cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stressed out with new broadband package

sam_soong
Up to speed

Just been upgraded to a new broadband package and not getting anywhere near the speeds I should. Was also told my ooomph sim is now longer valid so was given an O2 which I also pay for as part of my package. However this morning, I recieved an email saying I'm still a member of oomph and that it's just been renamed to something else. So it seems I'm paying for 2 different sims.

I'm sick of getting through to foreign call centers who sold me this package in the first place and with the language barrier, I have to repeat answers or questions all the time. I'd like a UK based agent to contact me and take ownership of this problem please.

Thank you and kind regards

21 REPLIES 21

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Well it's definitely a laptop problem, so nothing to do with the broadband connection. If you can't fix its built in LAN adapter you may have to get a 1Gb USB dongle. They're not expensive. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @sam_soong 

Are you using any type of third party equipment between the hub and your laptop?

For example a splitter, extension cable, router/modem, access point

If so that may be limiting the speed.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Nope just the Cat 8 cable

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@sam_soong wrote:

Nope just the Cat 8 cable

Are you running any bundled HP 'helper' programs which are managing control of the network card (rather than the built-in Windows features/utilities)? HP Omen Command Centre is mentioned in online blurb for your HP model and there seems to be a 'feature' in that called 'network booster' which prioritises certain app's/utilities. These 'helper' programs are often no help at all and can sometimes cause unwelcome and unexpected problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bNVssnhfY4

Try turning off the network booster temporarily and see if there is any change to your ethernet download speeds.

Hi, no network booster is always turned off. 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@sam_soong wrote:

Hi, no network booster is always turned off. 

Have you experimented with it turned on or other combinations of the auto/custom settings shown in the YT video to see how/if the ethernet download speed varies any? Or what effect the 'dual force' feature has (if any)? Only worth trying this though if you are confident in your own abilities in experimenting with the laptop's settings in this way and changing them back again if it does nothing useful!

The presence of the program may possibly be why you do not have control of some of the native Windows network settings.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Might just be worth trying another cable. Anything from Cat5e up should work.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

I only have a Cat 6 which I got with on my old hub. I bought the Cat 8 last week to see if that made z difference.

Hi @sam_soong thanks a lot for your reply.

Much appreciated to the other users in here such as @jpeg1, @newapollo and @goslow for contributing too. 

As they have mentioned, due to what you have explained it is not the Hub or the connection causing the speed loss to your laptop and is very likely the device itself.

If you can try the methods explained in here, even though some of them are at your expense again unfortunately, they may help resolve your issue.

Many thanks

Tom_W

Well like I've said to all the contributers in the the thread, I've tried everything they've all suggested already?