: awards decision to me, and compensation of xxx, fulfilment deadline 1/6/22

3/5/22

VM: Cheque on the way, allow 20 working days

17/5/22

VM: We have forgotten to send your cheque, it will now be sent to [correct address],, please allow 10 working days to arrive

1/6/22

Me: It has not arrived

6/6/22

VM: Sorry for the delay, bank holidays etc. Please see evidence cheque was requested to on 1/6/22, will be in post within 3 working days. 

LOL at bank holiday excuse

6/6/22

CISAS: Case closed.

12/6/22

Me: Still no cheque

Hi benedictxvii, 

Thanks for coming back to us here in the community. 

Depending on the issue, and whether you have an account with us, I can certainly check the history of the account to see what the status of the cheque is. 

In order to do that, I will need to confirm some information with you. I have sent you a private message regarding this and will investigate further once I receive your reply. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

nordine
Tuning in

Thanks for your post, it's interesting.

I recently posted my case (Minions in idocratie).
I am just waiting for VM to starts harassing me to returning my broadband kit and not accepting to pay me compensation for total loss of service for which they are fully responsible.
I am also collecting 100's of stories about VM abuse against against ordinary people.

If that happens I will not only publish my story to social media (+100,000s' followers) and ruin their reputation, but also sue them in a real court, I have help.

I have read lots of bad stories about them and the behaviors with clients (not companies but those like you and me), which I find unacceptable and I also intent to publish a list.

N.