cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shambolic start to my service .

rickj64
On our wavelength

Where to start . Install of BB today .I purchased the MSE deal of 100mbs @ 23:95 a month ,100 credit with zero set up fees . Engineer installed router 5 metres away from my original one which has 3 ethernet cables ,left me with no sky multiroom and basically said re cable it yourself . 2nd , Bills bear no resemblance to my offer ... Iam being charged 25 a month with 35 fee to activate despite my screenshot showing zero. 3rd 1 room has poor WiFi ( used the scan app) .4Th impossible to speak to a UK based CS rep.Spent hours on text messages ,chat etc and complete waste of time . Clearly the terrible virgin reviews are true .. what a idiot IAM ! .Thank God I have 14 days cooling off . How can a company get so much wrong !! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was waiting for booster pods for seven months and gave up asking, my package was £100pm.

Hours on the phone to India to be told they weren't available.

In the end I bought TPLINK wifi extenders from Argos which helped.

I am currently leaving Virgin Media for BT's fullfibre, install day tomorrow.

(PS. Leaving is a full time job too. Hours on the phone multiple times)

17/18 years of VM at an end. Wish you well.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

36 REPLIES 36

Rickj63
Joining in

Signed up to the mse deal online approx 2 weeks ago ,install was yesterday so I've 14 days cooling off from yesterday. Despite hours spent on useless chat or call centre message my bill is completely wrong ... Deal was 23.95 for the 100mbs with zero set up fees and 100 credit ,( screenshot to show although I shouldn't need to prove a deal which was post by a huge site with a huge uptake .

My bills show 25 a month ,35 activation fee and 100 credit which has now disappeared to 65 so clearly NOT zero set up fees . It was a mse exclusive deal which most are on their site . Apparently customer service say a bill hasn't been generated yet despite my charges being clearly showed on the App. How many MSE members signed up only to find virgin are incapable of billing you correctly .I've spent more time on this than I ever spoke to Sky CS in 7 years of service . It appears virgin don't know what deals they are advertising which is misleading not to mention illegal .

Next message to mse  via Mr Lewis to advice of this.

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

How can a company get so much wrong !! 

By working hard to cut every possible corner, regardless of the consequences. 

If you persevere, then all of those problems can be resolved, and when VM's service works, it is reliable, consistent and fast. The forum staff (who are one of the few redeeming factors of VM's customer contact) should be able to sort out the billing, they ought to be able to confirm the install needs and if need be send a technician back to do the job properly.  But VM's telephone and chat services remain a perennial disappointment that dishes out frustration and misery far too often, and you'll probably have to pay for the fixes to improve the mediocre wifi from the hub, either an extra £5 a month for a booster pod, or buy your own wifi kit outright for £70-130.  And despite the obvious need there's no competent online help or account management capabilities.

If you phone to cancel there's a good chance the retention agent will ask why and try and get the various problems sorted out, and most (but not all) sales and retentions calls are handled by competent UK call centres.  It's once you're an existing customer that almost all phone contact with VM is via the world's worst offshore call centres.

Your choice - persist in hope, and cross your fingers that once the initial issues are sorted you never need to speak with VM again, or exercise those cooling off rights.  

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi rickj64

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

I am sorry to hear of this and will address each point you've raised.

The SKY multiroom would be the easiest one to start with - we wouldn't be able to get involved in that as nothing to do with us, not our product. I am sorry about that but that would be why the engineer didn't do anything in relation to that.

The offer and the billing, do you have screenshots of this or documentation? If so, I'd be delighted to assist in sorting this out. 

The router positioning, we'd have put it in the ideal location for you to receive the best connection. Apologies to hear about the WiFi issue though - I'd advise using our Connect App to do a WiFi scan in the property. This should identify any coverage blackspots and either resolve this or prompt you to order a pod if needs be.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Others on here are far more expert in the broadband & WiFi side, but just to drop in a little food for thought...

All of the mainstream providers, sell you a broadband connection. The wireless coverage in your home is down to all manner of factors which are outside their control - the router that is provided is a basic one to include free of charge. VM offer the booster type pods in some circumstances, but you will often find that spending a little extra cash yourself on a properly installed WiFi system that you then own regardless of broadband provider, is ultimately a better solution.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Morning John . thanks for reply . I showed the engineer where my sky router was positioned and left him to it . The router had 3 ethernet cable coming through a wall to address coverage problems . Iam a 1 at time virgin customer and didn't realise they use a satellite type cable rather than the telephone style one sky ,by use . This meant my 3 devices which ran via the cable now we're reliant on WiFi only signal hence why my multiroom wouldn't work  He basically said rewire the box to your original position !! 

The offer was from Martin Lewis mse site so I am amazed anyone needs proof that it existed but will show screenshot . If virgin are giving mse exclusive deals then they should be 100% aware as Mr Martin Lewis wouldn't allow deals on his site which aren't verified .

Yes I did a hotspot check which identifies the room with my sky multi box hence why I spent 5 hours in lockdown cabling the room drilling through walls etc . 

My main concern is the billing which breaks the agreement I signed up to . I can sort moving the box myself but maybe other customers would struggle .

I will upload the screenshot but virgin should already be aware of the deal . It was a offer on a weekly email from MSE with a fairly long end date .

If the billing is not sorted I will be leaving as I don't take kindly to a company clearly not offering what they advert stated .

Regards again for help 

Screenshot_20210711_072747_com.android.chrome.jpg

I think people are missing my point with respect . My original sky router was positioned in same area the virgin guy left his . I moved the sky router to a dedicated area in the hall to accept 3 Ethernet cables so the room I had problems with were overcome . I even showed the guy the router and room which I had previously had problems with so he must be pretty dumb to then install in a different position . It would of added about 15/20 mins for a experienced installer if that to install in the same position. By the time I realised where it was and the fact I now had 2 devises with low signal I frankly had had enough .

Unfortunately we will have to agree to disagree on the capabilities of a router in 2021 when you buy a service . Providers don't advertise their routers as being " rubbish " so please buy a decent one when you realise .. Sky also supplied booster free of charge without a further monthly rental .

Thanks for the reply all the same 

Screenshot_20210710_192430_com.yahoo.mobile.client.android.mail.jpg

Thanks for coming back to me Rick.

Have you got email confirmation that you signed up for that deal. 

If so, let me know and we can sort via PM

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

rickj64
On our wavelength

Hi Richard,

Thanks for choosing Virgin Media, here’s a summary of your order. We’ll send confirmation of your engineer installation date soon.

Your order summary
Order reference:
CH2001501506
Order date:
Package:
Broadband + Phone
M100 Fibre Broadband & Talk Weekends
Offer:
£100 bill credit
Installation address:
[removed]
Selected engineer install date:
Your Payment
Your first payment £0
Next monthly payment £23.95
What's next

We'll confirm engineer date

We'll email your contract

Enjoy your services
We hope you love your new services.
The Virgin Media Team

This email came from an unmonitored inbox so please don't hit reply. If you'd like to get in touch, visit www.virginmedia.com.

UK's fastest widely available broadband: Virgin Media M350 (avg 362Mbps) / M500 (avg 516Mbps) vs widely available ISP download speeds, for verification see virginmedia.com/fast. M500 only available as part of Ultimate Oomph bundle. Terms apply.

Inclusive servicing/repairs: Excludes misuse/mistreatment and accidental damage. See terms and conditions. Equipment remains property of Virgin Media.

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]