cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retentions team agreed price not honoured

VMFAN
Tuning in

After getting a good offer from Vodafone and being not happy with my VM services I decided to leave after over 15 years. Getting nowhere on chat not to mention whatsapp where I never managed to chat with a real person yet I called VM. I was transferred around 3 times because nobody managed to offer me a better deal than Vodafone so I insisted on leaving. After the 3rd transfer I talked to a seemingly nice guy with a Scottish accent and a very bad phone line (shouldn't be the case with a telecom company's customer service...). He started high and then went lower, then put me on hold, then put me on hold again when after about 20-30 minutes we have agreed on a price. I was offered £25 for the 500 Mbps broadband only. No price rise for 18 months and no installation charge whatsoever. I have specifically asked to clarify all the above extra costs. 

I was told his manager needed to approve it and he needed special codes. Some of the codes did not seem to work. (I don't know what's the inner workings of a company to do with a customer and how can he agree on a price he can not honour straight away but that's another story.)

Anyway I was told I'd get an email with a slightly higher price but I should ignore it, then "straight after but definitely within 5 minutes" another email with the correct price. 

I have received the first email the next day (this morning) that is for 500Mbps for £40 plus £35 installation charge.  

That's not what we've agreed at all. I wasted hours again for nothing. Should have just cancelled straight away. Very dodgy service. 

8 REPLIES 8

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

not sure what the ins and outs of the follow up are - certainly if you were offered something VM have to offer it - proving it when its all verbal is difficult and you dont say upu have a recording - you can ask for the recorded call if it was made

will ask someone with far more knowledge than me on such things

@Andrew-G needs your expertise on this

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Thank you Tony, I've been with VM for many years but new around here. A google search brought me here and found that I'm far from being alone with my experience. At the beginning of the call there is an automated message saying that the call MIGHT be recorded. Then they transfer you around. If they don't want to use the record they can simply say that this conversation has not been recorded. The very last guy sounded like he was working from home possibly using a mobile or headset walking around in the meantime. I don't know if they record such calls. The people before sounded like a call center. 

I've got a feeling it all depends on their targets for the day/week/month. If they need to retain someone for one more day or two they promise something irresistible then won't honour it but it will not matter to them because if I left now it would go towards some new target. That is just an assumption on my side. 

Just a shame wasting so much time of mine. Now I will have to call them again to cancel, going through the 3 transfers possibly getting another offer. Or not. Who knows where they are with their targets at the moment I call them? 

Thank you anyway, I just needed to vent my frustration somewhere. 

The regulations are simply that if you accept an offer from someone who you would reasonably expect to be in a position to act on behalf of the company and is empowered to make such an offer, then the company is obliged to honour it.

The ‘reasonably expect’ clause is to protect against you, say talking in the pub to someone who happens to be, say, a cleaner for the company and they say, ‘well we can offer you gigabit broadband for 2p a month’. No reasonable person would imagine that the cleaner is empowered to make such an offer even if they are an employee so it wouldn’t be enforceable.

Even if the call eventually got routed to someone’s mobile working from home, then it really should have been recorded, but they do, as you say have a bit of a get out, in the calls ‘may’ be recorded.

In the event of a dispute escalating to the industry ombudsman, then they do tend to side with the customer in the absence of any recorded proof as long as your claim of what was agreed sounds reasonable.

Your supposition about targets for the week/month etc. is absolutely spot-on by the way.

The question here though is do you want to fight to get the offer agreed on the phone or simply cut your losses, cancel completely and sign up with an alternative provider?

Thank you for your reply. The problem is that I can not record the calls. Even if I did I'd have to announce it before starting a conversation with every single person. I don't know what would happen then. On my mobile phone this function is disabled now and third party apps do not work as they used to due to regional regulations as far as I know. This is why whenever and wherever I can I do everything in writing. This can not be done in writing as far as I know with VM. Their whatsapp service is a joke. I'm still on "hold" after 48 hours there. I appreciate they're busy there is staff shortages everywhere. Fair enough. Put me in a queue, call me back whenever BUT honour whatever we've agreed on. When I used to call them normally they always sent me a confirmation email whilst on the phone but now they have this dodgy sounding "I need this and that code to apply on your account only my manager can approve I can't do it straight away" nonsense which reminds me of cheap car dealer tactics when they always had to call their "manager" for a better deal. 

Regarding your last question I don't know what should or will I do. I'll probably give it a few more days. They'll deliver the new equipment in 2 day's time. I won't open it just yet. This offer is £7 better a month for the same service as Vodafone so very tempting as long as it exists and was not just a dishonest offer to retain me for a few more days. Sad to see it's not a rare occurrence. 

Hi VMFAN, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you on board with us in the Community. 

I'm really sorry to hear that you've been offered something that's not been correctly applied. I can certainly look in to this for you but I will need to pass data protection with you first. 

I have sent you a private message regarding this and will investigate further once I receive your reply. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.
Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi VMFAN, 

Thanks for coming back to me via private message. 

I'm glad we've been able to get things sorted for you. 

I look forward to completing things next week. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Thank you Kath, I appreciate the quick help from you. 

To confirm to others on the forum now the originally agreed terms now have been promised to me so I'm happy to say I'm staying with Virgin Media.

Great service on the forum side of the company! 

Hi VMFAN, 

No problem at all - happy to help 🙂

Speak next week. 

In the meantime if you have any further issues, you know where we are. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team