cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still getting marketing calls

27NickyBill
Tuning in

I opted out in November 2020 from all sales and marketing calls but this morning I had to make and official complaint because Virgin are still making them to both of my accounts.  My second account is my school age son who also gets these calls whilst in school!  Two hours after making my complaint I received yet another call from 0800 1836408.  This is a clear breach of confidentiality- how will you be compensating me for this harassment before I seek another provider for all services.

8 REPLIES 8

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi 27NickyBill

Sorry to hear this is happening and thankyou for bringing this to out attention 

Whilst we are not able to offer any compensation for this 

I can remove you from any marketing for you 

Let me know if you would like to get that done for you 

Gareth_L

Yes!  Absolutely I want zero marketing and sales calls to both of my mobile accounts, email and home phone. This should already be the case so I really want to understand how this has been allowed to happen.

Thanks 27NickyBill

To look into this for you

I will need to send you a private message to pass security 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great 
Regards     
Gareth_L

The Data Protection Act 2018, section 99, Right to object to processing applies.  https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2018/12/section/99/enacted

You need to give the organisation enough information to identify you. This may be your full name, address, email address or other information, such as your account number.

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/privacy-policy

If you’ve got any questions or concerns about our use of your personal information you can:

Write to us at:

Data Protection Team
    Virgin Media Limited
    Sunderland
    SR43 4AA

o   Send an email to dpo@virginmedia.co.uk

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@27NickyBill wrote:

I opted out in November 2020 from all sales and marketing calls but this morning I had to make and official complaint because Virgin are still making them to both of my accounts.  My second account is my school age son who also gets these calls whilst in school!  Two hours after making my complaint I received yet another call from 0800 1836408.  This is a clear breach of confidentiality- how will you be compensating me for this harassment before I seek another provider for all services.

This is one of the few occasions where registering with the TPS might actually be useful, if you have not done so already

https://www.tpsonline.org.uk/register

put in your own number(s) and those for your son.

You would then have an additional reason for VM not to contact you, as well as your VM opt-out.

If VM continue to contact you, you can also log a complaint with TPS once registered, after a certain time has elapsed.

You could also register a complaint with ICO that VM were not recording your marketing preferences correctly

https://ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint/your-personal-information-concerns/

However, I have had to log an issue (not related to VM) recently with ICO and got an automated reply that there was a backlog of 3 months before the issue would even be allocated to someone to look at the matter (so not necessarily a fast process!).

Doing either of the above might not have any direct effect on the actions of VM. It will, however, contribute to a body of evidence against VM for any widescale issues that may be identified if their marketing practices are running out of line with the rules and reg's.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply so thoroughly.  I responded to VM via private messages yesterday and as requested I listed the telephone numbers so they could ‘remove’ them.  Hey presto .. yesterday evening my son had another marketing call from them 😂. I have now registered with TPS and I did put a complaint through to ICO yesterday so even if nothing comes of it hopefully it will add to any evidence against VM overall.

Thanks 27NickyBill for those account details 

I have requested for all marketing, calls emails and letters to be supressed now 

It's not an immediate stop, as it can take a week or 2 to fully stop

Any more calls emails etc may already be pre planned with no time to stop them

Gareth_L

Hi 27NickyBill

I am sorry that this was not actioned fully back in 2020

This will now sorted I can assure you 

Gareth_L