cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Save money if I opt to downgrade my broadband speed?

scarletp
Superfast

Am out of contract and currently on M100 package which I pay £54 for.  I need to start saving money somehow.   Has anyone found reducing their broadband speed has made much difference? 

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @scarletp 

The following link shows the various speed tiers and what to expect on each tier.

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/speeds 

If you speak to retentions (thinking of leaving us) you should be able to negotiate and get the price of the stand alone 100M broadband down to £44, and probably less if you can give them figures and prices of other suppliers.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

21 REPLIES 21

Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi scarletp,

Thanks for posting on our community forum. Can we ask if you have checked our existing customer deals online? We have some amazing deals for our long-standing customers. You can check the link here

Sometimes, by adding additional services you can get a cheaper deal, however it depends if this is what you would like to do.

By reducing your Broadband speed to 50mb package you may make a small saving, however bear in mind, that this will have an effect on your speed, especially if online gaming is involved.

We have included a link here to explain the difference in speeds before you make your decision.

Kind regards Jodi. 

Thank you very much for the info Jodi,

Adding TV to my package is not really an option. I have looked into this before but due to the location of our TV it would involve a lot of work and hassle as well as substantial cost.

Incidentally the link you included regarding speeds is dead. 

Regards

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @scarletp 

The following link shows the various speed tiers and what to expect on each tier.

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/speeds 

If you speak to retentions (thinking of leaving us) you should be able to negotiate and get the price of the stand alone 100M broadband down to £44, and probably less if you can give them figures and prices of other suppliers.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

machineghost
Rising star

If you pay 54 for 100mb and nothing else then that sounds expensive

i pay £56 for

500mb broadband

maxit tv selection 200 odd channels

v6 box for recording

landline

you should be able to get around 100mb for 25£ if you are willing to shop around

The link to amazing deals says I have to call the phone number; it would be amazing to be able see the amazing deals

Hi machineghost,

My package of £54 includes the 100MB broadband and also the phone line (which I forget about as we rarely use the landline), usually our calls cost a little over £1 as normally use mobile.  I am happy with my broadband speed but not the price.

By the way, I managed to see the deals using the link provided but I had to sign in and enter my postcode.  In my case the 2 options were not suitable as do not want TV.  If I ever move house that would indeed be an option though. 

Interesting about the link; I gave my post code too, and then it said call us 🤷 

steveclifford54
On our wavelength

Ring them and get retentions, say you have been offered 100mb with another provider and unless they match it your gone.

Although im still in contract at 69 per month, its cheaper for me to pay up the contract  because they offered me 100mb with phone for 28, so you could save 26 pmth

It still amazes me that Virgin Media chooses to make this so difficult.
The "amazing deals" for existing customers listed on this page https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/existing-customer-deals only shows further upgrades, extra things that can be added on (such as the Manchester United tv channel). It doesn't show packages lower down the range.

Just imagine how many calls to the retentions and disconnections teams could be saved if customers could see prices for themselves.