cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TRYING TO CANCEL

JanBee
Joining in

Hi there.  I am out of contract and have been trying to cancel for weeks.  I phoned on may occasions where I'm either put on hold (30+minutes), cut off, transferred, re-transferred, but off - it is so frustrating!  I have written a letter which was signed for 5th August giving my 30 day notice to cancel but have heard nothing.  I called again today - was transferred, held for 20 minutes and was cut off....  I have logged a complaint with Virgin and filled out the form for them to send me packaging to send back their equipment.  I am still waiting after 2 hours for someone to contact me via Whats App.  My question would be - is the letter sufficient enough to legally cancel my contract?  I used Royal Mail signed for which I have and through the text message service earlier today, I was able to tell them I wanted to cancel.  They said another department would deal with this and come back to me but still wait.  This has taken up my whole afternoon and I see on this forum this seems to be standard practice with Virgin.  Any help would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

If you have a signed for Royal Mail delivery to the Sunderland VM address for cancellations that should be sufficient for 'legal'/official purposes dating your cancellation to 5 August.

When I cancelled a few months ago (by letter) I saw an anonymous 'order' had appeared in 'My Virgin Media' (orders and appointments section). It didn't say what the order was for but it was a log of the start of the cancellation process. I later got a confirmation letter in the post. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any consistency for different customers.

One of the VM forum team should be able to look at your account and confirm the cancellation status for you. They normally reply within a day or two.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

19 REPLIES 19

goslow
Alessandro Volta

If you have a signed for Royal Mail delivery to the Sunderland VM address for cancellations that should be sufficient for 'legal'/official purposes dating your cancellation to 5 August.

When I cancelled a few months ago (by letter) I saw an anonymous 'order' had appeared in 'My Virgin Media' (orders and appointments section). It didn't say what the order was for but it was a log of the start of the cancellation process. I later got a confirmation letter in the post. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any consistency for different customers.

One of the VM forum team should be able to look at your account and confirm the cancellation status for you. They normally reply within a day or two.

jem101
Superstar

@JanBee wrote:

Snip....

My question would be - is the letter sufficient enough to legally cancel my contract?

...Snip

Legally? Yes it absolutely is!

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Do consider making Ofcom aware of the issues by filling in their monitoring form here Monitoring form | Ofcom; though Ofcom do not investigate individual reports they may take action when a detrimental pattern emerges.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

@用心棒 wrote:

Do consider making Ofcom aware of the issues by filling in their monitoring form here Monitoring form | Ofcom; though Ofcom do not investigate individual reports they may take action when a detrimental pattern emerges.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Ah yes I completely forgot to mention that. OFCOM's code of practice which VM signed up to, specifically mentions that cancelling should not be materially harder than signing up (something that VM seems to have forgotten about or think that it doesn't apply to them - oh it really does!). Although, yes OFCOM don't get involved in individual cases, given enough complaints they do have the power to give VM a metaphorical 'good kicking in the back alley', ie a fine.

So won't help you in any way, may help others though.

Thank you so much for your reply.  I finally got through via Whats App which has taken me 6 hours in total today.  They claimed no letter had been received (no surprise there) but they would put the cancellation through 30 days from today so I have argued it will be 30 days from receipt of their letter - that they finally have agreed to.  What a shambolic customer service! 

Thank you so much for this! I've finally got sorted after 6+ hours today....

Thank you - I definitely will.  What a frustrating process of weeks and 6+ hours later today they have finally started my cancellation!

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@JanBee wrote:

Thank you so much for your reply.  I finally got through via Whats App which has taken me 6 hours in total today.  They claimed no letter had been received (no surprise there) but they would put the cancellation through 30 days from today so I have argued it will be 30 days from receipt of their letter - that they finally have agreed to.  What a shambolic customer service! 

Glad to hear that. Stick to your guns and, if you find your signed-for delivery date of 5 Aug is not honoured, post back on here for further info. Also keep good records of all your comm's with VM during this process and what they have agreed to! Hope the rest all goes through smoothly for you.

Thank you I will. Finally sorted so while the red mist is still down I will put in that complaint!